OT - Farewell to the Jaguar!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :cry:

I going to be wearing black in mourning today . . .

Only good thing that might come out of this is maybe they will unclassify the manuals and stuff, then we might be able to see one done properly in a sim.

Sorry to disappoint but all RAF Jags will be grounded so no airshow etc. Its a shame but its an old AC and its role will be taken over (eventually) by the Typhoon.

I'm sad at its retirement. As a kid I love watching them screem down the valleys at low level in the Highlands of Scotland. :noexpression:

Sorry to disappoint but all RAF Jags will be grounded so no airshow etc. Its a shame but its an old AC and its role will be taken over (eventually) by the Typhoon.

I'm sad at its retirement. As a kid I love watching them screem down the valleys at low level in the Highlands of Scotland. :noexpression:

Yeah but I'm sure a museum such as Duxford will aquire one and if we're lucky someone there could maintain it for airshows?

Yeah but I'm sure a museum such as Duxford will aquire one and if we're lucky someone there could maintain it for airshows?

Sorry but private AC need CAA approval and they have never allowed an jet with an afterbruner to be flown in UK airspace let alone an airshow. The b***ers! :mad:

Duxford already have one :D

Whoa!

That's in the new Airspace hangar, right?

Last time I was at Duxford was for Flying Legends last summer, they hadn't opened Airspace then . . . . it'll be open this time, looking forward to it. Flying Legends is the one weekend of the year for me that is reserved for nothing else :P

For all those who aren't yet aware, btw . . . Duxford's big Flying Legends weekend, chock-full of warbirds (last year the highlight was a twelve-Spitfire-scramble) . . . . is run by The Fighter Collection.

The same Fighter Collection who are responsible for Eagle Dynamics in the western world ;)

If there's any chance at all of anyone making it to Duxford on the 7th/8th July this year, do it. The sight (and sound) of twelve Spitfires scrambling is like nothing else you'll ever see in this world, and MUST be experienced . . . .

While in the USAF in Germany I worked around lots and lots of Jaguars, it was close to the time of Falklands war. Lots of Harriers were there too, they did lots of trick flying for us, showing off... it was almost a comedy routine, they would use the thrusters to put the planes in comical like manuevers to talk, like saying yes and no, and to use the nose to move up/down/right/left while hovering above us.. The Jags had lots of hardpoints to carry weapons but were very very skinny. The F-111's carry a huge amount of fuel and the bomb bay is pretty damned big.. working around a Nato base I was exposed to many, many, many aircraft..

Just a few notes on what was often there on the flight line. Many A-10's were there too... the First F16's went to Isreals back then..

F-4 Phantoms always used cables to catch to slow them down with hot-brakes.. they were/aare fuel hogs... but carry tons of weapons.

Air Shows were common every eyar back then. I got to help prep a Spitfire, that was fun.

Oh well,,

enough jabbering..

:doh:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

No Jag at Biggin Hill yesterday, and that has to be a first. No Harriers either, which is *definitely* a first... they're too busy out in real world operations at the moment apparently. A sad sign of the times.

The Jaguar is a really nice aircraft though. Plenty of character in its design. I'll miss it.

Andrew McP