New Computer

HardTime

Install DCS modules you want on your new computer. Then copy your DCS configuration folder from Saved Games (from old to the new) to keep your settings, configuration and other custom things like missions, logbook, etc.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I am looking for advice on moving to a new computer and transferring all of my modules. Any advice or pointers is appreciated.

The first item, is deactivate all of your purchased modules (aircrafts, terrains and campaigns), that way you get back the prior activation of those modules.

Second, backup the DCS program proper, the folder is usually at /Program Files/eagle dynamics/

Third, backup your settings, usually at /saved games/DCS/

Once you have the new computer ready, restore both the program and the settings and start DCS .. it will ask the keys of the modules that use starforce and activate them.

Be sure to have the keys at hand, you can see them here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/order/?backurl=%2Fen%2F

.. click on "details" to see each key .. newer modules dont have keys, thats normal.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

... I wanted to do a fresh install ...

DCS is one of the few games that doesnt need fresh installs :) ... thanks to the wonderful DCS_UPDATER.EXE utility.

With it, you can wipe out any extraneous file that is located within the program's files, leaving only factory DCS' files .. using:

DCS_UPDATER CLEANUP

The remaining files can be checked with factory images, and replaced with correct files in case your's have been tempered with ... the command is:

DCS_UPDATER REPAIR

So, you can just copy your old DCS install and run these two commands to make sure that it's contents is correct.

As for your settings and configs, you can rename your current setings (thus creating a backup) and on its first start DCS will create a default settings folder. You can later move to it specific settings (from the backup) as needed.

I only recommend a fresh install if you are going from DCS 1.5/2.0 into 2.5

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Do I only need to deactivate the middle once if I have both the 2.5 release and 2.5 beta running?

Correct .. the activation is stored on the Windows' registry only once, thus, when you deactivate a Module it gets inoperative on both DCS installs at the same time.

Be sure to deactivate not only the planes, but also the Maps and paid Campaigns if you have any.

DCS is one of the few games that doesnt need fresh installs :) ... thanks to the wonderful DCS_UPDATER.EXE utility.

With it, you can wipe out any extraneous file that is located within the program's files, leaving only factory DCS' files .. using:

DCS_UPDATER CLEANUP

Thanks for that tip.. Was not aware of the CLEANUP function, only REPAIR. :thumbup: