Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

This is too addicting.. I'm going to forget how to blow shit up! Highest grade I've gotten is 69 so far. Outstanding trainer! Thanks for the contribution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Been using your mod for about a month now. Started in the 40's. Happy where I am at now. Thanks for a great mod!!

ExGQT2K.png

Well shit! I've been at it for four days now, probably 40-50 traps. Now that I know it's possible this is all I'll do in DCS until I get a 75. My issue is always bank angle. Nice job.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Who's got the best score so far with the F14 ?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

• 2 weeks later...

Bankler,

Thanks for making such an awesome tool that everyone seems to be using across the community. It has definitely improved my landing. One of our BuDs servers runs this mission continuously and is one of the most popular activities. Some of our guys are scoring consistently in the mid to high 60's and one member has scored a 74 on several occasions.

One question is there anyway to generate a Final LSO SCORE for posting on a squadron "greenie" board. I am trying to figure if the final score your mission could be mapped into one of the following categories. A great mod to our mission would generate a file for run off the mission with each particpates LSO scores for each attempt and then save the results in a file.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Signal_Officer

Possible grades:

• "OK Underline" – a perfect pass, generally under unfavorable circumstances. Naval Aviators often have hundreds of carrier landings without ever receiving this grade. Worth 5 points.
  • "OK" – a pass with only very minor deviations from centerline, glideslope and angle of attack. Worth 4 points.
  • "Fair" – a pass with one or more safe deviations and appropriate corrections. Worth 3 points.
  • "Bolter" - a safe pass where the hook is down and the aircraft does not stop. Worth 2.5 point, but counts against pilot/squadron/wing "boarding rate"[jargon].
  • "No Grade" – a pass with gross (but still safe) deviations or inappropriate corrections. Failure to respond to LSO calls will often result in this grade. Worth 2 points.
  • "Technique Waveoff" – a pass with deviations from centerline, glideslope and/or angle of attack that are unsafe and need to be aborted. Worth 1 point.
  • "Cut Pass" – an unsafe pass with unacceptable deviations, typically after a wave off is possible. Worth zero points.
  • "Foul Deck Waveoff" – a pass that was aborted due to the landing area being fouled. No points are assigned and the pass is not counted toward the pilots landing grade average.

Anyways thanks a again for such an awesome tool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

TWC_Alamo:

In the current implementation, the score cannot be directly converted into an actual LSO grade. Those grades only grade the last part of the pattern, while my system looks at the whole thing from break entry to touchdown. The scoring system is "accurate" in the sense that it rewards you for accurate flying. But if it'd generate an actual LSO score, I'd not be happy with it unless it gave you a correct score (which can now suddenly be verfied) at least 99% of the time. And that would require quite a bunch of additional checks.

If you're not worried about that level of realism, you could possibly look at the last few steps in the scoring sheet (from "Groove start" to "Ramp" or "Wire") and setup score limits for what you think should be a cut, no-grade, fair and an OK. It wouldn't be accurate, but it might be accurate enough for the purpose (which I guess is to enourage your buddies to fly slick, and get rewarded for it on the website in some greenie board style, which sounds awesome).

Regardless, it won't be an automated process. Mission scripts don't have the authority to write to your disk. (Unless you as an end-user open certain stuff up, but I haven't looked into that)

IAS2424:

That's awesome. With the Tomcat, I've never come close to that score. Great job!

AMVI_Grape:

I've gotten the request several times. I haven't started anything, but it could be fun with a CASE 3 trainer. Checking your how far you are from your optimal position at a certain commence time, checking rate-of-descent before and after platform etc. No promises, but I'll keep it in mind if I get time for it.

Bankler, thanks for a great training tool. Improving all the time with the help of this.

For the F/A-18 (I haven't got the F-14) I have just noticed that there is no AOA score at the end once trapped and stopped (there is when entering the grove, only saw that on reply as I was concentrating). Also after the first trap and launch there is no detailed score, just the final score and wire hooked.

I hope you don't mind but just one suggestion, it would be good to have the option of keeping the hook up so that we could fly multiple circuits without trapping and launching. Height, AOA, Speed etc are things most of us are working on and a score when flying back to 4NM would be easy to read.

Thanks for the hard work.

Neil

Edited by ndunridge

Bankler, thanks for a great training tool. Improving all the time with the help of this.

For the F/A-18 (I haven't got the F-14) I have just noticed that there is no AOA score at the end once trapped and stopped (there is when entering the grove, only saw that on reply as I was concentrating). Also after the first trap and launch there is no detailed score, just the final score and wire hooked.

I hope you don't mind but just one suggestion, it would be good to have the option of keeping the hook up so that we could fly multiple circuits without trapping and launching. Height, AOA, Speed etc are things most of us are working on and a score when flying back to 4NM would be easy to read.

Thanks for the hard work.

Neil

Thanks for the report! Are you using VR? I noticed a problem where I didn't always see the score summary in VR (Odyssey+). This has been fixed and will be available in next update.

Judging from Matthew's screenshot here, it looks like AOA feedback is indeed visible in the summary (it says "On speed" in his case). 4 of the points are for altitude, 3 is for AOA (adds up to 7). If it's not like that for you, make sure you have the latest version.

And yes, it would be nice with a "quick mode" where you just practice the pattern over and over instead of always doing the full break. I haven't prioritized this as I saw so many people having problem with the full break+pattern, that I put the focus there. I might add such a mode later on though.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am using Oculus Rift and have your last version. I took a screen shoot and get the same summary as Matthew. Had thought there was a AOA summary before, not just when hitting the grove.

I followed some on-line advice, break at 1.5 miles (1.5g) for longer downwind to settle the aircraft. Now I am getting better I break at 1 mile and 2-3g. I wasn't chasing scores just trying to get AOA, distance right.

Regards.

Neil

Thanks for the reply Bankler. I do notice in the dedicated server's log that the scores are reported and if i WERE REALLY INDUSTRIOUS and SMART like you I could write some sort of the program to scrape and compile the scores.

Anyway you have created an awesome tool that is the go to app for improving carrier landings!

TWC_Alamo:

In the current implementation, the score cannot be directly converted into an actual LSO grade. Those grades only grade the last part of the pattern, while my system looks at the whole thing from break entry to touchdown. The scoring system is "accurate" in the sense that it rewards you for accurate flying. But if it'd generate an actual LSO score, I'd not be happy with it unless it gave you a correct score (which can now suddenly be verfied) at least 99% of the time. And that would require quite a bunch of additional checks.

If you're not worried about that level of realism, you could possibly look at the last few steps in the scoring sheet (from "Groove start" to "Ramp" or "Wire") and setup score limits for what you think should be a cut, no-grade, fair and an OK. It wouldn't be accurate, but it might be accurate enough for the purpose (which I guess is to enourage your buddies to fly slick, and get rewarded for it on the website in some greenie board style, which sounds awesome).

Regardless, it won't be an automated process. Mission scripts don't have the authority to write to your disk. (Unless you as an end-user open certain stuff up, but I haven't looked into that).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Out of curiosity, would a hornet pilot still receive a "OK"4 points, If he's done everything correctly but ends up catching the 4th wire?

Good question. Absolutely! If it's a really good approach will solid ball flying, the LSO will give you an OK regardless of which wire you caught. The 3-wire is (usually) the result of a great approach, rather than the goal itself. A safe approach is the goal. I assume pilots get OK 2 and 4 wires all the time.

In my script, you get score for wire, which is a little misleading to be honest. However, it gives an approximation of how well you handled the throttle the last few seconds (I can't really measure that in another way). If you cut off power, you tend to fall down on the 1-wire, and will get a score deduction for that. But in reality, the 1-wire itself is not the bad thing really. It's what generated it that is the problem (poor throttle handling, or low/red ball at the ramp for instance).

In the same way, I'm sure pilots have ended up getting both no-grade and cut scores after catching 3-wires. Slamming down early, hook skip over the first two wires and catching the third one is a DCS classic! :music_whistling: Forgetting to go full power on touchdown is another (I believe they would give you a cut score for that regardless of how beautiful your approach was).

Edited by Bankler

Out of curiosity, would a hornet pilot still receive a "OK"4 points, If he's done everything correctly but ends up catching the 4th wire?

Don't forget that the ball in the game will tend to put you on a 4 wire since the geometry of the carrier is off as well as the where they modeled the convergence of the lens. I know they say to keep and "active" ball, but if you want a 3 wire, you've got to be just under the center ball.

TL;DR - don't feel bad if you get a 4 wire as you probably did everything correct.

Edited by Matthew10_28
forgot to quote Lymark

VERSION 4.2.0

SUMMER UPDATE!! :clap:

attachment.php?attachmentid=213229&stc=1&d=1562374599

You can now download version 4.2.0 in the Original Post!

This is a small update correcting two bugs. One is that the score board sometimes didn't show up when running in high res VR. The other bug fix covers an edge case where feedback was wrong for extremely short groove times.

Finally, I removed several of the static aircraft on the deck. They look nice, but they often caused problems in MP not showing up for some players and so on. If you're only running the mission in SP, I suggest you open it in the editor and decorate the carrier in a way that you like! :)

I enjoy the feedback you guys provide a lot, with screenshots of your score and so on! Now have a great summer, with lots of time spent indoors in front of the computer! :thumbup:

CHANGE LOG

* Fixed bug where groove time score was wrong if you had an extremely short groove (less than 6 seconds).

* Fixed bug where the summary wasn't always shown when running hi-res VR like Odyssey+.

* Removed some of the static aircraft from the deck to increase performance, and since they don't sync that well in MP.

Enjoy!

OverTheWires.thumb.PNG.c6e10e371bdf5fb441815464344b1292.PNG

Question regarding tanker

Thanks for the great tool, I use it almost every day and after some time I've managed to get about 50 points regularly (and my blood pressure is now only 180 when I'm in the groove)... :D

I noticed a little thing yesterday. I took off from the coast and flew directly towards the tanker to practice some air refuelling. I had barely hooked up when the tanker took a slight turn. I thought to myself: "ok, even more training..." and tried to stay with it (through the turn) - assuming it would just turn back 180° and fly straight again.

But he didn't do that, from that moment on he did left and right turns permanently and didn't stop. I wasn't able to hold on any longer, disconnected and stayed in formation watching the show (waiting for him to fly straight again) but at some point I had bingo fuel and had to go to the carrier. That was quite funny and exciting, but shouldn't the tanker always fly straight ahead, except for the 2 180° turns at the end of its racetrack? Or is that a particularly hard training method? :D

Best regards

Jörg

Thanks for the great tool, I use it almost every day and after some time I've managed to get about 50 points regularly (and my blood pressure is now only 180 when I'm in the groove)... :D

I noticed a little thing yesterday. I took off from the coast and flew directly towards the tanker to practice some air refuelling. I had barely hooked up when the tanker took a slight turn. I thought to myself: "ok, even more training..." and tried to stay with it (through the turn) - assuming it would just turn back 180° and fly straight again.

But he didn't do that, from that moment on he did left and right turns permanently and didn't stop. I wasn't able to hold on any longer, disconnected and stayed in formation watching the show (waiting for him to fly straight again) but at some point I had bingo fuel and had to go to the carrier. That was quite funny and exciting, but shouldn't the tanker always fly straight ahead, except for the 2 180° turns at the end of its racetrack? Or is that a particularly hard training method? :D

My experience too. Tanker never fly straight after the 180° turn. Perhaps it is part of the challenge because the tanker initials turn when you are closing in to hook up like she is program to do so. Weird and difficult for me.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I noticed this too and it is frustrating when learning to tank. Looking inside the mission, Mr. Bankler has the tankers on a rectangular courses using a mix of turning points and fly over points. Not sure if this is the cause of the wig wag behavior after 90 turns. I changed the mission to put the tankers on standard orbits with racetrack patterns between two way points over the fleet. This has removed the wig wag behavior and gives you a more stable albeit longer turn to learn to stay with the tanker.

Thanks again for this excellent training tool. I try to jump in everyday, fly a couple of traps, head to the tanker to fill tanks, fly supersonic back towards the boat, dump fuel getting down to trap weight and then do a couple more traps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim

Thanks for the feedback. I made the tanker track a little smaller for this update, since it was flying like 70 nm tracks or so before. I obviously failed in testing how well it worked, sorry for this. I'll try to fix it for the next update. Until then, feel free to open the miz in the editor and pull those tanker waypoints apart a bit. It should help.

Where would I install this at? First time to try to load a mission.

[Phanteks Enthoo Elite Case, Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 MOBO, Intel Core i9-9700K OC 5.1, G SKILL Ripjaws DDR4-3466 RAM 64GB, 3 x Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 x 4TB HDD, 2 x Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition 11G, Corsair AX1600i Modular Power Supply, 7 x Cooler MasterFan Pro, 7 x Phanteks Fans, Koolance Cooling System, Custom Lighting, Windows 10 Home, Alienware AW3418DW Curved Monitor, TrackIR 5, Warthog Hotas, MFG Rudder Pedals.]

In your c:/users/username/saved games/dcs world/missions folder

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

GA Flight Sim