TM F/A-18C STICK

Nospin44

Can someone tell me if TM take the cash from your card on pre-order or do they wait till dispatch like most suppliers?

They have already taken payment from my card for Throttle and Grip even though the Grip is not available until July 25th. Slightly miffed by that so I have asked if that means I will get the Grip earlier than planned :^)

Have also asked if the Throttle will be despatched soon.

EDIT: At eleast the throttle has been despatched, just waiting for the Virpil base and TM Grip.

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have already taken payment from my card for Throttle and Grip even though the Grip is not available until July 25th. Slightly miffed by that so I have asked if that means I will get the Grip earlier than planned :^)

Have also asked if the Throttle will be despatched soon.

EDIT: At eleast the throttle has been despatched, just waiting for the Virpil base and TM Grip.

Hmm, that is annoying. Do you mean the Warthog throttle? If so, why didn’t you just go for the Warthog stick/throttle combo rather than throttle and Virpil base? Cheaper and you would have a Warthog stick as well.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hmm, that is annoying. Do you mean the Warthog throttle? If so, why didn’t you just go for the Warthog stick/throttle combo rather than throttle and Virpil base? Cheaper and you would have a Warthog stick as well.

virpil base is years ahed the warthog one....

Two different products, and the virpil one is really much more better

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

virpil base is years ahed the warthog one....

Two different products, and the virpil one is really much more better

I don't doubt it is, but all I'm saying is that Warthog throttle/stick is £350 and throttle+Virpil is £450, so for £100 less plus a £240 stick thrown in, that's a huge financial difference to pay for a better base.

Out of interest, what are the big differences between TM base and Virpil?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

In short Virpil > TM. Details are all over the forums.

I'm sure it is. Without me going 'all over the forums', would it possible to briefly summarise why it is so superior with some detail?

As VirusAM says, it is a better stick base. It uses a cam design which should give better response around the centre, much like the MFG rudders compared with say Saitek.

The real problem is that TM force you to buy the whole WH HOTAS to get a decent price. It is actually cheaper to do what I did than buy the whole WH HOTAS pluse the Virpil base and toss the WH base into the cupboard.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I'm sure it is. Without me going 'all over the forums', would it possible to briefly summarise why it is so superior with some detail?

WH base = Round gimbal that is “notchy” around the center. Spring tension is distributed/mixed across X/Y axis as you move through range of travel.

Virpil Base = Center does not feel “notchy”, and spring tension is separated for X/Y. Cam profiles and springs can be changed to customize the feel.

Virpil base also supports more then 19 buttons and a third axis. The CM2 grip for example can perfectly mirror the WH button layout for the A-10C and has 9 more buttons and a 3rd axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both, the TM base is going into storage until I decide what to do with it. For that matter I'll probably stick with the Virpil grip which puts the WH in a box, but only because it has more controls, though it might need a little tweaking.

The Virpil base is much smoother, far easier to manage fine control around center (when I get ham-fisted applying the forces needed for that gun solution on the TM). I have an extension for the TM that helped the center control problem, but a non-extended Virpil is still smoother to use.

My guess is the same can be said for VKB and pretty much anyone else who has a cam base; WinWing wants you to think once you've used them you won't want anyone else (I've heard that before; wasn't true then either).

Thrustmaster is living on past glory, I'm afraid. I still use their throttle until I make my own or someone makes one I like, whichever comes first, but otherwise I'm off the Thrustmaster standard.

I'll pass on their new metal F-18 grip; it doesn't look any more right in my F-5 or Me-109 than the Soviet grip I'm using or the US A-10/F-16 I used to use. End of the day I'd rather stick to a single grip I'm comfortable using than worry about how realistically my home office replicates a jet office.

Just my half a denarii. YMMV. HTH. HAND.

WH base = Round gimbal that is “notchy” around the center. Spring tension is distributed/mixed across X/Y axis as you move through range of travel.

Virpil Base = Center does not feel “notchy”, and spring tension is separated for X/Y. Cam profiles and springs can be changed to customize the feel.

Virpil base also supports more then 19 buttons and a third axis. The CM2 grip for example can perfectly mirror the WH button layout for the A-10C and has 9 more buttons and a 3rd axis.

Very useful, thanks guys.

Looks like the Virpil is a non-starter for me from what is said in one of those threads, as I need TARGET to run scripts in a certain space sim.

Very useful, thanks guys.

Looks like the Virpil is a non-starter for me from what is said in one of those threads, as I need TARGET to run scripts in a certain space sim.

You can use target with the virpil base.

I do that without any problem.

You just need to modify certain values in the virpil software so target see the virpil base as a warthog.

There are info here and on the virpil forums

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

You can use target with the virpil base.

I do that without any problem.

You just need to modify certain values in the virpil software so target see the virpil base as a warthog.

There are info here and on the virpil forums

Ah ok. That’s helpful, thanks a lot.

The Hornet stick is now available for pre-order on French amazon for the rest of Europe that can't order directly from Thrustmaster or elsewhere. Got it for €179 including tax.

Seems to be back at €199 now though, but if you're quick about it you may be able to get it at the reduced rate when it releases on amazon.co.uk or amazon.de (again).

Hopefully it will fit the P1-11111 and P1-11121 that I have lying around.. :music_whistling:

2.5 lbs actuation force for pinkie comfort and 4 lbs for serious business works really well on my Warthog and Cougar sticks. Ahh sweet sweet tactile feedback

The Hornet stick is now available for pre-order on French amazon for the rest of Europe that can't order directly from Thrustmaster or elsewhere. Got it for €179 including tax.

Seems to be back at €199 now though, but if you're quick about it you may be able to get it at the reduced rate when it releases on amazon.co.uk or amazon.de (again).

Hopefully it will fit the P1-11111 and P1-11121 that I have lying around.. :music_whistling:

2.5 lbs actuation force for pinkie comfort and 4 lbs for serious business works really well on my Warthog and Cougar sticks. Ahh sweet sweet tactile feedback

Love the OTTO switches, might to the same modifications to mine :thumbup: Will follow along with you to see how it works out for you.

I have all OTTO switches on my throttle, so want to ensure the buttons on my grip are up to par.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Love the OTTO switches, might to the same modifications to mine :thumbup: Will follow along with you to see how it works out for you.

I have all OTTO switches on my throttle, so want to ensure the buttons on my grip are up to par.

Yup they're great. We'll see if they fit in what 6 weeks? :huh: oh the waiting time

To elaborate a bit for the other folks about what we're discussing here. It is a relatively affordable and easy way to massively upgrade the Warthog by simply swapping out the original buttons at around €20 a pop (before tax) for OTTO P1-1 buttons. Of course you void your warranty and if you mess up you'll have an expensive paper weight on your hands.

I still appreciate the engineering that TM put in the Warthog buttons to make a simple, low-cost, mass producible proprietary design that mimics the real deal pretty well in both looks and functionality. This goes for both the P1-1 style on the grip and the P1-7 style on the throttle panel.

I think they're a massive improvement over the Cougar style buttons that are simply a coloured cap pushing directly on a tact switch that has very little travel or actuation force. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the warthog button is of course still a cap pushing on a tact switch, only this time there's a spring and longer travel involved.

However, the TM buttons are nothing compared to mil spec buttons like the an OTTO P1. The operating force, the smooth travel and the crisp snap action really put these in another league. You won't accidentally drop any bombs by just brushing a button - it takes deliberate action.

Ralfi Alley detail in this video ~7:00

Thanks for that. Very useful!

To elaborate a bit for the other folks about what we're discussing here. It is a relatively affordable and easy way to massively upgrade the Warthog by simply swapping out the original buttons at around €20 a pop (before tax) for OTTO P1-1 buttons. Of course you void your warranty and if you mess up you'll have an expensive paper weight on your hands.

Is there a "how-to" that details the process and the exact OTTO parts required anywhere? Thanks.

Sorry if this is derailing a bit. Hopefully this will be relevant for the Hornet grip as well :)

Is there a "how-to" that details the process and the exact OTTO parts required anywhere? Thanks.

P1-1 refers to a specific button type and style. The rest of the part number (P1-1xxxx) specifies terminal style, switch circuitry, actuation force and cap color.

You can use whatever you prefer, but the button should have normally open (N.O.) circuitry (single or as part of 2-circuit) to directly replace the TM button.

My warthog buttons are: P1-11118 (2.5 lbs, gray) for pinkie and side/index finger switches, P1-11121 (4 lbs, red) for thumb/pickle switch and P1-11122 (4 lbs, black) for paddle lever switch. You can maybe find them cheap used on ebay. If you're in the US Peerless is a cheap source, otherwise they'll set you back like €80/$90 total before tax on e.g. Mouser.com. Puts the price discussion on the Hornet grip into perspective :smilewink:

Yes that explains the procedure pretty well I think!

Please note that Debolestis used what appears to be P8-1 buttons (text says P1-1, but pictures suggest P8-1) that are smaller and easier to fit. I was not able source them in the specific versions that I wanted so I went with the P1-1 type instead which will still fit pretty well.

Also note that If you do change the paddle switch button, you will have to file a bit of material off the paddle lever to make it fit. It will not be visible when assembled again:

uzPuuII.jpg

VtwYZUB.jpg

Ignore the tape I don't know what it's doing there

If you're in the US Peerless is a cheap source, otherwise they'll set you back like €80/$90 total before tax on e.g. Mouser.com. Puts the price discussion on the Hornet grip into perspective :smilewink:

Lol, right? My 5-way OTTO comms switch for my throttle was $185 alone for one switch, made the price of the grip seem very reasonable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440