Storm of War - DCS WWII / Historical Server

philstyle

1 hour ago, greco.bernardi said:

Don´t let me wrong... I had hours of fun in Normandy map, but some times i think that Normandy map do a limited time frame and place for a diferent missions types.

Are you never think about change the server map to the The Channel map?

We have considered the Channel Map very carefully, but in its current form it is not suitable for Storm of War. The main reasons why we don't use the Channel Map are:

1.  A lack of historical scenarios (for the planeset we have)
2.  Insufficient airfields (especially on the Axis side)
3.  Performance (i.e. player-experienced frames-per-second)

We are also committed to developing our existing Normandy campaign.

There is a full article about all these reasons here: https://stormofwar.net/2020/11/01/november-2020-why-not-channel-map/

While it is possible to devise one-off scenarios for the Channel Map (e.g. Ramrod 564 - Amiens Prison), these rely on elements such as a single surprise strike. These types are scenarios are interesting, but do not let us sustain a 24/7 multiplayer environment. In the same way that you write that for Normandy there is "a limited time frame and place for a diferent missions types", the Channel Map is even more limited.

Related to this are issues such as multiplayer vectors, airfield defence, and other issues, which the Channel Map handles poorly.

As I wrote, we have considered the map very carefully, and have written numerous reports (REF1, REF2, REF3. etc.), but it really is not appropriate for historical missions in a multiplayer environment.

1 hour ago, greco.bernardi said:

In Normandy map every body are too close (allies and axis airbases). 

Its almost impossible to axis planes to operate near the coast line by Navy fire and almost every body goes to fly too low near Caen in a furball.

Regarding airfields (and the "Caen furball"), there are alternatives for both sides. It is possible for the Axis to start further back (Barville, Conches, Évreux), and likewise for the Allies (Tangmere, Ford, Funtington, etc.).

There are hot spots (in terms of Flak/AAA) for both sides. Yes, Allied ships at places like Grandcamp put up extremely stiff resistance. This is deliberate. Lone aircraft are indeed likely to get shredded. Attacking those positions requires multiple aircraft and teamwork. But there are easier areas too (such as the advance positions, which are feasible for lone aircraft to assault). It is possible to fly on the server both as a lone-wolf (or a full squadron) and find a suitable challenge.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, greco.bernardi said:

Are you never think about change the server map to the The Channel map?

We have thought about it very extensively and written three full reports on the topic in addition to summary posts on the Storm of War magazine. Dietrich has already answered your questions in his post just above, I suggest reading material (particularly the linked reports) in detail.

Edited by philstyle
  • Thanks 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

On 9/8/2021 at 12:46 AM, xvii-Dietrich said:

We have considered the Channel Map very carefully, but in its current form it is not suitable for Storm of War. The main reasons why we don't use the Channel Map are:

1.  A lack of historical scenarios (for the planeset we have)
2.  Insufficient airfields (especially on the Axis side)
3.  Performance (i.e. player-experienced frames-per-second)

We are also committed to developing our existing Normandy campaign.

There is a full article about all these reasons here: https://stormofwar.net/2020/11/01/november-2020-why-not-channel-map/

While it is possible to devise one-off scenarios for the Channel Map (e.g. Ramrod 564 - Amiens Prison), these rely on elements such as a single surprise strike. These types are scenarios are interesting, but do not let us sustain a 24/7 multiplayer environment. In the same way that you write that for Normandy there is "a limited time frame and place for a diferent missions types", the Channel Map is even more limited.

Related to this are issues such as multiplayer vectors, airfield defence, and other issues, which the Channel Map handles poorly.

As I wrote, we have considered the map very carefully, and have written numerous reports (REF1, REF2, REF3. etc.), but it really is not appropriate for historical missions in a multiplayer environment.

Regarding airfields (and the "Caen furball"), there are alternatives for both sides. It is possible for the Axis to start further back (Barville, Conches, Évreux), and likewise for the Allies (Tangmere, Ford, Funtington, etc.).

There are hot spots (in terms of Flak/AAA) for both sides. Yes, Allied ships at places like Grandcamp put up extremely stiff resistance. This is deliberate. Lone aircraft are indeed likely to get shredded. Attacking those positions requires multiple aircraft and teamwork. But there are easier areas too (such as the advance positions, which are feasible for lone aircraft to assault). It is possible to fly on the server both as a lone-wolf (or a full squadron) and find a suitable challenge.

20 hours ago, philstyle said:

We have thought about it very extensively and written three full reports on the topic in addition to summary posts on the Storm of War magazine. Dietrich has already answered your questions in his post just above, I suggest reading material (particularly the linked reports) in detail.

Thanks @xvii-Dietrichand @philstyle for the reply.

I didn´t read the reports in Storm of War. I will be more carefull to find it and read it in future.👍

Thanks for all explanation. See you in SOW skies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was flying on the storm of war server yesterday; it doesn't allow external views, which is fine, but afterwards I wanted to watch the replay back of the mission I'd just flown, but on the replay I couldn't watch any external views either. Is there a way to enable the F2, F3 and F4 views on the track replay, or is it hard coded in from the server settings?

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

I had some great fun on here last night flying on the German side. One particular sortie stands out when a bunch of us coordinated over comms to intercept some high flying bombers. Using comms and cooperating in this way really does add to the fun and immersion that you just don't get offline.

I still need to work on my warbird skills though. I was the fool who kept crashing into the bombers and who blew his engine trying to chase some high contrailing P47s or P51s before jumping into a Dora.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Lately I've been enjoying using the FW-190A8 to seek out and attack ground targets but I'm a bit confused by the large choice of bombs. Which would be the best to carry for general purpose ground attack against a variety of targets? What are the differences between the different bombs of the same weight? Which ones are bugged and which cause the greatest damage? Is it just the Anton that has bugged bombs or are the same bombs bugged on other warbirds?

Thanks.

Do the SoW missions run consecutively in the order they're listed on the SoW website, so you can see what mission will be next after the current one ends?

19 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Do the SoW missions run consecutively in the order they're listed on the SoW website, so you can see what mission will be next after the current one ends?

If you scroll down to the bottom of the stats website you will see a table showing the list of missions currently on the server and their running order:
https://stormofwar.info/

Edited by philstyle

Whoever was flying the P-51 last night that shot down an Anton attacking a flight of B-17s, I appreciated the impromptu airshow as I floated down to earth in my parachute. Very cool in VR! 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone successfully bomb ships? I always seem to get hit by flak and AAA before I get anywhere near. Any tips for the best approach? Dive bombing from high or approach by skimming the waves?

On 11/5/2021 at 5:14 PM, AlpineGTA said:

Can anyone successfully bomb ships? I always seem to get hit by flak and AAA before I get anywhere near. Any tips for the best approach? Dive bombing from high or approach by skimming the waves?

1. form up with a group of players
2. attack down the line of the ship from altitude, in a dive, with a coupleof guys playing flak distraction

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1