Storm of War - DCS WWII / Historical Server

philstyle

On 1/20/2022 at 4:45 AM, Nirvi said:

Mark present location is hardcoded and can't be disabled. (unfortunately)

Thnx for the info Nirvi, i must say i am disappointed by this.

For the ww2 warbirds this has to be removed.

Also, could you shed some light on the auto rudder and take off assistance

usage on the storm of war server pls?

On 1/20/2022 at 1:43 AM, Mr_sukebe said:

I hope that your comment wasn't serious.

After all, he's the server owner, NOT a helpdesk.

Yes i am dead serious, you think he doesn't read every text?

Hmmm, haven't you masses realized by now that the m is silent as you should be as well.

If the above are all hard coded and unchangeable for server hosts,

that's unacceptable. especially the GPS feature.

2 minutes ago, gordonvembu said:

Yes i am dead serious, you think he doesn't read every text?

Hmmm, haven't you masses realized by now that the m is silent as you should be as well.

If the above are all hard coded and unchangeable for server hosts,

that's unacceptable. especially the GPS feature.

I don’t think that you’ve got this yet.

It’s his server, so basically he’s God from the perspective of how it is configured and run.

What might help is to ask nicely.

As it is, with the style of your “demand”, I wouldn’t be surprised if he told you to take a running jump, or at least to suggest that maybe you should build and run your own server.

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

cool, i appreciate your non defensive reply.

i am just dipping my toes into dcs eventhough i have been here since

lockon, flamming cliffs 1/2/3.

ww2 air combat is my fav genre.

ergo, i want it done well and be a passion not a job for devs.

that said...if you are gonna setup a server for full historical accuracy,

you can not have the unholy trinity enabled.

they are gps, auto rudder n takeoff assistance.

now all i am asking philstlye aka god is what is the status on these 3.

i luv his obsession with ww2 warbirds but

phil you must stop those 3 existing...hmmm, also xnay the zoom...

why?...did the pilots use binoculars in flight?....methinks , NO.

can we have one fucking air sim game without this zoom feature pls?

so phil...lets make that 4 things u need to correct to gain my respect.

there is no such thing as hardcoding.

ask me how...i can show u how it can be done.

tell me with those 4 changes, this ww2 warbird sim will not only be more historical,

but increase the satisfaction lvl.

nuff said 4 now.

7 hours ago, gordonvembu said:

i luv his obsession with ww2 warbirds but

phil you must stop those 3 existing...hmmm, also xnay the zoom...

can we have one fucking air sim game without this zoom feature pls?

there is no such thing as hardcoding.

ask me how...i can show u how it can be done.

tell me with those 4 changes, this ww2 warbird sim will not only be more historical,

but increase the satisfaction lvl.

nuff said 4 now.

Now the term "Flying Circus" has got a new meaning for me. 

Well... some pilots did use binoculars in flight.

Why would Phil need your respect?

• Like 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

14 hours ago, gordonvembu said:

i luv his obsession with ww2 warbirds but phil you must stop those 3 existing...hmmm, also xnay the zoom...

As you already know from my reply to the exact same question on my YoutTube channel, all of the three things you identify in your rhetorical "unholy trinity" are NOT available to server administrators to turn on or off. They exist client-side. If you wish for them to be made availalbe as server options then you need to lobby Eagle Dynamics, who make the software, not SoW who simply use it. The DCS wishlist forum is here:https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/207-dcs-wishlist/
That would be the place to express your wish for those aspects of DCS to be within the control of the server host.

That sums up the status of these three things as far as SoW is concerned. .

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Oh no! No no no! I go to the server statistics page today and see this. How so? It was the only DCS WW2-themed server of its kind with such a level, approach, realism, attendance! Where to fly now?

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by DAVEY MORS
  • Like 1

Основатель виртуальной =2nd Singing Squadron= в далеком 22 июне 2002

16 minutes ago, DAVEY MORS said:

Oh no! No no no! I go to the server statistics page today and see this. How so? It was the only DCS WW2-themed server of its kind with such a level, approach, realism, attendance! Where to fly now?

Untitled-1.jpg

If you still have the tracks you also have the mission. You can do many things with that... 

This is a true shame, but I understand why the team felt the need to do this. I hope to see a new project in the future, and I hope this wakes ED up that there are plenty of folks who are very interested in seeing Warbirds get some regular love. 

I am very saddened by this news this cold morning. Cheers to the air team for running such a great server for many years in this game and the last. I hope you boys find a new passion to pursue in flight sims soon.

Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2

Hi,

Understandable move but hope that in the future this project will come back even better than it already is (was).

Future Improvements that may hopefully warrant SoW comeback:

- expanded Normandy map

- proper WWII radio navigation

- eliminate outstanding bugs (ok, the elephant in the room)

- overhaul of old modules (ED should, besides completing early access modules - Yak-52 included, overhaul at least the one most outdated module per year which would include Warbirds (even create a dedicated team for overhauls and bug squashing)

- more (many, many, many more) units in WWII Assets Pack

- proper modeling of WWII EW radars and GCI procedures and communications

- more theater and chronologically fit modules

- dynamic maps that based on date (historical date) would have certain infrastructure appear or not. Ex: the Normandy ALGs would have for instance four stages (empty, initial construction, half construction and operational) according to historical chronological status. This would expand operations time span (pre-invasion, invasion and post-invasion) and add historical realism and immersion

- dynamic campaign (parameterizable in this case to fit real world historical operations) with moving fronts that would upscale operations and mean different possible outcomes and probably induce better mission objectives discipline by the players

- whole world map where one could fly to differently detailed areas (Normandy 1944 and The Channel)

- introduction of logistics convoys/columns/air transport where BAI would play a role in the availability of frontline combat assets

- expanding of air reconnaissance to really discover moving combat and logistics units that would appear in the F10 map with a time stamp (not real time unit visibility)

- improved VR performance to then improve VR image quality (as I understand monitor players can spot , track and identify aircraft way better than VR players - I know VR resolution plays a big role in this and that technology is slowly catching up but on the software side there’s work to be done)

- further improve DM, ballistics and ammunition effects

- better AI FM (it’s coming probably soon)

- implement proper bailed out pilot water landing (dinghy where are you?) and ditching behavior

- when the pilot ejects on the ground, usually because the aircraft is unsafe, he should complete the drill (automatically) by moving away to a safe distance (and not be stuck moonwalking on the wing) and only then become player controlled

- proper ship DM including their defensive weapons

- more human like behavior in AI performance (sometimes it seems they’re either superhuman or super-stupid)

- …

- …

Cheers

• Like 1

This is a real tragedy. It was the SoW server that got me playing DCS online for the first time and over the last few months it's been the only server that I regularly flew on. I loved, despite the limitations of the game, how dynamic it felt, I loved how they rotated the missions so it never felt stagnent, the commaraderie and comms with people on your team, being able to look up your stats on the webpage afterwards, everything about it was great. There's just no other server like it that I can think of, I don't know where I'm going to go for the same DCS online buzz. Thank you guys for all the fun you provided but it really is a great shame, I hope you reconsider.

• Like 3

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

@philstyle Thanks Phil and all. Even though I was not yet joining the server (still learning the ropes of WW2 birds), I truly enjoyed your videos for entertainment, inspiration and education purpose.

I would love if you would re-consider and bring them back online at YouTube.

Good luck for your next project!  

Edited by Vettefan
  • Like 3

Thanks Phil and the team for the entertaining videos you have made from Storm of War and all though I’m a IL2 flyer I was so impressed with your YouTube videos I decided to purchase DCS WWII modules and have enjoyed learning to fly the Spit, P51, 109 and 190 with the intention to go onto the Storm of war.

Sorry to see it closed all the best in your next venture Phil/team certainly going to miss your YouTube channel.

Edited by Furni
  • Like 2

Huge thanks to Phil, Dietrich and everyone else that helped on SoW. This server was where I dipped my toe into warbirds for the first time and I was not disappointed, from the hand built historical missions to the player recorded stats and Gold stars, it’s been an absolute blast and I’m glad to have been apart of it. I was trying to count up how many fantastic squads have been formed thanks to SoW and lost count. Huge miss, but I leave with a smile on my face, Thank you.

• Like 1

If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.

• ED Team
4 hours ago, BM357_TinMan said:

Well, this is truly awful.  It appears, he has even removed all his great youtube content.

ED Does, indeed, need to focus on WWII more but this, I fear, will only hinder that

we continue to work on our projects and bugs. 

He closed his server and channel. We did not, please remember that. 

thanks

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY thank you for taking care and reach out for SoW Admins! Let´s hope Phil will take this opportunity to get in contact with ED and you could find a solution together to bring SoW back to life.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

• ED Team
24 minutes ago, Rosebud47 said:

@BIGNEWY thank you for taking care and reach out for SoW Admins! Let´s hope Phil will take this opportunity to get in contact with ED and you could find a solution together to bring SoW back to life.

No worries, but the only people who can bring SOW back to life are SOW admins. Fingers crossed for the future and a change of heart. 

thanks

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2