Level bombing in the Viggen

TLTeo

Hello,

I'm trying to perfect level bombing in the Viggen and the HUD indications never quite do what they are supposed to do; no matter what I try they always disappear under the nose; it actually feels similar to the CCIP issue that was happening a few patches ago.

The manual states that this should only happen if the plane is in a slight climb or too high, but I have had this happen when flying too low and on a slight dive on purpose.

Also, Chuck's guide mentions that we should disable radar ranging, but the manual clearly states that radar ranging in level mode begins after setting trigger to unsafe. I guess he's just wrong? I have tried both ways and I still can't get the procedure right. Any idea of where I might be messing up?

Assuming you have the HUD lowered and the seat higher and your in the drop parameters and have the correct QFE set.

I haven't tried it in the last few patches but this seemed very touchy to me as well but once I had all the parameters in correctly it worked. QFE being most important

Strange, I have played the 'Interdiction' a couple of times the past week, with the same issue you describe. Updated yesterday and played it again today, with the correct behavior for the symbology when in CCIP mode. Saw it with ease the entire attack run. Others have also reported it as fixed elsewhere.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3651529

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Yeah i confirm the same problem with level bombing delivery!

The only way i could get the launch authorisation HUD symbol is by popping up to approx. 300m, HUD piper over target and shallow dive, trigger unsafe...and by the the time launch authorisation line flashes on HUD, i'm at 200m altitude. bombs away.

Seems like a bug similar to high drag bomb delivery.

By the way, nice little mission you got set up... i got chased by 2 MIGs in the end.

The manual states that this should only happen if the plane is in a slight climb or too high

Does the manual state this? Because its incorrect. The sight can drop below the HUD if you are using a higher safety height or in a climb. Contrary if you are flying too high the presentation might be above the HUD. What safety height are you using? I just tested it and seems to work for me . Following the HUD sight had me intersect the safety height over the target.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

What safety height are you using?

How do you set a safety altitude? Also having issues with level bombing when flying level, have to try shallow dive. Manual states release altitude is around 200 meters - is this also the safety altitude as standard?

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Level bombing in the Viggen

No the standard is 400m. You set it in the mission editor. Low = 200m, medium = 400m and high = 600m for low drag bombs. Other heights for other weapons. Default in ME is medium height. No idea if this was standard IRL

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Uh that is very likely it, I was also using 200 meters. I will test 400 in a bit. The manual states that typical release altitude is 200 meters on page 298, and that the indicators may disappear if slightly too high or in a climb on page 300. Thanks for the clarification!

Edit: by default it seems like safety height is set to high in the mission editor. The symbology more or less shows up on the HUD but my bombs always release too late and miss the target at medium and high safety heights. The release cue does not show up at all so I end up improvising the release timing, which is not nearly as accurate as it should be. Releasing from 200 meters seems fine though, so I guess there's still something missing to get this done right.

Edited by TLTeo

No the standard is 400m. You set it in the mission editor. Low = 200m, medium = 400m and high = 600m for low drag bombs. Other heights for other weapons. Default in ME is medium height. No idea if this was standard IRL

Ok, thanks. Will try that.

Regarding the manual, you probably need to add the actual altitudes somewhere - it's impossible to know that low refers to 200m, medium 400m and so on. Especially as the low altitude bombing on page 298 in the manual refers to 'around 200m' and nothing else -- but the default is actually 400m.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

RagnarDa, can you somehow add this information into the dropdown of the ME?

It would maybe avoid RTFM during the mission design process for a few of us ... :)

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

It has different meanings for different weapons and modes, for example with high-drags and PLAN its between 130 to 160m depending on speed, and for rockets its 200, 440 and 440 (low, medium and high respectively) and for guns its 120, 200 and 200.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

It has different meanings for different weapons and modes, for example with high-drags and PLAN its between 130 to 160m depending on speed, and for rockets its 200, 440 and 440 (low, medium and high respectively) and for guns its 120, 200 and 200.

IC, I guess there will be no way of filling the dropdown with suitable information depending on the current loadout? (its because :santa: isn't too far away ... )

But I dont want to stress this too much ... a few other things are more important, you know ... this and that :P

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Can you arrange to add this info to the manual, maybe somewhere around page 378?

my computer:

• 1 year later...

This post saved me from madness. Have been fiddeling around for 2 hours reading manuals until my eyes bled. Just as the OP my target HUD symbology "dropped" out of the HUD. When changing to 400 meters instead of 200 as the manual and Chucks guide says it works like a charm (ish ;)).

But - with that said - any way to change the "safety height"?

And - after the first joy as I almost get it right now, I realized that I normally drop a bit short. So:

* I have set the QFE correctly for the target (I think - when looking at the target in the HUD the circle is spot on)

* I have SI Slave off

* I am using the radar altimeter (is that right?) and fly at 400 meters (on the HUD).

* I press "safety bracket off" when the dot is in the target circle. Then the dot "stops" in the circle.

* I drop the bombs right after the "wings" on the target reticle appear.

Normally the bombs land about 100 meter short but often kill the target anyway with the last bomb.

Any advice?

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

But - with that said - any way to change the "safety height"?

Not in-flight I think, only on ground.

CCIP with high drag bombs works fine for me, it's level bombing with low drag bombs that's off. All the other low drag bomb modes seem ok though.

Exactly the same here, noticed in OB 2.5.5.41962:

Good behavior for DYK release, TOSS release, and level release for high drag bombs.

Had problems with level release with low drag bombs.

Edited by TOViper

my computer: