Maps we'd love to see

fargo007

1. Vietnam -- 660nm x 600nm or so, to cover most of Vietnam, Laos and Thailand. c. 1968

2. Philippine Sea -- from the Marianas Islands (Guam, Saipan) to about 800nm to the west, to include Yap, Ulithi and Truk islands to the south. Huge area of open Pacific Ocean for the ultimate WWII carrier battle in June 1944 that never really developed, but became the famed "Marianas Turkey Shoot". Imperial Japan lost about 315 aircraft in one day, June 19th, to the US Navy's loss of 20. About 130-deg East to 155-deg East longitude, and 5-deg North to about 20-deg North latitude. About 1500nm x 900nm.

3. Midway Islands open ocean battle area for the legendary Battle of Midway of June 1942. Maybe about 600nm x 500nm to include the Midway Islands...practically nothing but ocean and a few moving specks called aircraft carriers.

--These open ocean areas should be about $7 and be quick and easy to produce...so put them out already. The real deal would be making the aircraft and the ships. Yorktown-class and Essex-class carriers, Fletcher-class destroyers and Cleveland-class cruisers, to start. And a couple classes of Imperial Japanese carriers, cruisers and destroyers. About 9 models of WWII USN and IJN carrier planes. Place a group of ships in a general area of ocean at random...such as within 100nm of a lat/lon. Then the attack force of planes know nothing but say, "fly heading 250 for 300 NM and then just search." Of course, we can place modern ships in these vast open areas, too...and even potentially conduct submarine and anti-submarine action. Lots of searching. Lots of maximum range flights. Boring? Sure. But you have to keep your eyes open, and watch the radar scope if you have one. Blue water ops. A real need for in-flight refueling and carrier landing skills for the modern jets. Throw in something new...realistic tropical weather systems and storms, and the possibility to fly over or around them. Add 3D modeled towering cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds...giant clouds that could stretch from 2000 feet to 50,000 feet MSL!

4. Korean Peninsula map, c.1951.

Edited by Andrew8604
correct and refine descriptions

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to see DCS take the old Microprose B-17 game and convert it.

The Western Front Map in that old game covered pretty much everything that was possible to fly during WW2.

I'd also like to see the assets increased to include all the aircraft ever flown in the Western Front, so that we could build a historically accurate re-creation of the air war.

Thanks for reading.

Procedural planet + detailed custom maps

I would love to see nothing more than the whole world!

This is of course not possible at the level of detail we have for the current maps. But what might be doable is a hybrid approach of highly detailed maps that we can buy (like we have now) and a procedural generated "rest of the world" (like outerra). The procedural world could use available satellite images and hight data sets, OSM-Data and so on to create a reasonable enviroment. This way it would be possible to connect detailed maps like Caucasus, Syria and the Straight of Homuz. By using procedural refined higth maps the download size of the whole planet could be reduced dramatically (e.g. outerra full planet data set is ~100). The size could be reduced further if only required parts of planet are downloaded, e.g 100x100km parts.

mapping.jpg

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Flanker driver since 1996

I’m amazed by the sugestions some people come up with. Afghanistan...? The Balkans?!?

This is ofc the correct list of what’s most important. :-D

In order:

1. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia.

One of the most epic air wars in history. Just the 10 years of US involvement in the 60’s and 70’s was intense non-stop action of both strategic campaigns and battlefield support. Thousands of shot down planes and helicopters on both sides.

2. Israel (and the Mirage III)

Ever heard of the six-day war of 1967 and the Yom Kipur war (October war of 1973)? The Suez crisis. Libanon war...?

3. Cold war central Europe.

Epic possibilities!

Southern Iraq/northern Persian Gulf = Iran/Iraq War, Desert Storm, Southern Watch, Desert Fox, Iraqi Freedom, fictional against Iran.

Balkans/Kosovo/parts of Italy = 1990s NATO enforcement/Allied Force.

Libya/Mediterranean = El Dorado Canyon, Odyssey Dawn, Anti-Isis, Cold War gone hot in the Med.

Egypt and Israel.

Taiwan with parts of Chinese shore line.

Baltic states and neighboring countries/Baltic Sea.

Pakistan/india/Indian Ocean.

As long as there's ocean so one have the option to use the carrier.

For me I have a sweet spot for cold war maps as well as for maps that have a naval focus but still with enough landmass for meaningful amphibious assaults and ground conflict.

I did make a pretty comprehensive list (well for me anyway) a while back which can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3389660&postcount=12

I'll update the .zip file as the Germany map doesn't match with the image).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Vietnam I think is a must, with the volume of appropriate aircraft we have and are going to have. It'd also be interesting, given the large time-frame of the Vietnam war, what options could be implemented to change a map depending on the time period.

I'd just love to see more fitting maps and assets in general for the aircraft we currently have, the aircraft are great alone for the most part but we need a world to immerse, a world beyond the cockpit.

• 2 weeks later...
Since we're "What If-ing"

I'd like to see Nevada expanded to include Edwards, Fallon, El Centro, Lemoore...

x2. Just a triangle between North Island, 29 Palms and MCAS Yuma would be more than enough to tickle my fancy, if DCS ever decided to do another training area.

Vietnam and North Africa would be cool additions. Maybe Somalia too.

i7 9700k @ 4.9 GHz | Asus Z390-A | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | Oculus Rift + Touch | TM HOTAS Warthog

• 1 year later...

imho, more or less this is what should be added asap to dcs. REALLY hot area.

2031417554_OperaSnapshot_2020-01-20_141053_www.google_com.png.37c347e4ff0255c1c5c3b0d8506a5fb9.png

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting concept

imho, more or less this is what should be added asap to dcs. REALLY hot area.

While still to large to fit within DCS boundaries, portion of this area is already in works by a third party.

I personally would love to see somewhere along Russia - China - North Korea border, with some Sea of Japan included ...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

While still to large to fit within DCS boundaries, portion of this area is already in works by a third party.

I personally would love to see somewhere along Russia - China - North Korea border, with some Sea of Japan included ...

link to read more about this?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]