Need help picking monitor and upgrades

Getting tired of using a single 22" (1680x1050 res) for flight sims, mainly DCS and IL2-BOS. I am interested in two things: 1, upgrading to a single 2k monitor, 2 what do I need to upgrade to run such monitor. Was wanting to get at least a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor, but looking into things turns out they have curved ultrawide monitors now and G-sync is interesting to me. I don't live in a city that has a computer store to see these things. Largest size I could fit on desk would be a 34" monitor, but would have to have speakers at weird angles to do so, a 27" would fit nicely without having to put speakers off weird. While I don't need to play on ultra I would like to play on high settings. Looking into things seems like i might need to at least upgrade video card, was thinking getting a GTX 1070 could run a single 2K monitor.

Currently I have i5-4690k at stock 3.5 ghz, ASUS Z97-A, 32 Gb ram, EVGA GTX 770 dual super-clocked 4GB, with both games installed on OS SSD.

What do you guys think 27" or 34"? What will i need for other upgrades to run?

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

As long as the speakers are aimed appropriately at your listening position it should be no problem.

As for screens I'm in the school of "bigger is always better", so I suppose you could guess where I'm going ?

Anyhoo, I have been living and enjoying a 34" ultrawide monitor for about three years now with the native resolution of 3440x1440.

I bought this as a new main of my multi monitor setup, intending to keep two of my 24" 1080p panels that I was running in a trippel screen setup.

It turned out to completely replace all three screens, a large ultra wide give me all the benefits of a multi monitor setup for working, but none of the problems associated with running surround or just having 3+ monitors connected to a pc.

So definitely a big "two thumbs-up" upgrade decsision in my opinion.

When I got this I was also running a stock i5-4690k, 16GB of 1600mhz RAM and a 2GB 960.

The latter was just shy of being able to run high\maxed out setting at the new resolution.

I was not playing DCS though at that point in time, mostly Elite dangerous and enjoying the new surfaces beta as I bought the screen.

I switched that out for a 980ti and after that is was simply to "max all the things" and coast.

A 1070 should easily manage the same, I'm honestly certain that with those two you could easily enjoy any of the new screens, short of a 4k at higher settings with higher frame rates.

And there could be some issues with compatibility with some games and ultrawide resolutions, in the absolute worst case scenario, you run the game in 2560x1440 this gives me black bars on the side, but the screen itself still operate in a 1:1 pixel grid and no scaling artefacts.

These titles are few and far between, DCS is not one of them for certain.

The worst I have encountered so far in my usual roster of games is that Skyrim needs a quick text file edit to run in a wide resolution, after that it works just fine.

And if you do, watching a 21:9 movie on such a screen is positively a treat when compared to regular screens, apart from two thin black bars on the side the image fills the entire screen.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Go read some more about VR. Even as is, it’s a game changer

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Well, I am a bit of a VR evangelist myself, I own a rift and a Vive, and have a pledge in for the Pimax 8k, but when someone asks about a screen, I answer to that.

Also with VR, I'm afraid he would need a significantly bigger upgrade to his computer, and as things are, still feel the need for a new screen for anything non VR related.

VR is honestly the only reason why I have built the rig in my signature, without that I most like would still have been very happy with the i5 4690k and 980ti.

For instance just the move from a 4th series CPU and ddr3 to a new DDR4 platform was huge when in regards to VR stability.

And especially ASW artefacting improved significantly basically from unbearable to barely noticeable.

And I moved from the i5 to an i7 4790k with the 1080ti, to the 8700k with the same and percieved upgrade was a monumental as swithing the 980ti with the 1080ti.

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Very good to know you had similar system and that a 1070 should work fine even with the uwhd. Would I see any difference between a 1070ti vs standard 1070?

I still like playing old games (x-wing and tie fighter) which won't work for VR. Also, I am waiting till VR is more developed and refined with supporting hardware. I have tried VR at a demo last fall and I could really notice the dead spaces between pixels, to me it was like looking outside through the sliding screen door as a kid. And I could tell resolution made distant things a little blurry. My main frustration, currently, is with spotting and iff, which from what I have read are still issues with VR, but can be helped with bigger higher res monitor.

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

What do you guys think 27" or 34"?

For a 2560x1440 monitor (16:9 aspect ratio) I would go for 27". Perfect pixel density for desktop usage.

If it's an 21:9 3440x1440, then a 34" (diagonal) has about the same pixel density.

I would avoid curved displays. It's more of a gimmick.

For a 2560x1440 monitor (16:9 aspect ratio) I would go for 27". Perfect pixel density for desktop usage.

If it's an 21:9 3440x1440, then a 34" (diagonal) has about the same pixel density.

For tv's yes. And fhats why they stopped making them, but with the ultrawides the curve serve the purpose of aligning the outer edges of your panel with your eyes so it allows you to sit closer without having reduced image quality in the edges.

The same reason why you would set the side screens of a trippel setup at inwards angle instead of flat with a wall.

Of course the value in this varies with panel types and features.

But there isn't any reason to avoid curved monitors.

Unlike in tv's you will always be sitting in the center, and very close. Also the curve found on the curved monitors is much smaller and less pronounced than what Samsung pushed on their tv line up.

As for 1070 vs 1070ti I found it a bit of an odd duck.

It was somewhere between the performance of a 1070 and a 1080.

When they first came they where almost as expensive as the 1080 so why anyone not just get that?

Seems the 1070ti has fallen a bit in price since then and can be found for not much more than 1070 it is a slightly more capable card but not massively, but like 10-15% or so.

So between the two I'd go with the 1070ti.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

So while I have been looking around for 27" monitors the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q (Newegg $699) keeps coming up as top recommendation on review sites. However I have been looking at the Samsung C27hg70 (Newegg $499). The main differences is the samsung sports QLED, curved screen, HDR, and freesync 2. The QLED and the curved screen sound nice. While I like the idea behind adaptive sync I have no experience of it working. It should be noted this uses Freesync 2, rather than g-sync. Review sites say that Freesync 2 is supposed to fix the problems with freesync 1. I have found older reviews stating that freesync had flickering problems in both IL2 and DCS but some of which may have been fixed with later patches. Anyone have a recent experience with freesync 1 or 2? Does it work in IL2 and DCS? I am trying to find a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor with nice color, open to suggestions.

Well the main problem with freesync is that it doesn't work at all using an Nvidia card even though that is the open standard.

There are ways to hack it to work. But that means passing the image through a secondary AMD gpu.

But I can't personally comment anymore on either since I have never used either of them.

For tv's yes. And fhats why they stopped making them, but with the ultrawides the curve serve the purpose of aligning the outer edges of your panel with your eyes so it allows you to sit closer without having reduced image quality in the edges.

This is correct. With a TV where you usually sit 3+ feet away from it, the curve does nothing. But for a monitor where you're usually 1.5 feet away from it or even closer, the curve makes a big difference. On a flat ultrawide, you feel that the corners are further away from you and that you're looking at it from an angle instead of head-on. On the curved ultrawide, this effect is significantly reduced, and the corners appear to be the same distance away from you as the center, and the corners appear only slightly angled or not at all.

Okay, what do you guys think about these two:

1. Samsung c27hg70 with a Radeon RX Vega 56

2. ASUS ROG Swift pg279q with a Nvidia 1070ti

Option 1 is cheaper as long as I don't have to move up to a vega 64. Mostly I like the samsung monitor better, even though I don't care for HDR, but I have usually liked the nvidia cards better than the ATI cards I have had.

I'd recommend option #2 even though I'm usually for minimizing costs.

I own the ASUS monitor. I usually play DCS on my big screen but the ASUS monitor is hands down the best general gaming monitor I've ever owned. Great for FPS games. Panning around in 166hz with TrackIR is very immersive too. You'll need to dial back setting to get that high a frame rate, but smooth as butter. Multiple settings for eye strain help for long gaming sessions at night too. Overall Gsync works very well for flight simming and gaming. I don't have any experience with Freesync to compare, but Gsync is definitely better than Vsync stutter and lag.

When you get the opportunity, hook your rig up to a big screen 4K and you'll never go back. You can get the cockpit up to 1:1 scale and still see sky in your peripheral vision. You can also spot target specks at long distance. I have to clean my screen before every session so I don't call a break into a bandit when it was only just a bug on my screen or some dust. Samsung still makes curved TVs, wish I would have spent the extra money now.

I have been using the same 22" monitor for the last 11 years so I really don't understand big monitors and what things are gimmicks and what matters.

Does freesync work well in IL2 and dcs? Really, hoping to hear peoples more recent experiences regarding freesync in DCS and IL2.

Will the curved screen of the samsung offer more immersion than the flat asus? At what size does curved monitor start mattering? Is a 27" 16:9 small enough that there is little difference between flat and curved?

For what it's worth, I upgraded from a 55" flat screen to the 65" curved.

My eyes 22' from screen. The peripheral imaging is actually better with the latter. I attribute that to the curve.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Its not really whether Gsync or Freesync work well with what.

They both do.

The real question is what GPU you want.

If you buy an Nvidia GPU you will not be able to use freesync, period.

If you go for an AMD gpu you will not be able to use Gsync, at all.

At this point in time I would not really recommend AMD for gaming, their current GPU's are signifcantly behind the performance of Nvidia and requires significantly more power for the same performance.

And either monitor will work just fine at a set refresh as well, using either syncing option is, optional.

i used to run a 32"curved 1920x1080 and recently went to a Acer XR382CQK 38”UltraWide 3840 x 1600 and it's a huge diff .....expensive but worth it ...looks amazing to me.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2