[REPORTED] RWR showing spike or mud when other aircraft are tracked

Sandman1330

the main issue is that it happens from ground/ship based radars all the time and it's been 4 years

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

The RWR is not a magic device that can tell you you are the target. If you are within or close enough to one beamwidth, you will get mud and singer indications even if you are not the target.

While newer radars will have a bemawidth of <= 1 degree, some old SAM radars like the Fan Song can have a beamwidth of up to 10 degrees, that is a 5 mile area at 30 nm range, where a whole formation should get a mud/singer indication.

So please document yourselves before asking for the RWR to operate in magic ways that a real one does not. There are two bugs here currently that are not what has been reported:

1) The area within which players get lock indication is too wide (~90º)

2) Players who get mud indication don't get launch indication

This is fixed by having DCS model different beamwidth values for different radars, and everyone within a beamwidth should get both lock and launch indications.

Asking for the RWR to magically only get those indications if one is the target is asking for DCS to turn into Ace Combat.

5 minutes ago, Ahmed said:

The RWR is not a magic device that can tell you you are the target. If you are within or close enough to one beamwidth, you will get mud and singer indications even if you are not the target.

While newer radars will have a bemawidth of <= 1 degree, some old SAM radars like the Fan Song can have a beamwidth of up to 10 degrees, that is a 5 mile area at 30 nm range, where a whole formation should get a mud/singer indication.

So please document yourselves before asking for the RWR to operate in magic ways that a real one does not. There are two bugs here currently that are not what has been reported:

1) The area within which players get lock indication is too wide (~90º)

2) Players who get mud indication don't get launch indication

This is fixed by having DCS model different beamwidth values for different radars, and everyone within a beamwidth should get both lock and launch indications.

Asking for the RWR to magically only get those indications if one is the target is asking for DCS to turn into Ace Combat.

Please read the reports before writing nonsense

Or you are telling me that asking for my rwr not to spike on the ground, in the other side of the map when an allied flight is spiked in the opposite azimith is asking to turn DCS into Ace Combat?

• Like 2

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

4 minutes ago, raelias said:

Please read the reports before writing nonsense

Or you are telling me that asking for my rwr not to spike on the ground, in the other side of the map when an allied flight is spiked in the opposite azimith is asking to turn DCS into Ace Combat?

No, I wrote clearly that there are bugs, but asking for only the target to receive those indications is not the solution for those issues. The solution is properly modeling beamwidth.

30 minutes ago, Ahmed said:

No, I wrote clearly that there are bugs, but asking for only the target to receive those indications is not the solution for those issues. The solution is properly modeling beamwidth.

As it should, but that's not what is been reported here.

I absolutely should get spiked if I'm flying close-ish to the actual target, and it works pretty well in single player, but in multiplayer, if any allied get spiked by ground/sea based radars, you will be as well, no matter where you are, that's what this thread is about, and such a huge bug being around for 4 years is totally unacceptable

• Like 2

Yea indeed. I don't think me, nor anyone else, wants the RWR to be a very basically programmed "if locked on, then spike warning" kind of instrument. 

As mentioned before, it is especially prevalent in big multiplayer missions, where you have friendly and enemy AI fighters etc, that fight each other.

You can then be sitting on the tarmac in Dubai, while some AI jets fight each other out in the gulf, with no radar beams even remotely close to your position. It just makes me turn off the RWR a lot, to stop the fake spike warnings, but of course, I will often forget to turn it back on. Which leads to other problems :P.

And as also mentioned, it's a problem with mud spikes as well. It just seems like the logic is almost on the level of "if your plane is inside the emitters regular azimuth limits, you will get spiked if he locks on someone tens of degrees off". 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...