Question on a new build I am doing

Hey gang,

So the time has come now, my current X-79 and i7 4820k Ivy Bridge has served me quite well for almost 5 years now, but now I am ready for a complete new build from the ground up.

What I have so far:

Intel i9 9900k CPU on pre-order.

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra on pre-order.

EVGA 1000w Titanium fully modular Power Supply on order.

Will be ordering the new EVGA Z390 Dark Motherboard as soon as becomes available to order.

I will likely be going with another Corsair closed loop water cooler as the one I have on this build has done great all this time.

Now for purposes of this post, I would like to hear thoughts on SSD's. I have been a little out of the loop for a while on SSD technology.

What I would like, is a moderately sized SSD for my OS and apps, maybe around 500 Gb.

A large SSD for all my games. Probably a 1-2 Tb.

I will then get a large platter drive for all my documents, music, videos, etc.

So my two SSD's. I hear about m2, and m2 Nvme. I understand with my PCIe lanes on the Z390 Dark and only running one GPU, I am ok with installing two of those.

Should I get one m2 Nvme and one regular m2? Or two of the same, whichever between the two. Or even just one m2 and one SATA?

Really interested in hearing thoughts on these SSD options.

Thanks for any feedback, I am sure I will also be asking more questions as I get closer.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You dont need several SSD's, just get 1 big M2 NVMe to make it a clean build.

SAMSUNG 970 EVO 2TB is the one that comes to mind.

That will be a killer system. Have fun!

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

You dont need several SSD's, just get 1 big M2 NVMe to make it a clean build.

SAMSUNG 970 EVO 2TB is the one that comes to mind.

That will be a killer system. Have fun!

One big one is certainly a thought, thanks!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It makes sense in the meaning that you "JUST" have enough PCIe lanes for 1 NVMe drive, a second one would run on top of the same lanes and you could never use them both at full speed.

If you had enough lanes and a board that had them all directly connected to the CPU, 2 or even more could make sense, depending on how you need to distribute I/O load. Usually, you take 1 drive for OS and 1 drive for your Apps and 1 drive for your data. That would be best, and clean to please Pilotasso, if you take a nice Threadripper board with 3 NVMe direct to CPU conns. :)

Also, your single NVMe will flood the bus alone, all other drives attached to Sata run on top of those lanes. Keep that in mind. It's the damn Intel PCH layout and the 16+4 PCIe lane layout ( GPU + PCH ). It just sux with modern super fast drives and 10Gbit emerging. That wont work with Intel's current layout.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It makes sense in the meaning that you "JUST" have enough PCIe lanes for 1 NVMe drive, a second one would run on top of the same lanes and you could never use them both at full speed.

If you had enough lanes and a board that had them all directly connected to the CPU, 2 or even more could make sense, depending on how you need to distribute I/O load. Usually, you take 1 drive for OS and 1 drive for your Apps and 1 drive for your data. That would be best, and clean to please Pilotasso, if you take a nice Threadripper board with 3 NVMe direct to CPU conns. :)

Also, your single NVMe will flood the bus alone, all other drives attached to Sata run on top of those lanes. Keep that in mind. It's the damn Intel PCH layout and the 16+4 PCIe lane layout ( GPU + PCH ). It just sux with modern super fast drives and 10Gbit emerging. That wont work with Intel's current layout.

Thanks for the info!

Maybe getting just one large m2 Nvme would be the better option for me.

However I understood from another forum that running a single GPU I would be OK with two of them?

I have always liked having two SSD's, one for Windows and Apps and one for all my games. Maybe I should also consider just the one m2 Nvme for Windows and Apps and a SATA SSD for games?

Don B

Thanks for the info!

Maybe getting just one large m2 Nvme would be the better option for me.

However I understood from another forum that running a single GPU I would be OK with two of them?

I have always liked having two SSD's, one for Windows and Apps and one for all my games. Maybe I should also consider just the one m2 Nvme for Windows and Apps and a SATA SSD for games?

That's the way I went dburne

Windows 10 on the M.2 Nvme 500 GB

Apps on 500GB SSD X 2

No mechanical drives or even a disk drive as windows was on a usb stick.

Nice and clean for good airflow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164049&stc=1&d=1497100515

The 2 X SSD attached at the rear of the case nicely hidden.

You can see one of the choices of a large 8 drive stack in the pic below, very configurable case.

6354_fractal%20design%20definer5%20blackout%20-%20externals.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

That's the way I went dburne

Windows 10 on the M.2 Nvme 500 GB

Apps on 500GB SSD X 2

No mechanical drives or even a disk drive as windows was on a usb stick.

Nice and clean for good airflow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164049&stc=1&d=1497100515

The 2 X SSD attached at the rear of the case nicely hidden.

You can see one of the choices of a large 8 drive stack in the pic below, very configurable case.

6354_fractal%20design%20definer5%20blackout%20-%20externals.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I am even considering a m2 Nvme SSD for my OS and apps, and just a large SATA SSD for my games.

What is a x2 SSD? Man all this new SSD technology has me somewhat confused lol.

I am seriously considering the EVGA DG 87 or 86 case but not completely decided yet.

Don B

Thanks for the info.

I am even considering a m2 Nvme SSD for my OS and apps, and just a large SATA SSD for my games.

What is a x2 SSD? Man all this new SSD technology has me somewhat confused lol.

I am seriously considering the EVGA DG 87 or 86 case but not completely decided yet.

I think it's talking about having two SSDs.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I think it's talking about having two SSDs.

Ah ok gotcha thanks!

Don B

Ok think I have made a decision.

512 TB m2 Nvme for OS and apps ( and maybe some games), and 1TB Samsung Evo SATA SSD for most of my games, like DCS and others.

Maybe this will give DCS a little breathing room lol.

And I will get one large platter drive for things like docs, music, videos, data storage etc.

By doing it this way, the only thing that will get disabled is the U2 slot in the upcoming EVGA Z390 Dark MB.

Don B

Ok so went with the following for my drives:

1 ea Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme (for my Windows, apps, and some games).

1 ea Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD (games).

Will also add a platter drive for docs, music, vids, etc.

Open for any good case recommendations? I will likely be running a closed loop water cooler on the 9900k like the Corsair. Prefer full tower for the room.

Don B

Don,

*IF* you have the room, go with something like Corsair Obsidian 900D

I have to AIO (one for GPU, one for the CPU) and *still* have plenty of room left over.

It's the only PC that I've built where I didn't end up with a little nick here and there. There's just so much room for everything.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Don,

*IF* you have the room, go with something like Corsair Obsidian 900D

I have to AIO (one for GPU, one for the CPU) and *still* have plenty of room left over.

It's the only PC that I've built where I didn't end up with a little nick here and there. There's just so much room for everything.

Thanks much, I will certainly check it out!.

Don B

I'm in a similar setup, I went with:

MSI Z390 Godlike

1x 970 pro 1tb

2080ti FE

I think 1tb is all you need (at the moment).

When you need more space in the future, the price for an SSD will be lower than it is today, and you'll be able to get more/better storage.

The big advancement in storage in the next few years will be Optane DIMMs that have an even faster connection to the CPU. Once Optane gets quantity for DIMMs in the 1-2tb range, you won't even need M.2 anymore.

By then, there'll be even faster GPUs and CPUs.

You've got a great system put together, it should last you 5+ years easy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm in a similar setup, I went with:

MSI Z390 Godlike

1x 970 pro 1tb

2080ti FE

I think 1tb is all you need (at the moment).

When you need more space in the future, the price for an SSD will be lower than it is today, and you'll be able to get more/better storage.

The big advancement in storage in the next few years will be Optane DIMMs that have an even faster connection to the CPU. Once Optane gets quantity for DIMMs in the 1-2tb range, you won't even need M.2 anymore.

By then, there'll be even faster GPUs and CPUs.

You've got a great system put together, it should last you 5+ years easy.

Thanks, that is certainly what I am hoping for!

My current rig has been great and rock solid, if this new one lasts as good I will be very pleased.

Don B

Just another take on multiple NVME drives - Yes, CPU only has 16+4 PCI-E lanes but the z370 and z390 chipset have 24 pci-e lanes via the PCH that share the +4 to the CPU.

*editing in some demystification about NVME drives and GPU pci-e lane bandwidth* Only if you're using one of your PCI-E slots on your mobo for NVME drives do you have to worry about GPU bandwidth.. The 16 pci-e lanes on the CPU are for your pci express slots, which is why 2 pci-e cards = x8+8x and 3 = x8+x4+x4. All of your sata and m2 form factor drives will use the motherboard's PCH that compete for the other 4 pci-e lanes on your cpu. Unlikely to hamper your gaming in any way shape or form.

The only time you'd really run into a bottleneck with two m2 nvme drives is if you're transfering large amounts of data to or from both drives at once i.e. - it's probably a non issue.

That being said - changing from a 2.5" kingston to a 970 evo for a boot drive wasn't much of an improvement for me personally. Using a sata III ssd for boot and a larger nvme drive for gaming/data transfer is a completely viable setup that still offers fast boot times and snappy response from the OS. Not that nvme will do much for gaming over a sata III ssd. Eventually I plan to throw a 500gb 970 evo in my other M2 slot for a dedicated simming drive, but I'm not thinking there's going to be that big a difference in loading times compared to my current 480GB sata III sim drive.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Yeah as mentioned I will put Windows and Apps on the m.2 Nvme , and since it is 1TB probably some games - may throw DCS on there not sure.

Rest of games on the 1TB SATA SSD.

Hopefully will have plenty of room to grow, as will have a platter drive for docs, video, etc.

Don B

Seems to be the general consensus when you start asking google about nvme vs sata III for gaming that you won't see much benefit from NVME drives over an SSD. But either will likely keep you from running newer games on an HDD not aided by intel optane ever again.

Likely very different for production/rendering/editing workloads. But for the gamer my old kingston 240gb SSD I was using as a boot drive benched slow as crap, no where near the 500MB/s reads that even my cheap PNY 480GB ssd's are capable of. Yet, that kingston already booted to windows within seconds of the logo/bios screen, sometimes hitting reboot, looking away and being back to windows before I thought to reach for f2 or del to enter bios. File explorer and other apps from that kingston were noticably more responsive than the HDD I was using prior to that.

In my head MAYBE my system is a smidgeon more responsive witihin windows but if so it's an increment so small I can't be certain its not just placebo after making the 970 evo my boot drive.

The 250gb 970 evo I got when they first came out for like $120 total after tax so I'm not particularly unhappy about it. I'd say it takes up less space in my case, but, my 2.5" mounts are very well hidden out of the way of airflow and stay pretty cool on the other side of my motherboard.

970 evos up to 500GB pricetags aren't that horrible tho imo as low as $150usd atm, hence why I'm still planning to buy another, and may even decide to use it for audio/video production, but if you shop around over time you'll likely find decent 2.5" ssd's for half the price if you aren't concerned about the space they take up.

Some of the newer boards (z390 i think) I've browsed on websites seem to have 3 m2 slots, altho the 3rd looks like a smaller form factor maybe for optane I'm unsure, but at least on my z370 board, with one NVME drive you can have 7 total drives in your system, 1 NVMEand 6 sata III ports, or with two NVME drives you can have 6 total drives, 4 sata III and 2 NVME, disabling 2 sata III ports to allow for the bandwidth of the second nvme at pci-e x4. Factoring in that 4-8TB HDD's are more and more affordable, as well as 2.5" SSD's, you can end up with a plethora of storage configurations to suit your needs with that amount of connectivity imo.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Hey gang,

What I have so far:

Intel i9 9900k CPU on pre-order.

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra on pre-order.

EVGA 1000w Titanium fully modular Power Supply on order.

Will be ordering the new EVGA Z390 Dark Motherboard as soon as becomes available to order.

I will likely be going with another Corsair closed loop water cooler as the one I have on this build has done great all this time.

Now for purposes of this post, I would like to hear thoughts on SSD's. I have been a little out of the loop for a while on SSD technology.

What I would like, is a moderately sized SSD for my OS and apps, maybe around 500 Gb.

A large SSD for all my games. Probably a 1-2 Tb.

I will then get a large platter drive for all my documents, music, videos, etc.

Thanks for any feedback, I am sure I will also be asking more questions as I get closer.

Greetings dburne,

Since you're spending that kind of bread, I'd just get two drives:

1) a big (1-2 GB) M.2 NVMe drive for DCS, and any other really demanding games (usually only DCS)

2) a really big (2GB, +) SATA SSD for Windows and everything else.

Keep in mind, that the uber-expensive computer you're talking about isn't really going to give you better performance in DCS World compared to the machine you're already using. You already have a 4.5GHz CPU, 16GB of memory, and a GTX 1080 Ti. That's about it. There isn't much else you can blow money on that's going to improve your framerates in DCS--that i9 won't do it, a GTX 2080 Ti may help alittle, but it's expensive and DCS doesn't use hardware-based ray tracing, so the "expensive" part of the card will go un-used, and using an M.2 NVMe drive will only reduce load times slightly (DCS 2.5.x seems to have issues with mission load times, even on uber-fast drives.)

Have fun spending bread, but DCS World just doesn't make much use of big-$$$ uber-PCs with 32 cores, 64 threads and all sorts of fancy doodads. It probably never will. The best thing you can get for your computer to run DCS is a really great graphics card, and you already have that.

As long as you have a CPU with a high clock rate (4.5GHz is great), pouring cash into a hefty graphics card will give a more noticable improvement than ultra-expensive CPUs, mobos etc. You can spend much less cash and get equal performance by buying an i5-8600K processor, 32GB of decent DDR4, and a GTX 1080Ti--which you already own :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Oh I am fully aware I am not going to see huge gains, especially as I am running VR. But I will certainly take what I can get.

I will gain some from the extra half GB or so of CPU speed. I will also gain a little from the faster DDR 4 ram I will have. ( VR likes faster memory).

I do also expect at least a little gain from the new GPU, the extra Cuda Cores will not hurt and faster memory there also. I am pretty excited with the new Virtual Link port on the new 2080's also. I have already seen an adapter to be able to use them to plug a VR headset into.

But yeah I am not going into this expecting some massive improvement at all. But I should have another solid pretty darn current system that should last me another 5 years or so as this one has, while giving me at least some improvement in VR. And who knows, maybe during those 5 years the game devs might make some improvements to take better advantage of the newer technology especially for VR.

Don B

I will move to your neighbourhood to buy your used stuff. I'll pay the beers :drunk:Hic!

:drunk:

Don B

Im thinking of ditching my 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs for one large nvme hard disk. Think of the power saving potential there...

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins