Mig-29 updated cockpit looks weird

I think the main 'problem' (and it's not specific to the Mig-29) is that the light from the terrain is penetrating the cockpit floor and illuminating everything that would ordinarily be in shadow - e.g. the canopy framing and the HUD padding are glowing with yellow light from the fields beneath.

BCJXogo.png

I think the main 'problem' (and it's not specific to the Mig-29) is that the light from the terrain is penetrating the cockpit floor and illuminating everything that would ordinarily be in shadow - e.g. the canopy framing and the HUD padding are glowing with yellow light from the fields beneath.

BCJXogo.png

The effect you are describing is commonly called "radiosity" and is absolutely realistic and how the light works in real life...

The main problem here, is the lack of AO info in both diffuse textures AND roughmet maps in some parts of the cockpit...that said, I agree with you that the bounced light from the environement avoids the AO info stored in the roughmets with that info (which is somewhat "dynamic") to be showed...

My guess is that the AO is tied to the real time self shadows and thus, as the bounced light doesnt cast shadows it simply illuminates everything, avoiding the AO to work. Maybe a good solution would be to treat that bounced light as shadows in terms of AO so we have both things, AO and radiosity...anyway bounced light is softer and has less power (in general) so it would look almost how a real time G.I. would do but in a cheaper computational cost.

Just m2c.

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

I am not seeing the movement issues, are you talking about TrackIR?

Also I cannot replicate the floating object you are seeing. Are you seeing it in all variants?

OK, now I basically tried everything. Moved out my mods (that's what I first try anyway in case of issues and I do that every update and then put them back in afterwards), moved out my Config\View files in the user path and even after that being not successful, I removed my user settings folder completely and ran a repair (DCS_updater.exe repair). That did the trick, but for a strange reason I had to come across later... dealwithit.png

So I tried to get back the issue step by step. But first let me tell one thing: Without any of my configuration, I also had none of my missions and so I used a QMB mission that I just let DCS generate for me to have a ramp start in the MiG-29G somewhere in the Caucasus. I copied that one over to my settings folder after noticing that the issues were back as soon as I ran my usual TTR mission. Then I tried the generated one and all was OK again. So I went out, put my mods back in as well - with the same results. Then I had to start digging and found something I'd never have expected [insert drumroll /]:

ivgzzefr.jpg

I still don't get why there are settings taken over into the mission file and especially when this happens, but they sure are some pretty old ones that screw up a few things as the mission ages.

Basically this was also the cause for some other minor issued I encountered when setting up my FOV controls for some of the modules, including the P-51 and the MiG-29s which had their Cockpit Cam Angles restricted to 30-90° still* even though I absolutely had no instance of that setting anymore in any of my config files and I just couldn't tell why. Now I know... v8laic37.png

* In case you're interested in details:

my old way to do this was to limit the view configs, but as soon as they've been blocked by the IC, I had to find another way which is directly mapping wanted angles as keybinds, which I do by adding this bit to all keyboard default.lua files that don't use the base file and the base file itself:

-- COCKPIT VIEW FOV / ZOOM PRESETS

{down = iCommandViewZoomAbs, value_down = -0.833333, name = _('Cockpit FOV 30'), category = _('View Cockpit FOV')},

{down = iCommandViewZoomAbs, value_down = -0.333333, name = _('Cockpit FOV 60'), category = _('View Cockpit FOV')},

{down = iCommandViewZoomAbs, value_down = 0.166666, name = _('Cockpit FOV 90'), category = _('View Cockpit FOV')},

Well, in case of limits other than 20-140° I'll have to recalculate the values for that specific module and change them respectively.

At least I've learnt something new about DCS again...

tmenb55f.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Alternative cockpit textures for use with the updated 29 pit

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dsqh010jsycgd96/2.5.3_MiG-29_pit.rar/file

extract and copy 'Fixed' folder to Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Liveries\Cockpit_MiG-29S directory then select the pit through the 'special' page in options.

wVvq2Im.jpg

Mustang,

Would you please change the color of RMI needle to BRIGHT YELLOW or RED on HSI to make it easier to spot in flight ? It is the most important indicator for MiG-29 navigation, but it is now in WHITE and can be barely seen. I believe the RMI arrow in real life is in bright yellow as shown in the picture above.

Thank you very much for your good works ! :thumbup:

(RMI stands for Radio Magnetic Indicator, it's also called ADF needle, and it points to the current steering point or a radio beacon of a chosen airfield / NDB ).

So, what was changed in the latest patch regarding the cockpit?

This part in front of the HUD looked the same (kind of lifeless) so I went back to the Mustang one (thanks).

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The new cockpit looks great! waaaay better then initially released, a bit of wear and tear has been added, fixed some bugs with black textures, the front hud is definately not the same..now more realistic and all hud parts are in the same tone with refined bump maps, the canopy sealant is now in pink color as it should be and also with bump maps, the stick is now rotate to the left as it should be...so quite a few changes. They did a great job on the cockpit update, no mod needed for me at least (and I am quite nitpicky when it comes to cockpit textures)

For me the best aspect of today's cockpit, is that the RWR is usable when the instruments lights are on ... previously you couldnt distinguish the RWR lamps. Also, the texture shadows look much better :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I still have a hard time trying to understand why ED changed the cockpit textures?

When ED released the new cockpit and external model for the MiG-29 back in 2017 it looked absolutely gorgeous, it did have some issue with the HUD, gauges and reflections though, but the "new" cockpit looks just bad.

Why?

Thank you Mustang for the mod, that's how it should look like (how it used to).

With the last Open Beta and today Relase , the cockpit is back to its full glory

+1 Agree

Now it looks better then ever...when the updated cockpit came out for 1.5 it looked ok..but in 2.5 it just did not work. The artifical shadows were too pronounced and so made the cockpit look like a painting with no sense of material or depth whatsoever

Great job ED

Screen_181016_225200.thumb.png.bb60acaf4e338583afadb10d4815a6d1.png

• ED Team
My only issue is it's almost impossible to read the SPO when the sun is shining into the cockpit. img

(I'm being locked in this picture but I can hardly tell from where because of the sun)

I'll ask around, it's possible that is how it is in the real world, if not I can report it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Following the disscusion about this from the patch notes thread...anyone else experiencing this?...another pic showing how weird and ugly it looks...it looks much worse than before :cry::

1539189509-dcs-2018-10-10-18-37-27-92.png

I noticed it straight away after updating,I cant put my finger on it exactly , but it just doesnt look as nice anymore:( dunno why they had to mess with it, I thought these were meant to be upgrades and not downgrades.

Edited by Stealth29(U.K)

+1 Agree

Now it looks better then ever...when the updated cockpit came out for 1.5 it looked ok..but in 2.5 it just did not work. The artifical shadows were too pronounced and so made the cockpit look like a painting with no sense of material or depth whatsoever

Great job ED

+1

I agree - the baked on shadows looked rather fake. In fact, this is the best looking FC3 cockpit now in terms of quality quality and "feel", esp in VR. I wish the the Su-25, 27, and 33 would get that same treatment.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I noticed it straight away after updating,I cant put my finger on it exactly , but it just doesnt look as nice anymore:( dunno why they had to mess with it, I thought these were meant to be upgrades and not downgrades.

Mate, I think we are not looking at the same cockpit...this is the cockpit after latest update to OB (16.10). I agree with rrhode...one the best looking and immersive cockpits in FC3 and definately on par with other full modules and I would even dare to say better than some.neGhJsU.png

gwK7t6e.png

N82Uo8R.png

Well, of course removing pre-baked effects (reflections, shadows) is a good thing...the problem is that since doing so, as soon as some parts are illuminated by indirect light (which will prevent the pseudo-dynamic AO to show) there is no shadowing at all...this wont be the case in real life and thus thats why it looks odd some times...since the last update it looks a bit better (its a bit darker in some parts) but the canopy frame still look odd with the indirect light...that said, it looks very good in general just it seems to me like a WiP not yet done as some parts (like the dashboard) look worse than before as there is no any material nor diffuse detail/weathering on it which there was before so I guess its not yet finished.

Also, things like the hud have margin of improvement...I made a quick mod to remove most of the pre-baked reflections on it and added a roughmet to make glass material and it looks way better...also the hud projector has glass material, which is nice as not even the hornet has it however, it looks like the black level used in PS for it is crushed and it doesnt work properly and looks bad/corrupted (also corrected this myself and now works fine so Im right about the issue)...things like that should be a standar now imho so hope they improve it further.

Take a look at my MODS here

...I made a quick mod to remove most of the pre-baked reflections on it and added a roughmet to make glass material and it looks way better...also the hud projector has glass material, which is nice as not even the hornet has it however, it looks like the black level used in PS for it is crushed and it doesnt work properly and looks bad/corrupted (also corrected this myself and now works fine so Im right about the issue)...

Please, could you share the Mod? .. I'd love to give it a try :)

Thanks a lot & best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB