Need to move FXO/ folder from Saved Games, how ?

shakamaca

Hi

I've had my Saved Games/ folder backup up on Onedrive since forever and I just figured why I am having such bad stuttering in DCS.

There seems to be a lot of traffic in the filesystem under FXO/ where I guess shaders are compiled ?

My problem is that my entire Saved Games folder is getting synced to Onedrive and that causes stuttering in DCS. Very bad stuttering.

I can disable syncing while playing and the stuttering goes away.

But since it can only be disabled for 1, 2 or 8h depending on how long I play the stuttering will start again.

However I would rather move fxo (and any other high traffic folder) folder away from Saved Games to get rid of stuttering.

The reason I have my files synced to Onedrive is that I spent hours and hours on configuring all my planes and choppers keybindings and I am not about to lose them hence I have them all backed up in Onedrive.

Can I manually point DCS to place the FXO folder somewhere else than in my synced folder ?

Cheers!

Can you just sync the Config folder only?

I will not matter if you use a junction link point and move fxo, if you are syncing the whole saved games folder

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I've tried to see if there is any exclude options or such in Onedrive config but if there is one I can't find it.

What I would have liked to do is move fxo out from Saved Games folder entirely. Perhaps into c:\temp or something like that.

I sync my entired Saved Games folder because once I did lose _a lot_ of saved games after I reinstalled my computer and well.. Where games choose to their save location in windows seems to be the wild west so I lost more than half.

To illustrate the wild west example I had to abandon having my documents in the Documents/ folder because it is now full of savegames :doh:

the other alternative you have is a write a batch file to handle this

1. first bit closes one drive and stops its services

2. next bit starts dcs.exe and sets it to wait until dcs.exe closes/crashes

3. last bit start one drive services and one drive program, then batch file exits

Might not be a bad idea.

I have written a script to handle the dead position on my Warthog and map them to a virtual joystick so I can bind even the dead positions to keys in DCS.

I always forget to start this before launching DCS so a .bat might be one way to go. I will check if there is any way to exclude folders from Onedrive. Or some other smart solution.

Otherwise, a .BAT file it is...

Thanks

is there a rigth click option on the fxo folder related to onedrive ? -> options or something

Hi

I've had my Saved Games/ folder backup up on Onedrive since forever and I just figured why I am having such bad stuttering in DCS.

There seems to be a lot of traffic in the filesystem under FXO/ where I guess shaders are compiled ?

My problem is that my entire Saved Games folder is getting synced to Onedrive and that causes stuttering in DCS. Very bad stuttering.

I can disable syncing while playing and the stuttering goes away.

But since it can only be disabled for 1, 2 or 8h depending on how long I play the stuttering will start again.

However I would rather move fxo (and any other high traffic folder) folder away from Saved Games to get rid of stuttering.

The reason I have my files synced to Onedrive is that I spent hours and hours on configuring all my planes and choppers keybindings and I am not about to lose them hence I have them all backed up in Onedrive.

Can I manually point DCS to place the FXO folder somewhere else than in my synced folder ?

Cheers!

Holy smokes man, you like doing everything the hard way, don't you?

$5 USB flash drive. Back up your files. Remove drive and place in desk drawer.

Done!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Holy smokes man, you like doing everything the hard way, don't you?

$5 USB flash drive. Back up your files. Remove drive and place in desk drawer.

And you will remember to repeat that procedure every few days? ... you should not be so quick in mocking others ..

I too use OneDrive to backup part of my DCS configuration ... I dont run into the OP troubles because I dont backup everything, just those items that I modify often:

Hotas Config

Missions

Liveries

I've them on this folder within my OneDrive, and link to them from within DCS & Saved Games using mklink /J commands:

FXKcWVV.jpg

One of the pluses of this cloud storage, is that it keeps old versions of the files, so if for example I make a mistake editing one of my Hotas files, I can choose to recover it from among many prior versions:

WwJq8ax.jpg

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

me, I just use a batch file that 7z's the folder up and time stamps the 7z filename with date and time, set to to run everyday via task scheduler

And you will remember to repeat that procedure every few days? ... you should not be so quick in mocking others ..

I too use OneDrive to backup part of my DCS configuration ... I dont run into the OP troubles because I dont backup everything, just those items that I modify often:

Hotas Config

Missions

Liveries

I've them on this folder within my OneDrive, and link to them from within DCS & Saved Games using mklink /J commands:

FXKcWVV.jpg

One of the pluses of this cloud storage, is that it keeps old versions of the files, so if for example I make a mistake editing one of my Hotas files, I can choose to recover it from among many prior versions:

WwJq8ax.jpg

:)

This is a nice solution!

I forget there are links in Windows too (I come from Linux).

I might do it this way too because the config folder is the only one I believe is worth keeping around. Would solve my problem and maintain backups with history of my HOTAS setups :-)

I think my setups are worth their size in gold as I own almost every module and spent so much time configuring them that if I lost them I think I would just give up and play minesweeper instead ;-)

Gracias!

I will use this solution and stop backing up all of "Saved Games" folder. :)