Avro VULCAN

Devil 505

This may or may not have been suggested in the past, but I felt compelled to bring it up as I just watched an emotional farewell documentary to the Vulcan. I had not idea the only one flying had been retired from flight in 2017. I must say I was a fortunate soul to see her fly 5 times in 2010 while studying in England.

After hearing about her history and the pride she brought to her country, I think it would be a fantastic module to make its way into DCS. According to the documentary, her first and I believe only combat mission was in the Falklands, bombing a runway. What better way to remember her than bringing her along with RazBams Falklands map/campaign. I know she flew a ridiculous ammount of miles and had to refuel 7 times, but I think it would still be a great model for DCS.

Thoughts and opinions on bringing the iconic girl to DCS?

Red_Arrows_Farewell_to_Vulcan_MOD_45159089.jpg

WA1206855.jpg

JS27027310.jpg

2ucQFfB.jpg

Edited by robert.clark251
  • Like 2

Im with you. Truly iconic aircraft, and my favorite bomber. So 50s, so 50s Sci-fi, so amazing.. and then the howl :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I always saw the Spitfire being the iconic image of the RAF and British air power, but watching this documentary put the two of aircraft on even grounds as far as popularity goes. Looking at it now, I could not see how DCS would not want to bring her to the table. So many men and women who loved and appreciated the Vulcan. It was amazing to see how many turned out to watch her final 1000 mile journey around the country.

I think it would be an honor to the men and their families who had such a connection to this aircraft to see it live on in DCS. Although, the same could be said for the B-17 which holds a very strong connection to my family and Grandfather who flew them and commanded them during the war. Hope to see the Vulcan make an appearance in DCS someday.

meh 1 trick pony. and horribly obselete by the time of the Falklands. It was retired shortly afterwards.

I would still rather have an F117.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I would still rather have an F117.

Me too... And i'm British!:thumbup:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I , too , have always had an appreciation of the Vulcan . It restored my faith in the Brits ability to design aircraft with fine lines . (After the Lightning-ugh) But it is a four-engined aircraft , and ED has never gone there . Perhaps as AI only , or maybe a compromise in full module-the twin-engined Canberra :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It flew 2 combat missions in its entire program and they broke the refueling probe on the second one, forcing a landing in a neutral country.

6 combat missions flown actually. 5 dropped or fired weapons including the one where the probe broke. 6th was cancelled inflight due to Victor tanker serviceability.

Your point is still true though, I don’t see any strategic bomber, tanker, maritime patrol aircraft etc making a full module viable. The number of people willing to fly a multi-hour mission in real-time and drop ordnance on a target you never see are few compared to those that want to zoom around with their hair on fire.

I do love the Vulcan, it’s never gonna happen though.

• Like 1

6 combat missions flown actually. 5 dropped or fired weapons including the one where the probe broke. 6th was cancelled inflight due to Victor tanker serviceability.

Your point is still true though, I don’t see any strategic bomber, tanker, maritime patrol aircraft etc making a full module viable. The number of people willing to fly a multi-hour mission in real-time and drop ordnance on a target you never see are few compared to those that want to zoom around with their hair on fire.

I do love the Vulcan, it’s never gonna happen though.

Vulcan as far as i remember could go super sonic in a dive, also was one of the bombers able to out turn the f4 phantom at high altitude not to mention the fact that it had a very good bomb load, the possibility for nukes, and two very big missiles or conventional bomb load would in my opinion make it fairly popular with those who like multi crew ops and might even bring over some of the civil flight sim folks.

question is how they would do the bomb computer.

Would be a purchase for me!

It would require some AI (crew) since the aircraft had five crew members.

This was the Cold War nuclear defence. So we could use the Normandy UK map. If they don't want nukes, then the twenty odd thousand pounders could simulate a cold war Warsaw Pact advance into France!

Black Buck would need a Falklands Map (another purchase from me....can use the Harrier there!) To simulate all those refuellings! Oh and an Ascention Island Map!

Just simulate that "Howl" from those engines!!!

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I would love to see some heavy Bombers in DCS but i would highly prefer a B-1B or a B-52 with some AI multicrew.

And DCS-limitations are to be considered:

As we all know there is an engine limitation in DCS because of which only a/c with 2 or less engines can be simulated in detail

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

• 3 months later...

I'm more of a B-1B guy but I would buy the Vukcan. It simple would be something different to fly from time to time.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I do love the Vulcan, I really do but the chances of it becoming a FF module are slim. 2 man multicrew is a major undertaking in DCS right now. The Avro Vulcan has 5 crew. I wish the best of luck to the team that tries to make multicrew sync with a 5 man crew!

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

• 2 years later...

Would probably be better as an AI asset first before making a FF module, and preferably the modified Vulcan B.2 circa 1982 w. AGM-45 capability. 

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Unlikely we'll ever get an FF module of anything that was ever a part of the nuclear triad of any country. AI would be nice for Falklands, though.

Meh, if we were going to get a FF module in the future, it would probably be the 1982 fit which is what it's probably most known for. It's armament would've only been 1000 Ib British GP dumb bombs (Mk13?) and AGM-45s - as well as an expanded EW/DECM suite (ALQ-101/DASH 10 - mounted in the tail) .

The blue steel missile (1.1 mt, ~1000km range) was retired by 1970, though the WE.177A/B (0.5 - 10 kt and 450 kt respectively) were still around to the late 90s. But by the 80s the Vulcan's nuclear role was basically gone, being only really for tactical use - by which time the Buccaneer and Jaguar had basically replaced it.

Don't forget the B-52H, Tu-22M3, Tu-95MS and Tu-160 can all be nuclear armed and all form part of the nuclear triad too. And we already have FF modules which, like the Vulcan, are capable of tactical nuclear strike, such as the F-16CM and F/A-18C, with bombs with similar or greater yields.

However, even with all the above, being a British aircraft, much of the systems (especially the EW equipment, including the RWR) are classified AFAIK, despite the age of them and despite them being long out of service.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.