Avro VULCAN

Devil 505

I think with the new Falklands map coming from RAZ and its size will start to show promise for heavy bombers.  I know their will be criticism from the fighter jocks (I am one to) but I remember the days of Megafortress back on IBM.  I really enjoyed the challenge of using each station.  I know it was not realistic, but I got the same vibe from the Anubis C-130 mod.  Hopefully that comes to a third party development at some time.  It is only a matter of time before we start seeing bombers surface in DCS.  Be it the Vulcan or B-52, I am thoroughly down for one of these modules and I think a lot of others will be to.

• Like 2

It’s mostly overlooked but in 1960 the Vulcan and its advanced ECM suite made it a hot ship. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sky_Shield

Barnes Wallis and RJ Mitchell are household names in the UK but there’s no doubt Roy Chadwick was a quiet practical genius. The Vulcan was the star of UK air shows in the 70s going straight from takeoff to a full throttle ground shaking near vertical climb. Glorious.

• Like 1

The Vulcan is my number one favourite aircraft but I doubt most here would like it very much.  Anyone who ever sat in the pilots seats will tell you that the cockpit windows are tiny and the view out is pretty appalling.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

35 minutes ago, Goggz said:

Sadly, there will never be a Vulcan in DCS, if only because there are no maintenance personnel left who understand the hydraulic control systems...

That's what original manuals are for:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The issue with the Vulcan is that for some inane reason the UK government classifies anything and everything about EW systems - even on platforms like the Vulcan, which left service in the early 80s!

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, joey45 said:

The EW suite wasn't that updated much from when it entered service till out of service,

Which is why it's even more ridiculous.

And FWIW it did receive a significant update in the 80s with DASH 10, which is basically just an AN/ALQ-101.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

To me, the Vulcan is a breed apart simply for its looks: there is no more elegant, graceful looking fighter plane than this. It's very presence seems to ooze poise, sophistication and confidence. No other plane, especially no US-built, can touch it. Not that looks ever mattered in warplanes (see Warthog), but still... 🙂

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1