BFT08 - Emergency Manual Reversion Landing

I seem to have a problem with one aspect of these missions. Still, all good fun!

I can't do the Manual Reversion Landing at all. At a certain point, my aircraft just starts a roll shaking that I can't do anything about. I can't click on anything in the cockpit, e.g. emergency landing gear lever, because there is too much movement. Stick movement does nothing.

I've watched the YT video, but my aircraft just doesn't behave in the same way once I switch off the necessary things.

Any tips?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Try and reduce speed and center the joystick before turning on the Manual Reversion.

When it's on you have to fly with the trim knob instead of the joystick. Too much joystick and you will get huge oscillations.

It's very challenging but the more you play with it the more feel you get for how to fly under those conditions. Good luck!

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Thanks, but I managed to do it in the end. Don’t know how, to be honest. Just randomly seemed to stabilise.

On to mission 9!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...

I had also problems with the Manual Reversion Landing.

After the failure of both hydros I activated FLAP EMER RETR and FLT CONT MAN REVERSION. But the bird begun to swing from left to right (aileron) and back all the time. No matter of speed or inputs.

The only way to fix it was to switch back to FLT CONT NORM.

Then I was able to stabilize the flight and land.

I don't know if that was cheat, but the mission was a success.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

• 2 months later...

I too have the oscillation of death problem. Nothing seems to fix it (including repairing DCS).

I cannot fly it with just trim while MAN REV is on because the oscillations are too violent. My strategy was to just flip on and off MAN REV quickly to catch any triggers, then fly the plane without hydraulics using the stick for pitch and yawing with the rudders for directional control. Just did a long gradual decent and straight in. Nailed the landing at the threshold around 145kts. Emergency Brake helped to stop me quickly. Got a qualified rating. Was a fun mission, but something with the MAN REV is still bugged.

Oscillation problem seems to be a bug in DCS when the A-10 is not loaded with any payload.

I added a TGP and a pair of Aim9 in the armament menu at the start of the mission, and it corrected the oscillation.

Do not forget to activate the emergency brakes, and try not to lock the wheels !

Toutes les grandes personnes ont d'abord été des enfants, mais peu d'entre elles s'en souviennent.

Three Point Landing

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/20/2019 at 7:59 PM, Sabre-TLA said:

After testing we have added a TGP and ECM pod and that seems to correct the oscillation problem.

Updated files have been sent to ED to be included in the next patch update.

Thanks for sending the files in, Sabre. However, just so you are aware, as of Feb 2021 the oscillation is still occurring.

What speed were you at and were you flying with pitch and wings level when you enabled the manual reversion?  We noticed in testing that if the pitch and wings were not level then the oscillation was very pronounced and immediate.  We will test again in case something changed in the last update.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, Sabre-TLA said:

What speed were you at and were you flying with pitch and wings level when you enabled the manual reversion?  We noticed in testing that if the pitch and wings were not level then the oscillation was very pronounced and immediate.  We will test again in case something changed in the last update.

I followed your advice on at least 2 attempts and ensured that I was straight and level, with zero stick input. I believe my speed was between 200-230KIAS.

Honestly, its not a huge concern, because I followed McCallaway's advice and adding a TGP and ECM pod to either wing completely solved the oscillation.

• 4 weeks later...

It's definitely challenging, you have to stabilize first (but quickly, within 30secs) then do the button clicking or else you'll fail. I fell out of the sky 4-5 times until I got the hang of it. Very subtle adjustments will keep you stable, just stay all over the pitch trim because she's touchy!

Spoiler

Pitch trim is reversed in manual reversion, if you didn't already know

• 1 month later...

I have same problems, so I went to train on custom mission with hydraulics failures, and I was surprised how much differently it behaves. In BFT08 I managed to bring it under control few times, but at some random time it just starts diving into ground and game over. That never happened in custom mission tests (it's hard but I can land with manual reversion).

Also, A-10C manual has this written under preconditions for Manual Reversion Landing: "no ECM pods can be loaded on stations 1 and 11". But this mission has exactly that. Still, I guess it makes no difference, same problem in BFT08 happens if I have empty loadout or default TGP+ECM.

EDIT: So, I managed to handle it much better, if oscillations happen, I stabilize,... all looks fine with descend and suddenly plane turns into a brick and can't be recovered. It happens at different speeds, with gear down or up, while adjusting pitch with trim or with stick, with empty loadout or default from mission... I'm out of ideas what more to try. Or, how to produce same failure on custom mission, so I could try it without need to play whole 08 mission.

Edited by Blackbird7

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issues with this training mission, everything goes well until the last- manual reversion. To me it seems like a bug because same was reproduced outside the campaign, with a single player mission where I had to perform a landing and no issues landing (not a simple task). The plane spirals out of control and i was very gentle on the stick and trims.

• Like 1

I'm glad that someone confirmed this. I skipped that mission and finished all others, going through advanced campaign now. As you wrote, it looks very much as a bug.

Maybe I did something wrong, but it's impossible to practice a lot, as you have to go through whole mission to get to that part. And in custom single mission it all works, same as in BFT08 videos from others.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problems as described here by others. The plane is near impossible to get under control.

Upon closer inspection and several tries it looks as if the flaps don't retract after using the emergency retract switch. Perhaps this is the reason behind the uncontrolable wobble / pitching?

Using latest open beta btw. at the time of writing this post.

Also, for whatever reason the mission registered as success for me even though I either died or ended it before my plane crashed. The follow up attempts were done via mission builder and the practice version of said mission.

EDIT: Just tested this on a cold start mission - and flaps emergency retract switch actually lowers flaps fully. I'm guessing this is a bug...

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I wonder if it's related to the previous failures occurring before the MR is started.  Previously we had added stores to the wings as some had reported more stable flight with the stores mounted.  We will do some more testing to see if we can isolate the issue but it's likely not something in the mission itself as the game engine controls the flaps and flight dynamics.

The mission will end with a sufficient score to continue the campaign (even if you failed the mission).  This is to resolve issues where users would get stuck on a mission and give up on the campaign because they couldn't get past the one mission.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

On 6/9/2021 at 6:06 AM, Sabre-TLA said:

The mission will end with a sufficient score to continue the campaign (even if you failed the mission).  This is to resolve issues where users would get stuck on a mission and give up on the campaign because they couldn't get past the one mission.

Thankgod for that

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem of flying too unstable in manual reverse mode.
Here is my solution to the problem.

I went into the mission editor and looked at the weather conditions in the mission. The turbulence is set to 10 m/sec, the wind at an altitude of 500 meters comes to 11 m/sec and in different directions.
The instructor in the mission says that manual reverse mode is used in good weather conditions, with crosswind not exceeding 20 knots (10m/sec).

I removed the turbulence and wind at 0 and the plane is much more controllable.
At least the turbulence should be removed and the wind reduced.
I suggest the developers to test my solution and fix the mission.

DCS version 2.7.10.19473 stable.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by суховей
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello

I'm trying this mission with the A-10CII, latest version of DCS. I did this a few years back in the old version and I can't recall having any problems then. Now however, when the left hyd system fails, the plane pitches up rapidly and in most cases goes into a flat spin which I'm unable to recover from. I looked at the video by Recon Stewart, and in that case the aircraft remains more or less stable. I've checked my controls and adjusted the null zone, so there should not be an issue there. In one instance I managed to recover, but while maneuvering for the airport, the aircraft suddenly pitches down and I'm unable to recover.

I do not have the issue with the flapping ailerons, they remain stable. What I've tried is to both click the manual reversion and flap retract switch at once, and also tried to delay it while I try to recover, and the result is the same. I also tried to trim forward a bit so that I have fly with some backpressure, but it made no difference. I also tried to recrate the scenario in a random flight by switching to manual reversion. In that case I was able to fly the plane, but it will eventually pitch down and crash (that might be a bug with the flight model?)

Has anyone successfully done this mission with the new version of the A-10? 

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for maintaining this fantastic campaign series!

I completed the BFTQ with the A10C legacy few years ago. Now I'm redoing this campaign again with the A10C II just because it is superb!

As described by the other posts, the manual reversion landing seems to be bugged again. For me it shows all the symptoms: High pitch at the beginning, crazy strong oscillating. I managed to get the bird under control. However, as soon as I extend my landing gear the plane goes down like a brick. No recovery possible.

If it helps, I can record the procedure.

Fly safe

For instance: I did the Manuel Reverse Flight Mission in Iron Flag I (Baltic Dragon). Seems to be no problem. The plane behaves clonky but manageable.

Edited by Emuyen