Will this Steam vs stand alone activation ever be fixed?

sirrah

Apparently somewhere on this forum there is one thread telling us that modules released after may 2017 and bought on Steam can no longer be activated in the stand alone version...

At least on the ED site for each module it says "not compatible with Steam", unfortunately there is no such warning on Steam.

Of course I didn't read this entire forum through and through before purchasing the new Hornet / Persian Gulf bundle for $89 on Steam. So this now puts me in the position where I have several modules activated in Steam and several on the stand alone version (some of which I bought, A-10C, when Steam wasn't even available). Great... So now, if I want to switch plane, I have to exit my mission, exit DCS stand alone, start DCS Steam and start mission.

Come on ED... DCS is a fantastic product and all these modules are a blast, but please do something about this activation nightmare so that we can choose to use one DCS version instead of having to install 2 DCS versions

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

ED are probably doing their best to fix it but Steam might not want to let it happen. It's not in Valve's interest to let their users switch from Steam to ED store...

:(

Should have bought from ED website. Now I'm stuck with Steam :doh:

(only purchased from Steam because I thought I "knew" it was compatible with the stand alone)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Come on ED... DCS is a fantastic product and all these modules are a blast, but please do something about this activation nightmare so that we can choose to use one DCS version instead of having to install 2 DCS versions

They are.

One of the potential gains from their new activation system they're slowly rolling out is a unified DRM across both platforms.

Edited by Buzzles

Can't you return the module and re-buy it on standalone? Or have you already played too many hours on it?

I just looked into it, but I think I'll better leave it like this. Looks like I can't request a refund for the entire bundle, but only for the seperate modules. Not sure how that'll turn out, considering the bundle discount. Also I allready played for more than 2 hours yesterday (after I took my loss), so maybe my refund doesn't even get granted. No, I'll just accept it (and purchase any future modules on Steam)...

They are.

One of the potential gains from their new activation system they're slowly rolling out is a unified way DRM across both platforms.

I hope you're right

System specs:

Hey ED guys, I am trying to join a squadron and they are playing the Open Beta stand-a-lone version. Like many I bought on Steam and had no idea I would be locked into one platform or the other. When I installed the open beta it saw some of my keys but not the ones I cared about, I.E. Hornet, Harrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf.. and probably a few other modules I can't remember. Is there a way to get me off Steam all together so I can run on the open beta and not on the Steam version? If this isn't being addressed then I would respectfully request you make sure Steam users get a big pop up when trying to purchase there.