Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

On 10/26/2021 at 1:51 PM, veenee said:

Are there any plans for Forrestal version? 😉

Looking forward to this as well.

• Like 1

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Is it possible to add wind to this mission to practice in different setups? How should I add it to create a realistic environment?

• Like 1

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, Al-Azraq said:

Is it possible to add wind to this mission to practice in different setups? How should I add it to create a realistic environment?

You simply could edit the mission weather, add wind coming from north to south so the wind faces your aircraft.

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

8 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

You simply could edit the mission weather, add wind coming from north to south so the wind faces your aircraft.

Just read the carrier positions herself as to the wind faces the angle deck. 

So the wind bearing should be BRC minus 9 degrees

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, Al-Azraq said:

Given the carrier always steers in an attempt to generate 27-30kts down the deck, "different" wind setups are kind superfluous. That is unless you want a nill wind and therefore slight crosswind setup, or a 40kts+ gale.

Edited by norman99

On 2/25/2022 at 6:20 AM, eatthis said:

the flols, needles and banklers grading dont tally with eachother behind the boat. is this because im using the tomcat and not the hornet?

Flying the Hornet I see a little of that. I use ICLS and it used to be that the ICLS glide slope was a little off vs FLOLS. But at this point I don't use the FLOLS anymore. It is too much of a cartoon for me. I do laugh at Bankler's mid flight grading sometimes. I will be told I was high or low at the 90 just a few seconds after the glideslope line appeared and told me I was perfect.  Oh well, it is still excellent training.

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

Flying the Hornet I see a little of that. I use ICLS and it used to be that the ICLS glide slope was a little off vs FLOLS. But at this point I don't use the FLOLS anymore. It is too much of a cartoon for me. I do laugh at Bankler's mid flight grading sometimes. I will be told I was high or low at the 90 just a few seconds after the glideslope line appeared and told me I was perfect.  Oh well, it is still excellent training.

oh its deffinately good training, i just wish i knew whats going on from final onward, im in tomcat btw

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, CBStu said:

Bankler’s, numbers are good. You don’t want to be exactly on the GS at the 90, you need to be above it, otherwise you’re actually low.

At the 90 you still have about 0.6nm cross track to fly before intercepting the final bearing, hence your actual track miles to fly will be further then if you flew directly to the ramp from the 90, which is what the GS needle is effectively referencing.

If you’re always on the GS at the 90, what you’ll probably find is you are likely flying slightly low and level or a shallow descending base turn, rather than a continuous descent into the grove.

Edited by norman99
  • Like 2

Norman that is a very good point. I never thought of it that way. In other words I still have 90 degrees of the circumference of a circle to fly while the GS is showing it like I am going straight in from the circumference to the center ( the carrier ). Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

VERSION 7.1.0

2022 SPRING UPDATE!! 🥳

Log file support available!

BanklersCase1RecoveryTrainer_2022_SpringUpdate.png

You can now download version 7.1.0 in the Original Post!

It's been a while since the last update. I haven't felt the need to fiddle around with it too much. Super happy for the over 3200 downloads of v7.0.0!

However, a couple of patches ago, something changed with the Hornet's HSI and UFC implementation. Now, certain times when you box TCN (or WYPT) in the HSI, the A/P menu is brought up on the UFC. This was not the case before. This change made my auto-cockpit setup scripts a little wrong. When it pressed the UFC (button 4 from the top), instead of removing the time from HUD, it engaged RALT autopilot. If you didn't realise this happened, you probably wondered why the aircraft started behaving crazy until you tapped the paddle switch. This has now been fixed!

While I was at it, I thought I'd take take a look at logging. This has been requested many times since I first released the mission in 2018. Finally, it has been implemented! As you might already know, by default, DCS prohibits missions from writing files to your disk, which is a good thing. In order to allow the mission to write the log file, you must remove (or comment) three lines in MissionScripting.lua. It's very important to understand that if you do this, you open up write access for EVERY mission. This means that if you download and run a mission from someone you don't trust, it might start creating millions of junk files on your disk. So, there you have it. Warning. Be careful if you decide to fiddle around with this stuff.

What's cool though, is that if this is enabled, a file in your saved games dir (Logs/BanklersCase1RecoveryTrainer.log) is created and will log your passes. And if you're running this on a dedicated server, everyone's scores will be in there. This might come in handy to track your own progress, or if your squadron is using this for any kinds of competitions or qualifications.

Thanks a lot for the love and support I received through the years. All the kind replies here, as well as PMs on the forum and on Discord means the world. It's just a great feeling being able to contribute with something to this great community! ❤️

Cheers,

Bankler

CHANGE LOG

* The score summary is now written to dcs.log.
* The score summary (with a date and time) is now also optionally written to a file Logs/BanklersCase1RecoveryTrainer.log (requires desanitizing of os, ios and lfs lua modules in MissionScripting.lua).
* Fixed auto cockpit setup timing to account for new behavior where boxing TCN engages the A/P menu. This resolves the problem where the aircraft went into RALT A/P instead of disabling the HUD Time.
* Fixed minor problems with auto cockpit setup where some MFD buttons were left in the pressed state.
* Tomcats should now have the Carrier TCN set to default.
* The initial message is now much shorter.
* Airborne aircraft have been slightly moved in order to be properly lined up on the initial.

Enjoy!

PS.

If you decide to enable write access to allow the log to be created (READ THE WARNING ABOVE FIRST!), this is how your MissionScripting.lua needs to look. The required changed is the "--" before the three sanitizeModule lines (which disables those lines). Be advised that it resets every time DCS is updated.

--Initialization script for the Mission lua Environment (SSE)

dofile('Scripts/ScriptingSystem.lua')

--Sanitize Mission Scripting environment
--This makes unavailable some unsecure functions. 
--Mission downloaded from server to client may contain potentialy harmful lua code that may use these functions.
--You can remove the code below and make availble these functions at your own risk.

local function sanitizeModule(name)
    _G[name] = nil
    package.loaded[name] = nil
end

do
    --sanitizeModule('os')
    --sanitizeModule('io')
    --sanitizeModule('lfs')
    _G['require'] = nil
    _G['loadlib'] = nil
    _G['package'] = nil
end

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

What path/folder does the .miz file go in?
I'm using Open Beta. Thanks for it.
You can put the miz wherever you wish. Then, just load it in the mission editor and fly.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Great mission.

But, Burble effect is so broken itself right now.

Burble effect makes AOA change about 4 degree within 0.5 seconds when you pass at 'on ramp area (0.1NM)' on 'groove' (Tacview).

Edited by 8kidd8tv

8KIDD8 TWITCH TV

https://www.youtube.com/c/Kidd8TwitchTV/

DCS WORLD openbeta user, F-16C, F-14B, F/A-18C LOT 20, Mirage 2000, F-5, AV-8B, AJS-37, JF-17,

Spitfire LF Mk.IX, P-51D, BF 109 K-4, KA-50, UH-1H, A-10C, FC3, Combined Arms, 1944 Asset, Persian Gulf, Nevada, Normandy, Channel.

F-14B VF-213 Skin by 8kidd8

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304309/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 9:17 AM, 8kidd8tv said:

Great mission.

But, Burble effect is so broken itself right now.

Burble effect makes AOA change about 4 degree within 0.5 seconds when you pass at 'on ramp area (0.1NM)' on 'groove' (Tacview).

I agree. Burble makes it almost impossible to get a perfect score now. Always messes up the On Deck Altitude scoring.

I also noticed since the update of 7.1.0 that when switching to pattern mode on the deck and taking back off into the pattern that the scoring never restarts now. At least not on the first retry.

Edited by Storm_ctrl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, hannibal said:

someone referred this to me, i am wondering if there is an F-14 version for this wonderful mission... 🙂

You got also F14 client slots since ver 4

* Added Tomcat support (airborne, on catapult, cold start)

* Identifying if you're flying Hornet or Tomcat and adjusting required AOA and such to match the current aircraft.

* Added groove time measuring.

* Increased max score from 70 to 75 (because of groove time score).

* Adjusted overhead tanker pattern to make it fly smoother tracks.

* Changed Stennis TCN to 74X.

* Changed overhead KC-130 TCN to 37X.

* Fixed bug that caused some problems when restarting the mission.

• Like 2

Yup, I regularly practice in the Tomcat.  I do wish the airborne spawns were a bit farther out maybe about 20nm or so.  I'm rushing on that very first pass.  By the time I was getting everything set, practically entering the break. Having TCN set should help a little though.  Trying to get used to new headset so not the best passes by any means. 

Tomcat_Trap_20220704134013_1.jpg

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Hello Bankler,

I wondering what I'm doing wrong, when I trying to call the CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln after turned on my battery sw and APU and tuned in the radio and tacan for a cold start, it's just blank when i'm in the communication menu, otherwise it works great, wish that you could offer a populated version too.

Regards

/e33et

Edited by e33et

On 7/7/2022 at 5:03 AM, Uxi said:

Yup, I regularly practice in the Tomcat.  I do wish the airborne spawns were a bit farther out maybe about 20nm or so.  I'm rushing on that very first pass.  By the time I was getting everything set, practically entering the break. Having TCN set should help a little though.  Trying to get used to new headset so not the best passes by any means. 

Tomcat_Trap_20220704134013_1.jpg

You can easily modify the original file and relocate the Tomcat air slots, I managed to put them around 25nm south from the carrier. If you have any issues, I could share the file with you.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, e33et said:

Hello Bankler,

I wondering what I'm doing wrong, when I trying to call the CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln after turned on my battery sw and APU and tuned in the radio and tacan for a cold start, it's just blank when i'm in the communication menu, otherwise it works great, wish that you could offer a populated version too.

Regards

/e33et

Nothing wrong, there are no ATC comms for Launch to perform on the supercarrier