GPU usage randomly drops to zero

Nightstorm

Hi folks,

If you Google the title of this thread you'll find many posts of others reporting similar issues dating back to 2015 or perhaps beyond. I've been troubleshooting this issue for months without success. I'm an IT professional by trade with some 25 years of experience and I can't figure out what the cause of this is.

I've read possible causes being anything from drivers to power supplies to the moon beams.

I can list a whole bunch of things it isn't in my case. I have a 1500 Watt power supply, I'm running 2 Titan X Pascal 12GB cards, only one of which drives DCS as SLI isn't really supported. SLI enabled/disabled doesn't change anything related to the problem.

I've tried different drivers, several, different SSD drives, minimizing the software running, reloading Windows and the list goes on. Some times, I can fly for 40 minutes and have hardly any issues at all. Other times the game will freeze maybe two dozen times. When this happens, in sim, everything literally stops for 1-2 seconds and then "catches" up really quick. This can be very frustrating and have undesirable results when it happens at a critical time like when you're doing a case 1 recovery.

It's not a CPU bottleneck, as CPU usage has never been all the way to 100% for me. Running a 5960x 8 core i7 @ 3GHz, I know that's a few years behind now but I'm running DCS on three screens (non SLI surround) at 7680x1440 on three G-Sync ASUS Rog displays and averaging at least 30 FPS. Typically very playable. CPU temps are norm, GPU temps are norm.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've attached a screen cap of my last session recorded with MSI Afterburner.

Thanks!

DCS.thumb.png.cf0d89333df98e7872909b1e4c5696f5.png

For this game so far, not more cpu cores, prefer higher frequency on smaller number of cores.

How much do you have system ram and amount of swap file?

- In your case, try in the bios to turn off HT.

- Manually overclock above the default value of 3.5 GHz, the most number of cores.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Hi, thanks for the reply. 64GB of RAM and the swap file is system managed at 9GB.

I don't think memory or swap file are an issue, and overclocking my CPU doesn't seem like it would affect the GPU drops I've seen. My CPU is never hitting 100% utilization with DCS so that would suggest it's not a CPU bottle neck.

I did get some improvement by changing a setting in the NVIDIA control panel, I set the SLI render mode for DCS to single GPU. It didn't completely eliminate the drop outs on the GPU but it reduced them significantly. At least the last four sessions were improved.

I also ran a GPU stress test with MSI Kombuster and didn't see any drops. In my case, it appears to be specific to DCS. I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers but the issue has been present in every one I've tried.

Perhaps check that one of the cores isn't hitting 100% DCS only uses a few threads if you look at even Task Manager you'll see one real and one virtual core peddling real hard and the others mostly not doing too much.

I have a 5930 6 core i7 @ 4.7Ghz and 1080Ti @ 1.97Ghz 64GB and SSD etc and still according to Task Manger DCS uses maybe 12 to 14% CPU total usage (but 1 core is at 99.x% usage) seeing that you have a 3GHz clock I'm pretty sure you will have bottle neck on that single core doing most of the work.

To improve VR usage I usually dial down the settings so that the CPU sits at around 12 to 14% (aka almost 100% for the one core doing all the bloody work,.. :music_whistling:) and the GPU averages around 70%. I find with some head room like that drop frames are not usually a problem however I find I get drop frames as soon as GPU hits the wall at 100%

Multi player on the other hand adds more variables to the equation. ;)

I say Task Manager as MSI after burner tends to give the impression that there is a lot of multitasking going on where as I do not believe that to be the case under DCS.

YMMV

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

@petsild

I've only been playing in single player so far, really got into DCS with the release of the F18, so it's only been about three months. I'm using 3x 1440 displays but that's pretty demanding as the number of pixels is actually 1.33 x a single 4k display about 11 megapixels.

@FragBum and Rushx, you know I've monitored the various cores but I can't say that I'm certain none of them are being maxed out. I have not tried the affinity adjust. I will give it a shot. Thank you for that video link as while mine isn't currently happening as frequent as it was in the video, the results look similar exept that my FPS usually drop to near 0 for a second or so when it happens.

So, the theory is that the CPU bottle necks and can't feed the GPU any data so the GPU starves for 1-3 seconds depending on how severe it is and you get a prop in rendering.

I will test it out. Thanks again for the replies.

And while on the subject, is anyone aware of a way to set the process afinity so that DCS.exe always uses that afinity? I'm guessing no, as the PID would likely be different each and every time.

*nevermind* found this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=118535&highlight=CPU+AFFINITY and will try it.

Edited by Nightstorm

The autoexec.cfg didn't appear to have any affect, perhaps it doesn't work on 2.5.3. I obtained the Process Lasso software and configured that. I set the affinity on DSC.exe to all of the primary cores 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14 in my case with high priority, high I/O and memory priority ect.

The first time I ran a mission after that I only had one drop at the very end for a split second. I just finished a second mission and it dropped twice in about 40 minutes of play. It does seem to be running a lot better and aside from the couple of momentary drops it's running smoothly.

Another thing I noticed, before it would drop all the way to 0 GPU usage, now it drops to 1%, not that that makes much difference but it was a change in behavior.

Considering the other day it was dropping out for up to 3 seconds at a time and doing it about every other minute on average, this is night and day difference. It was hardly playable when it was dropping like that. I can also see now that certain CPU cores do indeed get maxed out from time to time. With a 3.5GHz boost clock that simply just may be as good as it's going to get for now. Thank you all for the advice.

Edited by Nightstorm

Keen to see what you find cheers.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well, after some more testing I've found that the issue is still present. It still seems completely random and I can't identify a pattern, cause or any contributing factor for sure.

What I do know is, that if I limit DCS.exe to only two cores, say 6 and 7 or the last two cores on my 8 core CPU, my FPS drops in half. If I limit DCS to four or more cores my FPS is normal again. So the idea or belief that DCS ONLY uses one or two cores seems unlikely to me. So I've eliminated hyperthreading as DCS is only using the primary cores.

When a drop occurs, I can go back and look at the logs, none of the CPU cores are at 100% and overall CPU usage is often pretty low at the time of the drop. And in game, it again seems completely random. I can look over my shoulder at my wingman, it'll hitch up for a couple of seconds, and I can then look all around with TrackIR and back at my wingman and its normal. I can fly over heavily forested areas or cities with no issue, and then I'll get a hitch for no apparent reason at another moment. Other times I can fly for minutes at a time and it's normal.

Last sortie was about 30 min long and it hitched 9 times. Averages out to be almost once every 3 minutes but it isn't that regular. It'll hitch...go normal for a couple of seconds, hitch again and then be normal for seven or eight minutes before the next hitch. Again, no pattern though, no like every ten min or every five or anything.

I've uninstalled AV, looked for any background processes ect. Running low on ideas.

Last thing I've tried is use park control software to turn off CPU core parking and downclock. I don't think that was happening, but now it won't be possible. I'll test more and see if that has any affect.

1. To rule this one out too, make a fixed 32GB swapfile, just to be sure it's not swapping...fr whatever reason with 64 gigs.

2. use ProcessLasso by bitsum.com to work the cores. It's that much simpler than the Bios fumbling. It's ad-hoc too, adjust while you fly.

Your CPU is nice, for multimedia, for DCS you need to crank the hell out of it with overclocking it to some 4.2+GHz. This is your toughest part.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yea I can set a static swap file, according to ProcessLasso (That's what I started using the other day) memory load isn't that high, I think I saw 16GB max used or so. Of course it won't hurt anything to try it.

Yea, the CPU is a couple of years old now. It's only a 5960x, $1k chip at the time but CPU's have gotten a lot more verbose since then. I'd love to build a new i9 based system but can't afford that at the moment. My CPU is also air cooled and previous attempts to OC much past stock and it won't POST. If the CPU is my main limiting factor here, there might not be much I can do for now.

Thank you!

Hi folks,

If you Google the title of this thread you'll find many posts of others reporting similar issues dating back to 2015 or perhaps beyond. I've been troubleshooting this issue for months without success. I'm an IT professional by trade with some 25 years of experience and I can't figure out what the cause of this is.

I've read possible causes being anything from drivers to power supplies to the moon beams.

I can list a whole bunch of things it isn't in my case. I have a 1500 Watt power supply, I'm running 2 Titan X Pascal 12GB cards, only one of which drives DCS as SLI isn't really supported. SLI enabled/disabled doesn't change anything related to the problem.

I've tried different drivers, several, different SSD drives, minimizing the software running, reloading Windows and the list goes on. Some times, I can fly for 40 minutes and have hardly any issues at all. Other times the game will freeze maybe two dozen times. When this happens, in sim, everything literally stops for 1-2 seconds and then "catches" up really quick. This can be very frustrating and have undesirable results when it happens at a critical time like when you're doing a case 1 recovery.

It's not a CPU bottleneck, as CPU usage has never been all the way to 100% for me. Running a 5960x 8 core i7 @ 3GHz, I know that's a few years behind now but I'm running DCS on three screens (non SLI surround) at 7680x1440 on three G-Sync ASUS Rog displays and averaging at least 30 FPS. Typically very playable. CPU temps are norm, GPU temps are norm.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've attached a screen cap of my last session recorded with MSI Afterburner.

Thanks!

What OS version and built are you running?

Have you tried reinstalling OS and DCS?

Have you tried running only 1 gpu at tme by phisically re-seating the GPU from the motherboard slot??

What motherboard you have? What's your PCIE- lane speed?? as you're running 2 titans you have to be sure that your motherboard support running pci-express at same speed i.e. 8x or 4x.

Are you running any USB audio devices??

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Hi Goa,

Windows 10 x64 1809, latest version. Problem was present on 1803 as well.

New OS installed early October and I just reinstalled a new copy of DCS this weekend. No change.

I have not tried pulling my GPU physically out of the computer. I have tried SLI disabled, enable, surround, enable force single GPU and so on.

ASUS Rampage V extreme, PCIE is 16x for both cards at 16x

I recently added a USB microphone for using Viacomm, but the issue existed before that.

Yes but! :music_whistling:

I'm no expert however this is what I get, core 5 and it's virtual core, core 11 (zero origin) are near saturated I can tweak settings to alter the total usage slightly but they currently kinda work for all maps.(And that's another story.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=196110&stc=1&d=1539734209

What I find is if core 5/11 hit the wall most everything stops until it sorts itself out same as if the GPU 3D hits 100% I get drop frames aka stuttering in VR

The periodic nature seems odd could it be core temperature?

BTW I just love rendering off RAWS to JPG's (10 to 20MB) files where all cores hit 100% till the job queue is done. :D

CPU_Use_DCSJPG.thumb.JPG.7b8a0fe50d43a3b574c4137c2e8f1d56.JPG

Hi Goa,

Windows 10 x64 1809, latest version. Problem was present on 1803 as well.

New OS installed early October and I just reinstalled a new copy of DCS this weekend. No change.

I have not tried pulling my GPU physically out of the computer. I have tried SLI disabled, enable, surround, enable force single GPU and so on.

ASUS Rampage V extreme, PCIE is 16x for both cards at 16x

I recently added a USB microphone for using Viacomm, but the issue existed before that.

are you sure pcie is running at 16x with 2 GPU???Even the most expensive motherboard usually cannont run 2 gpu's at max speed, usually it should run at 8x or worse 4x..

by the way you could try changing the GPU to run from IRQ to MSI mode

take a read here, the process is quite simple and fast

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3631069#post3631069

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Both cards show the same info I have high lighted there. I just implemented the MSI mode you suggested, I presume that's why it says IRQ Not used now.

I will test things out and see if that makes a difference. My GPU's were not conflicting with anything but they were using standard IRQ's.

Thanks for the suggestion!

*Update* Well I set up Afterburner to monitor all of the CPU cores vs overall usage and cleared its history after starting up DCS. It is most certainly pegging the various cores at 100% at different times. Some seem to line up with the hitches and others don't. I also noted that the full 32GB fixed page file was fully utilized even though only about 16GB of RAM was out of the 64GB.

Changing to MSI mode didn't seem to have an affect on the hitching but oddly things seemed "smoother" overall. I even thing I got a small FPS boost, but I'm not sure. Nothing significant 2-3FPS. So if the CPU is the bottleneck, again I'm back to, this may be as good as it gets with this hardware.

I was considering upgrading to a 2080Ti and replacing the Titan's. If the CPU is the issue, I don't know how much performance gain I'll see. I'd hope it would still give me more FPS above where it's at now. DCS is only using one GPU anyway, and for games that I do run in surround mode, a single 2080Ti should be as good or better than a pair of Titan Pascals.

Annotation.png.6898232a32ddb6ebd81b26e1f881839f.png

Edited by Nightstorm

Both cards show the same info I have high lighted there. I just implemented the MSI mode you suggested, I presume that's why it says IRQ Not used now.

I will test things out and see if that makes a difference. My GPU's were not conflicting with anything but they were using standard IRQ's.

Thanks for the suggestion!

*Update* Well I set up Afterburner to monitor all of the CPU cores vs overall usage and cleared its history after starting up DCS. It is most certainly pegging the various cores at 100% at different times. Some seem to line up with the hitches and others don't. I also noted that the full 32GB fixed page file was fully utilized even though only about 16GB of RAM was out of the 64GB.

Changing to MSI mode didn't seem to have an affect on the hitching but oddly things seemed "smoother" overall. I even thing I got a small FPS boost, but I'm not sure. Nothing significant 2-3FPS. So if the CPU is the bottleneck, again I'm back to, this may be as good as it gets with this hardware.

I was considering upgrading to a 2080Ti and replacing the Titan's. If the CPU is the issue, I don't know how much performance gain I'll see. I'd hope it would still give me more FPS above where it's at now. DCS is only using one GPU anyway, and for games that I do run in surround mode, a single 2080Ti should be as good or better than a pair of Titan Pascals.

yo have to use GpuZ to figure out the speed of pci-express, download it , run it and click on the "?"

see here http://img.techpowerup.org/140811/gpuz.png

anyway you should also check your bios settings and windows settings.

1st check if windows power plant is set to "balanceed" or max performance, be sure all energy settings are disabled in bios, speedte, speedshift, ETC

take a read here

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Disable_CPU_Power_Saving_Management_in_BIOS

Edited by Goa

are you sure pcie is running at 16x with 2 GPU???Even the most expensive motherboard usually cannont run 2 gpu's at max speed, usually it should run at 8x or worse 4x..

He should be ok with a Rampage V Extreme and 5960x (40 lane PCI). That motherboard will run 4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16, x16/x16, x16/x8/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x8 mode with 40-LANE CPU. However, I would suggest Nightstorm tries to modify his nvidia profile to allow SLI to work properly (probably won't fix the "hitches" but will allow the use of both gpu's)

Edited by prccowboy

@prccowboy

Hello and thanks for your reply. I did attempt using your method a while back and had horrible flickering of the clouds and such.

Is there a working method now that may be of benefit?

I have SLI enabled but the DCS profile is currently default so SLI isn't properly implemented for DCS. In addition, I'm running three 1440p displays off of the first card but not in surround. So the primary display (left most) supposedly gets 3d acceleration when SLI is in use but the other displays may not. I'm not certain if it would useful in this scenario.

Thoughts?

*Update* I did get SLI working just as before and no flickering clouds, as you mentioned one of the updates fixed that. Like you, both of my GPU's were running under 50%. I tried dropping the preload that had no affect and in fact, I ended up losing about 10 FPS with SLI enabled. I set it back to single GPU only and got my 10 FPS back and GPU went back to 100%. In your config are you using VR or a single monitor? It's odd that SLI would have a negative benefit, though I've seen that before in some things that don't scale well. I don't know.

Edited by Nightstorm

*Update* I did get SLI working just as before and no flickering clouds, as you mentioned one of the updates fixed that. Like you, both of my GPU's were running under 50%.

I usually have around 97% utilization on both GPU's, BUT I run single monitor currently.

I'm starting to think that the multi-monitor setup with SLI is causing some folks performance drops, but since I don't run multi-monitor anymore I can't experiment to find a solution (and update my SLI guide)

Tip..: im not sure this will solve your problem but you can try to update your graphic cards firmware.

I know from experience that after i did this my self, then i gained more than 15fps in VR and my friends who also did this also gained more fps in general and the game felt more "fluent".

Im not sure it will help you, but try this firmware update from nvidia.

TIp2..: turn off your antivirus and DO NOT do anything on your computer while you update.

Tip3..: one friend reported he afterwards had a black screen.. But he solved this problem with after he updated to turn off the power to his computer and wait 1 minute, then everything worked again.

https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

Hi folks,

I know that's a few years behind now but I'm running DCS on three screens (non SLI surround) at 7680x1440 on three G-Sync ASUS Rog displays and averaging at least 30 FPS. Typically very playable. CPU temps are norm, GPU temps are norm.

@prccowboy

I have SLI enabled but the DCS profile is currently default so SLI isn't properly implemented for DCS. In addition, I'm running three 1440p displays off of the first card but not in surround.

Thoughts?

So, not trying to sound snooty here but can we or can we not disregard the fact that you have an sli setup and focus on the fact that one Titan XP is powering three 1440P monitors? Man that's a lot of pixels and DCS is demanding at much lower resolutions. Roughly 3 million more pixels than 4k.

Have you tried running on a single monitor and does the GPU usage still randomly drop @2560x1440 resolution? Nevermind that, Try a single monitor, disable MSAA if enabled and enable SSAA x1.5, as this should help the GPU take more of the workload as well as provide 4K resolution which is the target pascal has been borderline able to reach. Then adjust your other graphics settings from there. The 2080 Ti is being touted as "The first true 4k60 gpu" by the people buying them.

With one monitor at native resoultion with msaa off and ssaa 1.5x (4k resolution on a 2560x1440 screen), if your problems disappear you're choking out one of your Titan XP's VRAM with 3 high resolution displays.

If DCS runs acceptably @4k, I'd recommend selling the 1440p displays and using 3 1080P displays, or holding on to one 1440P display and maybe picking up a samsung Odyssey if you aren't prone to motion sickness. Unless you spend more time playing games that utilize sli than not.

If it were me? I'd probably sell two monitors, sell one Titan XP and invest that into a Vive Pro, or a Samsung Odyssey and a faster cpu/mobo/ram combo.

If you are still freezing up even at lower resolutions it's something else, hopefully not the easily overlooked power management setting in your DCS profile in NV control panel, but perhaps a CPU bottleneck or something else causing CPU spikes.

I hope I don't sound condescending. I don't mean to be. Linus Techtip's videos on 8k gaming shows some of the complications with too high of a resolution in modern games. We aren't there yet.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

@prccowboy It is possible the multi monitor is causing some performance in SLI. I also haven't tried other methods of SLI rendering, I just used the default, so Forcing AFR/AFR2 ect may change something. It did seem counter-intuitive, I expected to at least have the same performance, but both cards usage were ~40% and FPS was down ~33%. I'll experiment. Thank you for your guide as it does work with the current Open Beta, even if I didn't see a gain.

@delevero Thanks for the suggestion and I did look into that some time back when I came across the post about the firmware. Neither of my cards needed an update. So no luck there.

@Headwarp Thank you as well and I welcome all suggestions at this point. I have not tried to use a single display or run at 2560x1440. I would certainly expect a significant jump in FPS but I don't know if it would change anything else. For the sake of experimentation I'll give it a try. I do use my computer for working from home as well, and the three displays are invaluable in that capacity. Unfortunately I don't think I can give those up and I've grown accustomed to using all three in flight sims.

Yea running 3 1440p displays is a touch over 11 megapixels, or 1.33 x a single 4K display. I've paid close attention to the VRAM as that was one of my first suspicions too. The Titans have 12GB of GDDR5 and the highest utilization I've seen in DCS at max settings and 7680x1440 was around 9GB. Since I was considering going to an 11GB GDDR6 2080Ti I was concerned at reducing VRAM. Though it doesn't look like it's capping out there.