Helios 1.4 - Taking to the Skys Once Again

Techie question for those in the know:

Can Helios read a game controller button status directly(without reading it through a DCS profile)?

The options I see are to change to a value when either:

-Button Pressed

-Button Released

-As commanded by a profile

Experimenting with/bench testing a panel on my non-gaming computer but the initial readings have 50% chance of being incorrect until the switches are cycled. The Axis don't have this issue.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Techie question for those in the know:

Can Helios read a game controller button status directly(without reading it through a DCS profile)?

The options I see are to change to a value when either:

-Button Pressed

-Button Released

-As commanded by a profile

Experimenting with/bench testing a panel on my non-gaming computer but the initial readings have 50% chance of being incorrect until the switches are cycled. The Axis don't have this issue.

yes, Helios has an interface for game controllers.

1) plug in your game controller

2) in Profile Editor, select "Add Interface"

3) each game controller will show up as an interface. Add one of them.

4) in the interface properties for that controller, you will see red lights for the buttons like the Windows game controller panel, where you can see that it can read your buttons

5) then create some bindings to whatever you want to have happen

does this not function correctly for you? if so, please create a bug at https://github.com/BlueFinBima/Helios/issues/new and include your profile (*.hpf) file and tell us how it malfunctions.

Thanks.

PS: I didn't attach an example profile here because the name of the interface depends on the exact game controller you have, so my profile would unlikely work for you

create some bindings to whatever you want to have happen

Thanks for the reply, derammo. Just clarifying that the switches appear to require a change before acting on that binding.

For example: On initial start-up, Toggle switch is "on" and shows "illuminated red" on the (in my case, an BUO836A) game controller binding, but until a change is detected, Helios appears to maintain the default position as "false", as the status query is not made until "button pressed" or "button released".

Unsure how to script a workaround in lua, for example- pushing a dedicated sync button which in turn executes this script to "cycle all buttons" to ensure they are interrogated and therefore synchronized with Helios.

Would you agree this is how the (controller to monitor) binding logic works? If I am incorrect, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for the reply, derammo. Just clarifying that the switches appear to require a change before acting on that binding.

For example: On initial start-up, Toggle switch is "on" and shows "illuminated red" on the (in my case, an BUO836A) game controller binding, but until a change is detected, Helios appears to maintain the default position as "false", as the status query is not made until "button pressed" or "button released".

Unsure how to script a workaround in lua, for example- pushing a dedicated sync button which in turn executes this script to "cycle all buttons" to ensure they are interrogated and therefore synchronized with Helios.

Would you agree this is how the (controller to monitor) binding logic works? If I am incorrect, please feel free to let me know.

Ok there are a two separate things here.

1) Yes, it appears that a button does not register until it is changed at least once. I created a profile that just binds "pressed" and "released" on button 1 to a green light. If I hold the button down and then start Control Center, the light does not light up until I release and press again.

2) Lua isn't involved in this at all, and neither is DCS. This is a driver for the game controller, implemented in Helios against the DirectX DirectInput API.

So I would say item 1) is a bug or feature-request against Helios Game Controller interface. It clearly was not designed for buttons that aren't use as triggers, i.e. that might be toggled to one side or another and stay there. So either you can file an issue here https://github.com/BlueFinBima/Helios/issues/new or I will do so.

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone else running an all in one MonitorSetup.lua so you can have a variety of modules running under 1 roof? If so, I am trying to add the FA-18C module by adding it to my existing all inclusive monitorsetup.lua, but I think I gaffed it! If I could take a peek at someone elses I would be able to figure out what I am doing wrong, thanks.

A year+ Later, but im still interested to find out if this has been overcome? Would love to have an module inclusive Monitor config ;},,, anybody? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I would think that this could be done, but you probably have to change some of the init files to a unique name for both the monitor config file and the inits for the specific module.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I did read that in another thread as a suggestion, but I didnt see any follow ups on it. And that was a bit outdated info, was just wondering what current status was,, ,thanks Sobe

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

As sobe mentioned, you can definitely do this if you modify a few additional init files to uniquely name exports for specific aircraft.

I've attached my own "one monitor config" file to rule them all which includes exports for the following:

- A-10

- AV-8B

- F-14

- F-16

- F-18

- KA-50

- SA342

I have a separate .lua file for the F-15 as I could never get it to play nicely with this "master" file.

To enable this "master" file, I modified the following files for each aircraft:

### F-18

MFD names:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\MDI_IP1556A\indicator

- MDI_left_init.lua

- MDI_right_init.lua

### AV-8B

MFD names:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\MPCD\indicator

- MPCD_init.lua

### F-16

MFD Names:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts\Displays\MFD\indicator\LCD

- MFD_left_init.lua

- MFD_right_init.lua

### KA-50

For LEFT_MFD (SHKVAL)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\Cockpit\Scripts\SHKVAL\BAKE

- init.lua

For RIGHT_MFD (ABRIS)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\Cockpit\Scripts\ABRIS\BAKE

- init.lua

Stewmanji monitor config.lua

Edited by Stewmanji

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

Thanks Stew,, there is no MonitorConfig attached to reference though?

OHHH SH%$! I spent the last few days tinkering with my MonitorConfig to get all of the X & Y positions setup nice and crisp. My Main screen is above my touch screen. I had the arrangement as such that the touch screen on the bottom was centered below the main. I actually thought when I did this, that Windows snapped it in place DEAD CENTER!!! NOT,, I booted up today and had to rearrange my monitor screen positions because of some other work I was doing at lower resolutions. I went to start my F-18 Helios profile, I got prompted to RESET my monitor? I figured i would just go back in and snap it back to center,,, NOT! After farting around for awhile, I could not find any info online regarding how I could consistently rearrange my monitor so it would always snap back to center. What I did seem to find is that if I configure the monitor on the side, it appears that I can consistently snap it to the right of the main, as long as I keep the top edges reasonably level to each other, and it will snap perfectly.

Has anyone overcome such an issue with your monitors left on bottom center? Thanks,

EqZE45RCnLOLUKD1Orb+kZaE4ZRGnRuIkThwPcWqUGKdeiVMWcWokTjnEKYs4NRKnHOKURZwaiVMOccoiTo3EKYc4ZRGnRuKUQ5yyiFMjccohTlnEqZE45RCnLOLUSJxyiFMWcWo0i9PnX3w5fP3zTQr75qffxSmIODWaxYkc4pRBnBptb28PFy9eJMy8jxs+TJyAksQJKEmcgJLECShJnICSxAkoSZyAksQJKEmcgJL+ARebAbPgNkB9AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

894724220_Monitorbottomcenter.thumb.png.b814f0a157a8e49e343baf61c7e7ceb5.png

Hey Fakum,

I experienced something similar myself when I was playing around with Helios/exports for the first time several months back. I'm afraid I don't really have any advice for you or a quick fix.

Due to the situation you described, I opted to simply place my monitors side-by-side in Windows even though I have them stacked one above the other in real life. It just makes things easier when it comes to aligning the monitors in Windows and calculating the x/y coordinates.

It took a few days of getting used to moving my mouse right to go "down" to the bottom monitor but after that it was second nature.

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

I agree with you Stew, I did however find that it snaps well to the sides as well. My setup is the same as yours, I was about to set it up for side to side, but I discovered that the sides snap just as well as the top edge. So I am now configured top & Bottom, although not centered. Works fine. All I had to do was reconfigure only the X positions only to make this change.

Thanks Stew

I would think that this could be done, but you probably have to change some of the init files to a unique name for both the monitor config file and the inits for the specific module.

I have been searching for quite awhile today, but no real luck. Can someone tell me exactly where I would be changing a "NAME" in any of the init.lua files?

Below is an extract, I assume it is on one of these lines?

-- SelfWidth - width of device in meters

-- SelfHeight - height of device in meters

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."devices_defs.lua")

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")

indicator_type = indicator_types.COMMON

used_render_mask = "interleave.bmp"

purposes = {render_purpose.GENERAL,render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}

screenspace_scale = 5;

x_size = 1.0

y_size = SelfHeight/SelfWidth

frame_start_y = 23/1024

frame_end_y = 754/1024

tex_scale = (frame_end_y - frame_start_y)/(2*y_size)

render_start = 55/1024

render_end = 497/1024

y_render_size = 0.5 * (render_end - render_start)/tex_scale

aspect_render_map = y_render_size/x_size

map_window_params =

{

cursor_limit_y = y_render_size/x_size,

cursor_size = 16/422,

scale_factor = SelfWidth * 0.5

}

-- x_size and y_size from ABRIS pages :

update_screenspace_diplacement(SelfWidth/SelfHeight,false)

try_find_assigned_viewport("ED_KA50_ABRIS","ABRIS","RIGHT_MFCD") --ED_KA50_ABRIS added for backward compatibility with Instrument mod 1.2.5

Fakum

I am not sure if this is what you mean, but here is an example in the IFEl init file from Capt Zeen:

------------------------ added by Capt Zeen

try_find_assigned_viewport("F18_IFEI")

------------------------ end of added by Capt Zeen

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Thanks sobe, I will try and clarify my question.

I am trying to combine (2) MonitorSetup lua files. For example, the F-18 & KA-50 Monitor setup files work just fine individually, but if you try and combine them into (1), they wont work because of example, now you have (2) LEFT_MFCD's incorporated into the file, when their can only be one. E.G.

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('F18 - KA50 Combine Test');

Description = 'Right, Left, RWR, IFEI, UFC, and AMPCD in right monitor'

--TOTAL DEL VIEWPORT

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 1600;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 2.4;

}

}

--LEFT

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 282;

y = 1798;

width = 389;

height = 375;

}

--RIGHT

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1261;

y = 1798;

width = 389;

height = 375;

}

-- RWR

F18_RWR =

{

x = 1494;

y = 2320;

width = 182;

height = 182;

}

--AMPCD

CENTER_MFCD =

{

x = 775;

y = 2290;

width = 370;

height = 354;

}

--IFEI

F18_IFEI =

{

x = 151;

y = 2356;

width = 530;

height = 200;

}

--UFC

F18_UFC =

{

x = 738;

y = 1630;

width = 462;

height = 262;

}

--SHKIVAL

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 722;

y = 1850;

width = 505;

height = 316;

}

--ABRIS

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1284;

y = 1977;

width = 418;

height = 536;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

Now from what I understand, this can be resolved by simply changing the names of (1) of the "Left_MFCD". You can call it "SHKVAL" if you like, you just need to change the name in its associated init.lua file.

The issue I am have is, I can find the associated init.lua file, I just dont know what line to change/add the "SHKVAL"?

Hope that explains my question better?

I think I found the answer and will test tonight, but I found this embedded within one of the many init.lua files I have been digging into. If my guess is correct, I have to locate the Line:

------------------------ added by Capt Zeen

try_find_assigned_viewport("F18_IFEI")

------------------------ end of added by Capt Zeen

try_find_assigned_viewport being the key here I think?

(If its NOT there already, place it there)

Then on that line will be a Bracket, and within that Bracket, the name should be placed there, correct?

Example would be, for the KA-50, I would create a name "SHKVAL" and place it within the Bracket, so the result would be;

try_find_assigned_viewport("SHKVAL")

If correct, then within my MonitorSetup I will have the location of my Shkval name "SHKVAL" instead of Left_MFD

Correct? Is that all I need to edit in the init.lua file for these exports?

Thanks

Edited by Fakum

Fakum

Yes. Just make sure you coordinate the name change with BOTH the monitor config file and the lua init file.

Ok, thanks sobe

I just don’t understand,,, hours and hours again, and I cant get the SHKVAL for example to export to the location I have set in my MonitorSetup.lua?

I re-named the init.lua for the Shkval to “SHKVAL” as shown here:

------------------------ added by Fakum

------------------------ end of added by Fakum

used_render_mask = LockOn_Options.script_path.."../IndicationTextures/SHKVAL_MASK.bmp"

render_target_always = LockOn_Options.flight.easy_radar

purposes = {render_purpose.GENERAL}

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Then I have the MonitorSetup.lua as shown here:

name = _('Fakum All Helios V1');

Description = '38" Top Main, 23" Bottom Touch Screen for ALL Modules'

--TOTAL DEL VIEWPORT

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 1600;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 2.4;

}

}

-- ########

-- ## F-18

-- ########

--LEFT

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 282;

y = 1798;

width = 389;

height = 375;

}

--RIGHT

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1261;

y = 1798;

width = 389;

height = 375;

}

-- RWR

F18_RWR =

{

x = 1494;

y = 2320;

width = 182;

height = 182;

}

--AMPCD

CENTER_MFCD =

{

x = 775;

y = 2290;

width = 370;

height = 354;

}

--IFEI

F18_IFEI =

{

x = 151;

y = 2356;

width = 530;

height = 200;

}

--UFC

F18_UFC =

{

x = 738;

y = 1630;

width = 462;

height = 262;

}

-- ########

-- ## KA-50

-- ########

--SHKVAL

SHKVAL =

{

x = 722;

y = 1850;

width = 505;

height = 316;

}

--ABRIS

ABRIS =

{

x = 1284;

y = 1977;

width = 418;

height = 536;

}

What the heck am I missing to make this work? OVGME MOD file structure=

1711319223_FileStructure.jpg.0e880f88133bb64cd10e958b2d52a70c.jpg

Check if you really overwrited the ini file in the game installation place, not in saved games.

I just don’t understand,,, hours and hours again, and I cant get the SHKVAL for example to export to the location I have set in my MonitorSetup.lua?

I re-named the init.lua for the Shkval to “SHKVAL” as shown here:

------------------------ added by Fakum

------------------------ end of added by Fakum

used_render_mask = LockOn_Options.script_path.."../IndicationTextures/SHKVAL_MASK.bmp"

render_target_always = LockOn_Options.flight.easy_radar

purposes = {render_purpose.GENERAL}

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Then I have the MonitorSetup.lua as shown here:

name = _('Fakum All Helios V1');

Description = '38" Top Main, 23" Bottom Touch Screen for ALL Modules'

--TOTAL DEL VIEWPORT

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 1600;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 2.4;

}

}

-- ########

-- ## F-18

-- ########

--LEFT

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 282;

y = 1798;

width = 389;

height = 375;

}

--RIGHT

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1261;

y = 1798;

width = 389;

height = 375;

}

-- RWR

F18_RWR =

{

x = 1494;

y = 2320;

width = 182;

height = 182;

}

--AMPCD

CENTER_MFCD =

{

x = 775;

y = 2290;

width = 370;

height = 354;

}

--IFEI

F18_IFEI =

{

x = 151;

y = 2356;

width = 530;

height = 200;

}

--UFC

F18_UFC =

{

x = 738;

y = 1630;

width = 462;

height = 262;

}

-- ########

-- ## KA-50

-- ########

--SHKVAL

SHKVAL =

{

x = 722;

y = 1850;

width = 505;

height = 316;

}

--ABRIS

ABRIS =

{

x = 1284;

y = 1977;

width = 418;

height = 536;

}

What the heck am I missing to make this work? OVGME MOD file structure=

This doesn't have anything to do with Helios. You might have better luck in a thread about "exporting" viewports.

[edit] never mind at this point we might just start a new thread for Helios :)

At this point, I have to agree with you. I do believe that those using Helios are interested in how to create a single MonitorSetup.lua, but this has morphed into more of an issue on my end. I will find another home. Thanks to all that have helped to date.

Capt Zeen, thanks for the response,,, you are The Man by the way, thanks for your major contributions sir.