Hi @rel4y

I tried to send an e-mail to mtwsims@tutamail.com, but it bounced back in error .. can you please tell me if it is still current?

thanks a lot,

Edit: Nevermind, I re-tried and it went trough 🙂

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am getting along nicely on a quest to a complete & up to spec F-16 HOTAS. 🙂 While there wasnt much time this week for CAD models, I have gotten pretty far along on the paddle switch. Yes, I know there is already a STEP file of the paddle around, but first of all I dont own the rights to use it and second I will get it more accurate to the original part.

Then, finally, I printed a calibration jig for the Cougar stick sensors so I dont have to mount every single sensor in the Cougar base for calibration. Thats quite a few years late, but better late than never! 😉 There is also another batch of Cougar stick sensors in the works and I am in the midst of assembling them currently. With the MSLA printer I will also be able to finally complete the MAN RNG sensor for the Cougar and also build an improved ANT v2 sensor in the future. The technology allows for much more precise prints than what was possible with the SLS printed Polyamide parts.

Furthermore, I can now offer analog MagREZ sensors based on the standard 34,4mm M3 hole spacing as well as digital TLE5011 ones. The only thing missing for these is a nice SMD stencil to make production easier, as currently the only option is hand soldering... 😕

paddle1.jpg IMG-20220313-022222.jpg IMG-20220313-022213.jpg IMG-20220313-022548.jpg

Lastly, I made a nice PTC heater unit to be able to print on my resin printer even in cold temperatures. The case is also MSLA 3D printed and its a project from thingiverse. It turned out well, so I thought I would show off some pics. 🙂

IMG-20220202-193512.jpg IMG-20220202-204639.jpg IMG-20220313-025103.jpg

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 4

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

On 2/17/2022 at 8:51 AM, rel4y said:

In case anybody owns a real F-16 CMS hat or knows a guy that does, please contact me and receive my eternal gratitude.

I have an F-16 grip and a replacement trigger,I can try to help you if needed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Guys, I have a question on the  REL4Y's USB board  in my 3.8v TQS BOARD, and whether the six pin connectors must be connected in a specfic

order? Also can I do the jumper wire to bypass the 3.8 resistor as shown in a Miles post.I am a total circuitry dunce.

GunslingerII

20220319_190835.jpg

Well... first, thank you all for making Cougar a state of the art HOTAS!

Bought mine in 2006 and never used it since now (2022)! Brand new and i also have Ant elevation knob with lack of center detent and little spikes.

Opened, cleaned it and it is a little bit better... It´s hard to find the right Pot to it... think i will go straight to HALL sensors, just mailed Rel4y.

You guys helped me getting it to work in Win 10 so thank you very, very, very much.

Greetings from Portugal,

Milker

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 5:40 AM, Smile2137 said:

I have an F-16 grip and a replacement trigger,I can try to help you if needed.

Man, that would be awesome! Ill send out a PM in a minute!

6 hours ago, Milker said:

Well... first, thank you all for making Cougar a state of the art HOTAS!

Bought mine in 2006 and never used it since now (2022)! Brand new and i also have Ant elevation knob with lack of center detent and little spikes.

Opened, cleaned it and it is a little bit better... It´s hard to find the right Pot to it... think i will go straight to HALL sensors, just mailed Rel4y.

You guys helped me getting it to work in Win 10 so thank you very, very, very much.

Greetings from Portugal,

Milker

Ill answer your email also in a minute! 🙂

23 hours ago, GunslingerII said:

Guys, I have a question on the  REL4Y's USB board  in my 3.8v TQS BOARD, and whether the six pin connectors must be connected in a specfic

order? Also can I do the jumper wire to bypass the 3.8 resistor as shown in a Miles post.I am a total circuitry dunce.

GunslingerII

The trhottle mainboard version doesnt matter for the USB standalone adapter, as it has its own voltage regulator. So dont worry about doing any bypass mod.

• Like 1

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

9 hours ago, GunslingerII said:

Got it  , no bypass needed. thanks for that

So , I assume the colored pin connections order makes no difference also?

There is a specific order of the six pin cable, but it depends on the version of the USB standalone adapter. I changed the layout on rev 1.3 to an easier all in line config. You can send me an email with your adapter revision and I will send you the corresponding PDF with instructions.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, rel4y said:

There is a specific order of the six pin cable, but it depends on the version of the USB standalone adapter. I changed the layout on rev 1.3 to an easier all in line config. You can send me an email with your adapter revision and I will send you the corresponding PDF with instructions.

got it will do

6 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

Hi rel4y, do you have any CH Pro Throttle mainboard upgrade available?

Cheers

Yes, in fact I do! Feel free to contact me via email. 🙂

• Like 1

I just tried to install the pot replacements I got from rel4y into my CH pro pedals (for the yaw axis, aka z axis). Word of warning: they do NOT fit into the assembly. The unit has posts that intersect where the replacement has wires and a blue thing (diode or something?) that's connected to it. The whole is would of needed the slots that keep it from spinning to be turned 90 degrees off from where it is now in order to fit. I have no way of closing the unit up like this and it's completely useless to me. So if you have a CH Pro Pedals and you are looking to replace the yaw pot with rel4ys's stuff.. technically it would probably work.. it fits into the stuff that turns it.. but it does NOT fit into the pedal assembly at all. You can't close it up as it intersects the electronics and it's in the way. So unfortunately I paid for something I can't use now.

Edited by csdigitaldesign

Hi csdigitaldesign,

I've carried out the upgrade you're talking about without issue. I'm trying to cast my mind back as it was about a year ago that I did this... So it should work, but IIRC there is a different pot design for the z axis... There was certainly one that was singled out and marked differently, so perhaps it's just a hiccup with which pot you got sent? I just found an email comment rel4y sent me at the time - "I forgot to mention, the mainboards are labeled with their intended devices and two sensors are labeled with "Z". These are for the pedals Z axis and the Fighterstick Z axis. I think you will instantly recognize what I'm talking about, once you receive the package"

Anyway, I'm confident that rel4y will be able to sort the problem out for you.

6 hours ago, Machinegun417 said:

Does anyone have the instructions for the F22 Pro USB 12 Bit resolution Mainboard??

Here is a picture of the axis layout of the mainboard (green text). Btw, the unlabled pins above the green ones are four more 12 Bit axes. Please ignore the pinout of the expansion bay (red text). The buttons of the grip itself are wired to a TM typical 4021 shift register and only five wires lead out of the grip. I dont know the wire code by heart, but will have a look. These five wires (VCC, GND, SCK, DATA, CS) need to be connected to the shift register inputs (red box).

CH-mainboard-rev1-3-pins2.jpg

Edited by rel4y

There is either left of the shift register pins (red box) a 0.1 in spaced 5P USB connector (says USB above it) or you can unplug the Micro USB and use it like the Cougar Throttle adapter with a Micro USB cable. Both are working the same and you can use whatever is more convenient. For my personal F-22 I bought a 5pin header to USB A cable and attached it to the USB pins. Below is a picture attached, but mine is a bit longer like 2m. You can look for "USB A to 5 pin dupont" eg.

$_10.JPG?set_id=2

PS: I found the F-22 shift reg pinout/ wire color. It seems to be the same as the Cougars.

green - GND
yellow - DTA
orange - SCK
red - CS
brown - VCC

Edited by rel4y

On 4/5/2022 at 1:02 PM, samtheeagle said:

Hi csdigitaldesign,

I've carried out the upgrade you're talking about without issue. I'm trying to cast my mind back as it was about a year ago that I did this... So it should work, but IIRC there is a different pot design for the z axis... There was certainly one that was singled out and marked differently, so perhaps it's just a hiccup with which pot you got sent? I just found an email comment rel4y sent me at the time - "I forgot to mention, the mainboards are labeled with their intended devices and two sensors are labeled with "Z". These are for the pedals Z axis and the Fighterstick Z axis. I think you will instantly recognize what I'm talking about, once you receive the package"

Anyway, I'm confident that rel4y will be able to sort the problem out for you.

I have heard nothing back from him since sending him images of the issue. It's been days. He responded in the beginning right away. Not sure why he's not responding. I won't assume he's ignoring me yet.. too soon for that. It definitely does not fit. Here are the images I sent rel4y. You can see the posts below the senor in the first image but they are mirrored on the other side of the clamshell casing. You can see what I mean in the top of the second image. If you look you can see the blue diode thingy on the left side of the sensor sticking out far too much to clear the post. If you flip it 180 the two posts on the other side have the same issue there is not enough room between them. You can angle the entire sensor 30-45 degrees or so so that it misses the post but then it does not calibrate correctly.

20220405_203922.jpg

20220405_203941-resized.jpg

8 hours ago, csdigitaldesign said:

I have heard nothing back from him since sending him images of the issue. It's been days. He responded in the beginning right away. Not sure why he's not responding. I won't assume he's ignoring me yet.. too soon for that. It definitely does not fit. Here are the images I sent rel4y. You can see the posts below the senor in the first image but they are mirrored on the other side of the clamshell casing. You can see what I mean in the top of the second image. If you look you can see the blue diode thingy on the left side of the sensor sticking out far too much to clear the post. If you flip it 180 the two posts on the other side have the same issue there is not enough room between them. You can angle the entire sensor 30-45 degrees or so so that it misses the post but then it does not calibrate correctly.

Thats weird. Ive answered your all emails within hours, please check your spam folder. The email attached below was sent on 4/6/22 14:45 CET. Ive told you in my first as well as my second answer you need to rotate the sensor by 180 degrees. You also need to bend the cables out of the way, from the pictures I can tell the post has squashed the cables. Best to stick the post through with one cable on the first side and two on the other. It definitely fits and your sensor isnt different than all the others I have sent out. You can temporarily install it in a footbrake to see that it not only technically works, but also in practice.

If for some reason your mould is different than mine, then maybe take a file and file off half a mm of the inside of both posts so the blue trimmer fits in between. Its hard to diagnose whats going wrong from afar.

I am sorry that you are having trouble installing it. If you really think you cant make it fit, then send it back to me and I will refund you.

Spoiler
It fit mine as well as around 20 other peoples CH Pro pedals, so Id be suprised if it didnt fit yours. The blue thing is a precision trim pot and needs to bent upwards slightly, then it will not interfere with either the bottom recess nor the distancing poles. If you bent it slightly it will fit in between the two posts on the other side as shown in your picture! You need to rotate in 180 degrees.

Did you see the message from the user samtheeagle in the forums?

Kind regards,
Marvin

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 7:54 AM, rel4y said:

Here is a picture of the axis layout of the mainboard (green text). Btw, the unlabled pins above the green ones are four more 12 Bit axes. Please ignore the pinout of the expansion bay (red text). The buttons of the grip itself are wired to a TM typical 4021 shift register and only five wires lead out of the grip. I dont know the wire code by heart, but will have a look. These five wires (VCC, GND, SCK, DATA, CS) need to be connected to the shift register inputs (red box).

CH-mainboard-rev1-3-pins2.jpg

Can you tell me where the wires go. Thanks

f22.jfif

Edited by Machinegun417

8 hours ago, Machinegun417 said:

Can you tell me where the wires go. Thanks

Absolutely! 🙂 The five signal wires of the stick go to the shift register bay of the upgrade mainboard. I will attach a picture which wire is what (the Cougar has the same color coding as the F-22 Pro afaik).

Cougar-SR.jpg

The following two pictures show the shift reg bay and the axes bay on the mainboard. The shift reg pins are labled with VCC, CS, SCK, DTA & GND (from left to right). DTA = data on the Cougar SR picture. Now it should be easy to follow the color coding and connect the pins correctly.

Ch-mainboard.jpg CH-mainboard-rev1-3-pins2.jpg

The two axes pots are connected in the following way, the two middle wires (green & gray) of the pots are connected to axis 1 and 2 pins. These are the signal output. Of the outer wires one must each be connected to the VCC and GND pin on the axes bay. Which way round doesn't really matter as pots have no polarity, it only results in the axes having its zero and max output reversed. But you can always adjust that to your liking afterwards in software.

Please only connect them to the VCC and GND pins of the axes bay, as this is the "analog" side of the board and will result in the most accurate voltage readings of the ADC.

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 1

Good to see you're still up and running @rel4y :thumbup:

Are you still working on that force sensor mod for the Cougar?

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...