Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

Thanks, Bankler!

Would it be possible to add more detailed information in the summary at the end?

Specifically, it would be nice to see a recap of the all the benchmark targets vs actual. I know this is reported while we pass them (e.g., too high, target = xxx, actual = xxx), but let's just say I'm usually focused on other things during this time ( :) !) and it would be nice to see them at the end. The final summary will say, for e.g., I am too low, but it would be great to know exactly what that was. If this will clutter the summary at the end, maybe a radio option for a more detailed milestone-by-milestone summary?

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Bankler,

Trying out the airborne F-14 slots. They are not set up for any kind of landing at all. They need to be in landing mode, icls and tacan are not set, hook's up... is that intentional?

Downloaded that v5 from the first post just 10 minutes ago.

Would seem to be a good idea to have to get the aircraft ready to land, hence the necessity to "setup" the aircraft for landing. I like them not being ready to go out of the gate, and getting the practice of checking all the boxes required for landing, along with the correct pattern procedure.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Would seem to be a good idea to have to get the aircraft ready to land, hence the necessity to "setup" the aircraft for landing. I like them not being ready to go out of the gate, and getting the practice of checking all the boxes required for landing, along with the correct pattern procedure.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

Yes please, for hornets as well, perhaps, a comms option, with increasing difficulty? 1 for auto setup, two, for instructions, and three for manual setup...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

I agree that setting the aircraft up properly needs to be practiced. But if you're not set up at the initial, you're prolly 20-30 minutes too late in doing these kinds of things. This recovery trainer is not the right place to learn how to set up the aircraft when it begins at the initial.

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

I agree that setting the aircraft up properly needs to be practiced. But if you're not set up at the initial, you're prolly 20-30 minutes too late in doing these kinds of things. This recovery trainer is not the right place to learn how to set up the aircraft when it begins at the initial.
You could freeze up the game and do the setup. That is what I do if need be.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

You could freeze up the game and do the setup. That is what I do if need be.

That is a good suggestion and it's what I did a year ago when I first picked up this mission. But honestly, I'm trying to get high numbers of patterns done, ideally 10-20 per session, for practice. That's the main reason for me to pick this up. I understand that people may want to practice setting up the aircraft, but I am fairly certain this isn't the intend. I have made my request/inquiry and really there's not much more to say than this. :)

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

That is a good suggestion and it's what I did a year ago when I first picked up this mission. But honestly, I'm trying to get high numbers of patterns done, ideally 10-20 per session, for practice. That's the main reason for me to pick this up. I understand that people may want to practice setting up the aircraft, but I am fairly certain this isn't the intend. I have made my request/inquiry and really there's not much more to say than this. :)

Thanks for the feedback. To be perfectly honest I don't remember why I never did the auto-setup for the Tomcat. It does some stuff (specifically turning down the volume on Jester...). It might be that it wasn't possible (not very likely), but it might also be that it just took too long time to find the IDs for all the knobs and switches, so I gave up and left it for a future update. And then forgot about it.

I will definitely consider it for future updates. Not the hook though. As the auto-setup is run even if you take a cold start jet (nothing I can do to change this, afaik), I can't have it lower the hook on deck. So that's why you have to do that yourself, even in the Hornet, where everything else is setup.

If you're experienced with the ME and if you want to help out, you can go through the Lua files in the Tomcat addon folder and see if you can find the IDs for the most relevant buttons (like I did with the Hornet, see the screenshot below). If you open my miz in the ME and look in the triggers section you can see how it works.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211244&d=1559758330

attachment.php?attachmentid=222825&d=1576107150

AutoSetupTriggers.thumb.PNG.6eb050b869c11d751e2618ab0abb72ec.PNG

Hey Bankler,

Check out the top of command_defs.lua (the PROXY_* commands) and proxy_device.lua in F-14 files (inside Mods/aircraft/F14/Cockpit/), they might have what you need. It's essentially a way of triggering a series of cockpit commands from one higher level proxy command from the mission editor triggers. The 10001 entry might be useful, or a combination of a few of the others.

Edited by gyrovague
typo

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Bankler,

Check out the top of command_defs.lua (the PROXY_* commands) and proxy_device.lua in F-14 files (inside Mods/aircraft/F14/Cockpit/), they might have what you need. It's essentially a way of triggering a series of cockpit commands from one higher level proxy command from the mission editor triggers. The 10001 entry might be useful, or a combination of a few of the others.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

• 3 weeks later...

This is excellent. Is there any advice or technique to move this functionality into an existing mission?

I see there's a lua script, but also a whole bunch of triggers that seem to call functions defined in the script.

If anyone's attempted that please share your experiences.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

My best score yet after returning to flying.

y4mXW6Ucs_aGYfEHlFIWPshHhh5NCqe1X_QM3goiW55rtd9Ec1rQRVT6xFjsNhA2_px44l9lMwzQbVDRcrvpubHvDdhFVsOA6vQcM6CifISz1p_QzVe4VdtuEMn7ebhJJOP6KS98klnYHvmXJN2t7owt3i4a5kcGj22z59YsAg5NSvOB9VQLTtbzc4yb9XHiFGV

thanks again for this mission!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hi Blanker, first of all thank you very much for this coach, I have practiced it and it is very demanding, it really takes you to the mastery.

I have some questions or maybe feedback.

In our squad we have been looking for a tool that allows us to obtain score results in the format that the USN delivers (2-, 2,5, 3 and 4) plus feedback in abbreviation codes ?. Do you think in the future to contemplate this type of format in a way that only groove us?

Do you think in the future add a carrier qualification type format?

Cheers!!! Thank you for your excellent work.

Hi Blanker, first of all thank you very much for this coach, I have practiced it and it is very demanding, it really takes you to the mastery.

I have some questions or maybe feedback.

In our squad we have been looking for a tool that allows us to obtain score results in the format that the USN delivers (2-, 2,5, 3 and 4) plus feedback in abbreviation codes ?. Do you think in the future to contemplate this type of format in a way that only groove us?

Do you think in the future add a carrier qualification type format?

Cheers!!! Thank you for your excellent work.

Not sure about adding navy grades. It would be so much work verifying that they are correct, and I don't want to give someone a grades that can be compared to real-life unless I'm very certain of its correctness.

Regarding CQ, there is already a function in the F10 menu where you can change from the default "break" mode to "pattern" mode. Could this be what you're looking for?

Any plans to add an A4 to this as an optional version? I can understand why you wouldn't want to for the base since not everyone uses it. I tried to add it in myself, just replacing two of the tomcats and everything seemed to work ok until trapping, then they would just kinda do this weird thing where half the plane would clip through the deck and eventually explode for the first few. After that, it would just kinda explode whenever it hit a wire.

The only way to kind of make it work was to spawn a 'fresh' A4 on the carrier deck. Not sure the level of effort here, or if the issues is even with your mission but thought I'd ask.

Any plans to add an A4 to this as an optional version? I can understand why you wouldn't want to for the base since not everyone uses it. I tried to add it in myself, just replacing two of the tomcats and everything seemed to work ok until trapping, then they would just kinda do this weird thing where half the plane would clip through the deck and eventually explode for the first few. After that, it would just kinda explode whenever it hit a wire.

The only way to kind of make it work was to spawn a 'fresh' A4 on the carrier deck. Not sure the level of effort here, or if the issues is even with your mission but thought I'd ask.

Sorry, no plans for Skyhawk version at this point.

Not sure about adding navy grades. It would be so much work verifying that they are correct, and I don't want to give someone a grades that can be compared to real-life unless I'm very certain of its correctness.

Regarding CQ, there is already a function in the F10 menu where you can change from the default "break" mode to "pattern" mode. Could this be what you're looking for?

Alright!thanks for the anwser. Cheers !!!!:smilewink::smilewink::smilewink::smilewink:

I am really enjoying this mission but seem to constantly have a difference between what the ICLS is telling me vs the on screen comments and the LSO. In each case it's about altitude. During the final 180 I will have the VV circle maybe not perfectly centered on the ICLS glide slope but the line is within the circle. The on screen comments tell me I am very high. During the final approach the LSO keeps saying 'power', 'power'. Again ICLS glide slope line is within the VV circle, the top edge of the VV is in the notch at or very close to the edge of the deck. I add a little power and then float over the deck. May barely touch the deck or miss it. Why the differences? Edit to add. There is an arrow somewhere around the VV that moves from off the right and comes across the VV in the final 90 deg or so of the approach. Seems to be a tacan course line maybe? But I can't figure out what it is telling me.

Edited by CBStu

I am really enjoying this mission but seem to constantly have a difference between what the ICLS is telling me vs the on screen comments and the LSO. In each case it's about altitude. During the final 180 I will have the VV circle maybe not perfectly centered on the ICLS glide slope but the line is within the circle. The on screen comments tell me I am very high. During the final approach the LSO keeps saying 'power', 'power'. Again ICLS glide slope line is within the VV circle, the top edge of the VV is in the notch at or very close to the edge of the deck. I add a little power and then float over the deck. May barely touch the deck or miss it. Why the differences? Edit to add. There is an arrow somewhere around the VV that moves from off the right and comes across the VV in the final 90 deg or so of the approach. Seems to be a tacan course line maybe? But I can't figure out what it is telling me.

Not sure what your asking here? Especially about the VV ? IS your flight path marker on the horizontal ICLS line?

Are you staying on speed? Does it look anything like this old video I did using ICLS in VR?

In the grove, fly the ball.

Exactly:thumbup:

You can use ICLS to help enter the groove at the correct height, once there its all ball.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link