[REPORTED] RWR showing spike or mud when other aircraft are tracked

Sandman1330

I think this has been mentioned in other threads about different topics, but to my knowledge there has not been a thread started specifically to address this one.

In playing the new ED developed campaign, I'm really noticing the RWR sounding a tracking warning anytime an emitter goes into track mode, regardless of whether it is targeted on the player. For example, when the F14s are fighting the MiGs, I'm getting spiked off the MiGs, even though they are far away and presumably tracking the Tomcats, as they are fighting (and launching on) said Tomcats. The same goes for the SA6s, they are engaging the SEAD fighters yet I am getting a mud indication off them. I'm even getting launch indications when fighters launch on my wingman.

This shouldn't be the case. Unlike search beams, which are wide by nature and would be picked up by all the RWRs in the area, tracking beams are very narrow (in the area of 2 degrees), and therefore that tracking warning should only illuminate the RWR on the aircraft being targeted, or possibly others very near to him if it is at long range. I should not be getting spiked or mud when the battle is going on 50 miles away.

This isn't a new bug, but it has become very prevalent in the new campaign. Has this been reported yet?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

This issue is so prevalent and widespread, I’m surprised a track file is even required.

Thx backspace for putting a couple up!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I remember in multiplayer we were a group split by over 10K feet and both sides were recording from cockpit. We all got spiked by F-18 at the same time and thought they had each seen both person. On the playback it wasn't so, they never saw the low person on radar, nevertheless they still had a spike in their cockpit.

Didn't occur it was a bug until reading this and have never specifically tested it, because, usually people are in close prox to each other and the CW beam is quite wide. This might be a thing.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Yeah this been totally broken for a long time

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

• 3 months later...

Do we know if this has been acknowledged?

Just played the Red Flag Hornet mission by Wags. Awesome mission! But it made this bug painfully evident. Every time anyone else was tracked (mostly by airborne targets), my RWR would start singing away, but I was never actually targeted by enemy air (the F15Cs were cleaning house in that arena).

As I mentioned in my OP, this isn't realistic. Only the aircraft being tracked should be getting spiked, and it really hurts situational awareness in a busy mission like this one.

Broken for a long time, sometimes you are tracked and locked even on the ground, and far from the battle, very annoying

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

*Bump*

This is still present and has quite big tactical outcome. There´s currently no way to practice proper spike discrimination as a spike on some aircraft triggers the spike warning on several rwr all around in a rather huge volume.

• ED Team
I keep getting this flying in multiplayer missions, specifically on the PGAW server. I get locked up parked on the ground as soon as I turn the RWR on, under an aircraft shelter.

It's really ridiculous this is still happening two years later.

Hi

It is not a simple problem and will require a rework of some code, I will ask for a progress update.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

It is not a simple problem and will require a rework of some code, I will ask for a progress update.

thanks

Thanks for the update BN! It may not be as easy of a fix as I’d hoped but it’s nice to know it’s being looked at.

• 5 months later...
On 7/13/2020 at 7:47 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi

thanks

Any news on that? It's hands down for me the most annoying bug in DCS atm, also affects friendly and enemy SAMs and ships

• Like 3

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

I wouldn't be surprised if something was off with the RADAR modelling of these emitters - triggering the RWR if within search volume instead of actually representing the actual beam.

RADARs (and everything EM) will spread out as they travel - part of what makes up the inverse square law, so I'd expect that at a certain distance, 2 aircraft close to each other would receive the same indications even if only one is under attack.

In DCS, I've launched a Harpoon at a ship, and received threat warnings from the ship (tracking/launch) even though I was something like 3x further away (~20nmi), 70° off-axis and 20,000 feet higher than the Harpoon. In this case the ship was defending itself with an SA-N-4, the naval version of the SA-8. If the SA-N-4s FCR (4R33 "Pop Group") is anything like the land based one (1S51 "Land Roll") the search channel should only have a range of 25nmi, and the engagement RADAR should only have a 0.9° mainlobe. Now I'm pretty sure RWRs can detect sidelobes, but for 1, I very much doubt I was picking one up and 2.) I don't think DCS models sidelobes (any RADAR that isn't a player operated, on an aircraft is simplified).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Well it's a widespread issue that affects SAMS and some AI aircraft as well as ships, RWR spikes on a huuuuge area around the actual targets, Bignewy said 7 months ago he'd get an update on this from the team but we never got it, I'd really like to get that update

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah it's fine this has just been around for 3 years

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Any news on this?

Maybe I'm just weird, but this is still one of the most annoying bugs in DCS for my part.

You fly around in, say the Viper, and you get spiked all the time. However, when you check your datalink, you can see that the engagement is happening somewhere far away, and the hostile aircraft is not even pointing their radar in your direction.

Really hope this can be fixed someday, as I'm so tired of getting the "boy that cried wolf syndrome" from my RWR. After flying around and getting false spiked for a big majority of the mission, you kind of start to tune it out. Then it's suddenly "real" and you don't react in time

it's quite impressive that such a huge and annoying bug as this is around for 4 years isn't it?

56 minutes ago, raelias said:

it's quite impressive that such a huge and annoying bug as this is around for 4 years isn't it?

Quite so. It drives me nuts every time I play on larger multiplayer servers with lots of things happening. Getting "fake spiked" almost constantly. Even while parked on the ground....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi, the main issue of receiving rwr warning from other aircraft aver very long distances was fixed some time ago, however we do have some more tweaks to do for rwr logic. 

best regards

Bignewy

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2