GPU usage randomly drops to zero

Nightstorm

Call me surprised if 9GB is all that resolution is using even over Caucasus. No sarcasm.

You say this has been going on for months. Was there a point this wasn't happening?

If single monitor and lower res doesn't help you out,

Running "DCS Repair" from the start menu should also repair the VC runtimes that are installed with DCS.

I also started using Process Lasso myself on Bitmaster's advice throughout these forums and DCS isn't the only executable I have set to always run in single threaded performance mode, which basically just sets CPU affinity to physical cores on the CPU without you having to go into task manager every time you run DCS.exe for the same result.

Also.. is DCS installed on an HDD or an SSD? My instinct says you are using an SSD and that it's not completely full so that shouldn't be the cause. But worth mentioning as I haven't seen a drive type (sorry if you've mentioned and sorry for basic questions, you sound like a guy who's probably done his research.)

I'm under the impression you're using windows 10, could also be worth seeing how it runs with a system managed page file.

Aside from running poolmon to make sure there aren't any memory leaks from drivers or background tasks that might have popped up with a windows update have you considered installing an AIO liquid CPU cooler and OC'ing the CPU?

3ghz is on the slow end these days, despite being fast for an 8 core processor at the time. quick google search found a forum thread where people reporting 1.15-1.2 Vcore getting them to 4.2ghz but would be pretty toasty on an air cooler, and single threaded performance is what would matter if a CPU limitation was the cause of your issue.

On the point of upgrading from Titan XP to 2080Ti, for that kind of money you could build a brand new i7 9th gen CPU and slap your current system's drives and GPU's into it. But it's probably worth seeing what kind of solutions you can come up with without throwing money at things. I.E. OC the CPU see how she goes if none of the above helps.

I'll shush now, and I wish you luck in resolving your issues, sorry if I've been no help but I do hope it's something you can resolve without much expense.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I really started using DCS in early July when the Hornet was released. In the beginning I was trying to optimize performance, I don't think I know of a time when it wasn't happening,

I recently reloaded DCS from scratch onto its own PCI Express Intel SSD, that did improve performance over another SSD it was on, but didn't impact the hitching. At first I ran just DCS on that SSD but have since moved BMS and Prepar3D over there too but its only about a third full.

I was using a system managed pagefile until two days ago. It was sitting at 9GB or so, I set a fixed one at 32GB, it didn't seem to change anything but it certainly was using all of the pagefile. So I left it.

I've considered doing a liquid system but have never tried it. My CPU is showing it's age, it may be a 5960x "Extreme Edition" but that was 3-4 years ago. I build the system summer of '15. The Titans are now two years old as well as they went in Oct '16.

The merits of a new 2080 vs a system upgrade are something I've been debating myself actually. If my issue is simply CPU bottleneck, would I get much of an increase going to a 2080Ti? I would think I'd see some increase in FPS just based on the faster memory and card but I don't know how much.

If I replace the board/cpu/RAM and keep my existing Titan's would that make more of a difference? It might. I have my eye on a Rampage VI, with an i9 7900X and DDR4 3800

Do yourself favour and pick up a threadripper 2950X. 16 cores instead of 10 and if you get the upgrade itch again in a couple of years you probably won't have to buy a new motherboard. I'm planning on replacing my Ryzen 1700 with Zen 3 when it lands in 2020.

Skylake X is over a year old now already and not great in terms of single core clock speeds.

Edited by howie87

I really started using DCS in early July when the Hornet was released. In the beginning I was trying to optimize performance, I don't think I know of a time when it wasn't happening,

I recently reloaded DCS from scratch onto its own PCI Express Intel SSD, that did improve performance over another SSD it was on, but didn't impact the hitching. At first I ran just DCS on that SSD but have since moved BMS and Prepar3D over there too but its only about a third full.

I was using a system managed pagefile until two days ago. It was sitting at 9GB or so, I set a fixed one at 32GB, it didn't seem to change anything but it certainly was using all of the pagefile. So I left it.

I've considered doing a liquid system but have never tried it. My CPU is showing it's age, it may be a 5960x "Extreme Edition" but that was 3-4 years ago. I build the system summer of '15. The Titans are now two years old as well as they went in Oct '16.

The merits of a new 2080 vs a system upgrade are something I've been debating myself actually. If my issue is simply CPU bottleneck, would I get much of an increase going to a 2080Ti? I would think I'd see some increase in FPS just based on the faster memory and card but I don't know how much.

If I replace the board/cpu/RAM and keep my existing Titan's would that make more of a difference? It might. I have my eye on a Rampage VI, with an i9 7900X and DDR4 3800

If there is a CPU bottleneck you generally wont see any improvement in FPS on a more powerful GPU at all. In my experiences of running into bottlenecks, it's either one core of the CPU running at 99% constantly (cpu limited), or my GPU being at 98-99% constantly (gpu limited, preferable for getting your bang for your buck) during gameplay, but that's just my personal experience. I'm still wondering if your GPU is choking at that resolution.

I've been GPU limited in most modern titles on my 980Ti ever since I got my 3440x1440 monitor, and the same with the Odyssey I now use for simming, Which has been a couple years now on the monitor. I'd expect the same out of pascal or turing in many cases. So fly your heart out @4k via 1 monitor and ssaa 1.5 and see if things change. If it happens at more reasonable resolutions then you've got other issues on your hands. If the spiking behavior were to continue I'd start digging around for errors caused by outdated drivers or rather, possibly drivers without continuing updates/support or checking all my power management settings, using poolmon to look for leaks, making sure my CPU heatsink was clean and my system wasn't throttling. I've seen cpu heatsinks get so dirty it's less effort to earn the money to replace them entirely. I'd also ensure gpu fans are clean. But - 3ghz cpu is on the slow side of single core speed these days, so that bottleneck can't be ruled out either.

At least with today's CPU/GPU combos increases in resolution will reverse that, making the GPU the bottleneck. So start with seeing what happens with a lower res to rule out you aren't whipping your TitanXP like a slave trying to get it to build you a pyramid on it's lonesome as he's crumbling under the weight of the stone you want him to move. :)

If the CPU is a bottleneck you should be able to notice an increase in performance by upping the clockspeed of your current CPU. You can run prime95 or something to see how hot your CPU gets under a full load at default clocks which should give you an idea if you have any headroom to OC at all with your current cooler. I mean I wouldn't try to take it to 4ghz on air but you should still be able raise it enough to see if there's any performance increase. Look for reputable guides on the subject with your CPU and motherboard combination. I'm sure they exist. But I'm reading that 4.2-4.4ghz is about the limit before it takes too much power to be worth more frequency on the 5960x

If things get any better with faster clocks it should give you an idea on whether a CPU upgrade might be worth it, or even alleviate your issues because at that resolution you shouldn't need extremely high clockspeeds, your GPU should be doing the brunt of the work with that amount of pixels.

Do have to admit - I love my AIO liquid unit. I have a Corsair h100i, but there are a lot of brands out there. I used the thermal pad that came on the CPU cooler and average about 75C when stress testing on my 8700k @4.9ghz. I would still see how things go on a single monitor with ssaa 1.5x and rule everything else out before throwing money at it. I wouldn't want to be the guy who talked you into buying new hardware and it end up not helping. Today's CPUs are on another level than the ol 5960x though.

I'll also say this - If i was on a 1080Ti or TitanXP I probably wuoldn't have bought my 2080Ti, my 980Ti has been struggling to maintain the FPS I want on my 3440x1440 monitor and VR headset for awhile now and it was time. . Your resolution is way higher than the majority of people are trying to run DCS or most other games on. Likely could bring a 2080Ti to its knees yet. I know the cards are capable of displaying up to an 8k resolutions 33.something megapixels, But I'd wager that only sees use in professional photo/video usage if at all. Games are still fleshing out of 1080P standards and jumping for the 4k marks. Most of us aim for the best single GPU solution for our needs as well, as SLI just doesn't have the support from developers it needs. NV Link, while far more impressive, may take that same route in the gaming world. Right now the only real upgrade for your TitanXP without DLSS support being adopted is a 2080Ti and it might not be a huge jump.

For more perspective - in benchmarks lately for 1080Ti vs 2080Ti, we've actually learned that the 1080Ti is powerful enough to be limited by an 8700k @ 5.0ghz @ 2560x1440 resolution in certain Dx11 titles. 900 series we were running into CPU limitations at 1080P on 4ghz+ cpus. And it took exceeding 1080P, or in the 1080Ti's case exceeding 1440P to see the difference in performance between the following generation of card. And at those higher resolutions, you could even likely begin to lower CPU clock speeds to an extent without seeing a decline in framerate.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

First thank you for the research and effort :) I really love this community of enthusiasts :)

I have overclocked my CPU a bit up to 3.8GHz. There wasn't any change in FPS. Also, I've gone through the Afterburner logging and looked for correlation around the GPU drop outs. The most I've come across is one core at 97% during one of the drops. In the log I was looking at there were some 9 or drops over a half hour period. In other drops none of the cores were over 50%.

I certainly see spikes in all of the cores up to high 90s or 100% at various times but none of them running there consistently, literally just momentary spikes. If those spikes matched up with drops it would be a smoking gun, but they don't seem to.

I'm having trouble really seeing that the CPU is bottlenecking. There was no difference in performance or behavior at the overclocked CPU speed.

I'm going to try your suggestion of dropping to 1080p resolution 5760x1080 and see what I see. I've also been fiddling with SLI and so far still see a 10FPS drop when I enable it. If it were a CPU bottleneck, shouldn't I see the same performance in SLI not decrease? Dunno, seems odd.

I'll report back my findings. Thank you all again.

First thank you for the research and effort :) I really love this community of enthusiasts :)

I have overclocked my CPU a bit up to 3.8GHz. There wasn't any change in FPS. Also, I've gone through the Afterburner logging and looked for correlation around the GPU drop outs. The most I've come across is one core at 97% during one of the drops. In the log I was looking at there were some 9 or drops over a half hour period. In other drops none of the cores were over 50%.

I certainly see spikes in all of the cores up to high 90s or 100% at various times but none of them running there consistently, literally just momentary spikes. If those spikes matched up with drops it would be a smoking gun, but they don't seem to.

I'm having trouble really seeing that the CPU is bottlenecking. There was no difference in performance or behavior at the overclocked CPU speed.

I'm going to try your suggestion of dropping to 1080p resolution 5760x1080 and see what I see. I've also been fiddling with SLI and so far still see a 10FPS drop when I enable it. If it were a CPU bottleneck, shouldn't I see the same performance in SLI not decrease? Dunno, seems odd.

I'll report back my findings. Thank you all again.

A fellow simmer of mine sold one of his two TitanXP's sometime this year due to the lack of SLI support in most games, DCS definitely included.

Everybody I know that flies in DCS has a desire for better performance right now, although it's at least playable in VR and 4k and if you have a beefy GPU/CPU.

I wouldn't completely rule out the spikes somehow disrupting the flow of data between CPU/GPU, but we'll have to see after you try 5760x1080, which afaik should be playable on a TitanXP, and again I can only speak to my own experiences in bottlenecks. Have you paid attention to the terrain around you when you notice the spikes? Near large cities maybe? If you still run into issues at lower res, more troubleshooting to do.

Things to check if things are still spiking:

CPU and Memory usage when system is idle - High CPU usage or high memory usage could indicate faulty drivers and you would be able to find out which by downloading the Windows Developer Kit so you can use poolmon (google is your friend) and hunt down driver version/s that work better. Windows 10 likes to sometimes use up to 1/4th of my ram if I'm not using it for something else normally. On my old i5 2500k rig that hadn't received driver support since 2010 and 2013 I ran into a network driver that was causing me to run at 30% total cpu usage (i5 quad core mind you) when idle and use up to half my available ram. The caveat of old hardware that otherwise still runs like a champ. At most you should see spikes of like 1%-5% total when idle, although the CPU may spike when you load a new window. In my case culprits ranged from sata controller drivers, to chipset drivers and network drivers as mentioned before. Windows 10 can be finicky about old drivers. My 2500k's sata controller required a specific version to get iastore.exe to quit throwing errors in Event Viewer and sometimes choking my system up.

If all that checks out maybe dig deeper through these forums, as I remember some folks having issues with tri-monitor setups in dcs 2.1 alpha, though that was like a year ago, and I personally suspect not the issue.

Swap your titanXP's out to rule out hardware faults (you may have already but I'm not scrolling through 3 pages right now), maybe even if you have a spare PSU laying around with enough wattage to rule out the PSU. Doubtful, my PSU's either last forever or die instantly from dust/hairball causing a short. On that note - if you're using any USB hubs I'd hope they use external power, and I've sometimes run into issues into them becoming momentarily disconnected (tapping a cable or something on accident, or knocked the power cable loose)) and got some weirdness out of my rig until I unplugged everything from them and plugged them back in. Interestingly enough that caused a bout of DCS freezing up when I'd plug a controller in that wasn't plugged in prior to running the game, where normally it'd recognize that I plugged something in and let me fly with it.

I also use Event Viewer (included in windows) and check application and system logs and google the error codes if I run into problems. In Windows 10 there's a known system error related to runtimebroker (i think) labeled "DistributedCom" which is safe to ignore ime, but if you're seeing more yellow triangles or red circles down the windows system logs than that they could be an indicator of something funky going on and sometimes even lead to solutions.

I'm hopeful the lower resolution sorts you out, as it saves you from the tediousness of troubleshooting routines. >.> Good luck man. Do tell if you figure it out.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Thanks, I did try the lower resolution set all displays to 1920x1080 and DCS to 5760x1080. I expected to see an increase in FPS. I didn't. Still at ~30FPS sitting at the ramp. What I did see, is my GPU1 usage (single GPU mode) drop from near 100% to 75% usage. None of the CPU cores though seem to be maxed out or running consistently high.

If I turn off shadows or set them to flat, I pick up like 5 FPS compared to high. Changing the detail distance from Extreme to Low has no effect on FPS. So basically, I'm getting around ~30 FPS no matter what I do.

You'd think 3.8GHz would do better than that. I even went to single display 2560x1440 and I picked up about 5FPS compared to triple.

RAM usage is always fairly low, the most I saw today so far in VRAM usage was 9GB of the 12GB so that's not being maxed out. Page file wasn't being maxed out. Thermals are good.

Overall idle CPU usage 10-15%, no run away process, no evident memory leak as memory usage never gets too high. 64GB and I don't think I've ever used 32GB, so it's way overkill.

I just had the sim freeze up for a good four seconds straight, no errors, no correlation with CPU spike, of course GPU power util drops but that's b/c it wasn't rendering anything.

The fact that lowering detail levels or resolutions and I still have only ~30FPS seems like something is capping it there. The monitor refresh rates are at 165Hz, I've not messed with them and G-Sync is on.

I'm gonna try turning it off and test. I'm really out of ideas.

I ordered two RTX 2080 Ti's and an NVLink bridge. I have no idea at this point if that will make any difference. I think I'll start with just one of them and see what happens leaving the other unopened.

My next plan is to rebuild the system, new Rampage VI, new x299 CPU, thinking 8700 or 8720 new DDR4 3000 or 3200 and maybe a new PSU for the heck of it, current one is a 1250w that's three years old.

Hate to throw money at the problem like you said before but dang....this is annoying.

*Nope, not G-Synch, refresh rate or Vsynch on/off No effect.

Edited by Nightstorm

You'd think 3.8GHz would do better than that. I even went to single display 2560x1440 and I picked up about 5FPS compared to triple.

I had to go to 4.5GHz (didn't really want to push my CPU any hotter) to get min fps that I was happy with.

no run away process,

As for background processes did you also monitor to see if any other programs are hitting the HDD's or network during your "hitches" ?

10-15% CPU usage at idle sounds a little suspect. As I'm typing this my 8700K is at 3% utilization. 10-15% cpu utilization on your 5960x would be comparible to the 30% cpu utilizaton on my 2500k at idle if you look at the core count. That'd be enough for me to ask google why I have high cpu usage at idle, and sounds like a potential driver issue. Take a look at the performance tab in task manager and see if any one of your cores is running at high utilization when idle. Make sure you didn't overlook any drivers from your mobo manufacturer when you reinstalled windows. With googling you might find that any given one of those drivers there could exist a version more friendly with win10. I actually had to do this everytime I reinstalled windows 10 on my 2500k. I didn't see much difference in gaming performance between that and my new rig...but - having drivers that get continuing support has made life easier in that regard.

NV Link still requires developer support and therefore likely won't work with DCS, but I hope you find use out of your new video cards. Good plan to keep one unopened so you have the chance to return it. I mean, nothing wrong with SLI/NV Link if you run games that support it. But I wouldn't get my hopes up on DCS utilizing that technology any time soon. *edit* - I linked a thread at the bottom of this post that seems to contradict what I'm saying here, at least in regards to SLI

Also an x299 chipset is a bit on side of overkill on core count, but not in clockspeed frequency, as with DCS we're mostly concerned with single core performance. 8th and 9th gen intels (z370, or z390) or even a ryzen 2700x are among the most impressive chips for gaming atm, with the newer intel chips pushing to 5.0ghz on a single core out of the box, and easily handling overclocks on all cores to those speeds. As it stands - given at least a 7th gen quadcore, more cores does not = more gaming performance, although higher clockspeed will to the point of being limited at the GPU.

Likely a tad less expensive all together while offering the clockspeed frequencies that should definitely rule out any CPU bottlenecks above a given resolution. A 7th gen quad core that can push 4.5ghz or more will yield better performance out of DCS than 12 cores @ 3.0ghz. (This could change when the devs implement the Vulkan API but we have no idea when that's coming or what kind of benefits to performance we'll actually see)

At least we can say this much - When you shop for pc components you like to go big. ;) Personally - I'd have probably ordered a cpu/ram/mobo combo to see if that increases what you're getting out of your TitanXP's, as you could probably build an 8th or 9th gen intel system for around a grand using the same drives,case, gpu's and PSU that you're currently using.

I also want to clearly state that I did not advise running out and buying $2400 worth of gpu, so if it doesn't change anything, please don't murder me. But, combined with a cpu/chipset upgrade (again, 8th gen, 9th gen, ryzen 2700x) you'll be rocking the latest and greatest gaming hardware known to man. ANd the 9th gen intel K series processors use a soldered TIM between the silicon and the heatspreader which should amount to less heat, and higher overclocks. i9 9900k would be overkill but at least you get high clockspeed frequencies out of it compared to x299, for a lot less money. A quick google search of x299 immediately pulled up a $600 motherboard and a $1000 processor that comes stock 2.9ghz, where you can get a an i9 9900K for $580, or an i7 9700k for $419 and get away with a z370 board which would be like $130-$250 depend on what you get, although the z390 boards will offer at least a bit more in the way of features. As it stands with DX11, 9900k and 9700k would perform about equally in DCS given they were set to the same clockspeed frequency.. vulkan could put 9900k well ahead, as well as ryzen, but that's not a guarantee.

*edit* https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201454

An interesting thread on SLI, seems some people do get it to work by changing various settings in NV Profile Inspector. And you hear a lot of talk about CPU bottlenecks in the thread as well. Could be good news for NV Link as well, but we'll have to see. IF people actually are able to manage higher performance in SLI, and those same methods also apply NV Link - NV Link and the way it shares memory bandwidth should be superior. But grain of salt, ymmv. Me personally I've always just gone for the best single GPU solution I can afford as long as it isn't overkill for my display setup. Same reason I went for a 3440x1440 monitor vs 3x 1080P monitors. Less over all fiddling to make things work while offering performance I can get by with and some of the additional FOV I was looking for.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Well, I was interested in upgrading my GPU's in any event. I wanted to wait until some reviews were actually out. The likely case will be that the RTX Titan will be a $3,000 GPU to replace the Titan V. So for all intents, the RTX 2080 Ti a the same price point at Titan X / Xp is effectively the new flagship gaming GPU's.

I know that SLI support isn't always implemented very well. I've been using my cards for SLI Surround and still use that for several other games. Fortunately DCS doesn't require surround to be active to use the same exact resolution and camera set up. What I have found is that DCS doesn't particularly like NVidia surround. I was getting random driver crashes, that's when I went to the current set up of not using surround for DCS, though I can easily (as easy as Nvidia makes it) switch surround back on for other titles.

I still intend to upgrade the rest of the system, but I figured with the GPU supply being what it is, I'd snag them while I had the chance.

So more testing though this weekend. I did get a stable 4GHz overclock on my 5960x. Temps seem good and the system is running well. I got it up to 4.2GHz but temps were hitting 105c....nope. So 4GHz on all cores.

I noticed about a 5-10FPS increase in DCS. Ok...I'll take it.

While I was in the BIOS I was messing with some other options that I hadn't tried yet. One was to disable hyperthreading altogether. That didn't have any effect on performance or the hitching.

Then I disabled my mobos built in Bluetooth and Wireless controller ( I don't use them and have Ethernet connected to the 1G port).

Hmm....hitching went away...first time ever. I then turned SLI back on. Whoa....sever hitching. Turned SLI back off....two runs, no hitching.

I've had three flights now totaling nearly two hours of flight time with no significant hitching. More testing needed before I'm confident but that was a huge difference from what I've been seeing.

So maybe I'm dealing with two issues that were causing the hitching. SLI being enabled and set to Max 3D perf but using 3 monitors, and the Bluetooth/Wireless being enabled?

I can also say, before I got to that point, I had DCS open in flight and Process Lasso open watching the cores. The sim hitched up...badly like for 2800ms according to the frametime and the CPU cores....none above 50%.

I honestly don't think, based on my various observations that the hitching is related to CPU usage.

Sure I got a little bump overclocking the CPU, and a faster one should see more gain, I'm hoping too see some gains using the new 2080Ti. Even if I can only use one in DCS. One might be enough to run everything else I use in surround as well, so I think I'll stick to that plan of testing everything with one first.

I hope I've resolved the issue, but it'll take more than three flights to convince me that the issue is dead.

Thanks!

Never mind. Started the $@!@ up this afternoon and here's what I get before I even get to the runway from a ramp start.

Not a fricken thing changed.

I have a lot of time and money invested into DCS, and this is getting me so frustrated I'm ready to rage quit. Every time I think I found something, it gives me like 2-3 great flights and then screws me over on the next. That is COMPLETELY unplayable doing what it was doing. Nothing changed. Just the day or the alignment of the moon or maybe electrons turned green instead of purple. I don't know.

Sorry for venting but this has been exasperating.

FUBAR.thumb.png.25070562485d1a64f61ced777ee06e2c.png

Sending you a PM to discuss temps/ocing and CPU hardware as it's really a do it at your own risk kind of thing and I can't keep it short and sweet. Watch dem temps. :) Default Tj max 5960x = like 87C, then the CPU throttles or downclocks trying to cool off. 70-80C preferable sweetspot, 85C is the max I'd allow under a full load personally, but I'd aim for lower.

The fps bump you managed honestly might be an indicator of a gpu hungry for cpu cycles.

That being said - on to the seeing if there's a needle in a haystack that might let you solve your issues without added cost, because we all have such different configurations, if you'd like to talk OC'ing or CPU hardware feel free to reply to my PM, or maybe start a thread on it in the PC Hardware section and people smarter than myself may chime in.

My questions, with the bluetooth/wireless disabled has your Idle CPU usage changed?

And how about single monitor flight to rule out tri-screen and DCS not being friendly together for some reason? Also - there's a setting in DCS for amount of monitors, is that set to 3 when running with 3 displays? (honestly things we should have checked before hardware changes or cpu speeds)

The good news about the game not running well @ 5760x1080 is that it makes me think there's some solution to this somewhere. Just have to find out what.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Thanks I responded via PM as well.

CPU temps I think are ok at 4GHz, mostly around 80-85 with no throttling.

I've gotten idle CPU down to <8% by killing some other apps I typically have running (Rainmeter, OneDrive) Just those two can use a significant amount of cycles. Unfortunately even with the system streamlined it didn't affect anything.

In my PM I suggested a couple of things that may be related to my PSU, even though it's only three years old, that may be my issue. About to do some testing.

Other things to check - download a large file and check your CPU usage while downloading. I'm downloading right now at 1Gbps with about 21% total cpu usage spread pretty evenly across cores with several windows in chrome open. And we're just talking download not upload. Speedtest.net should do the trick as well, which got me to 32% CPU usage, but at 1Gpbs, on a slower connection i'd likely not see so much cpu usage. . If CPU usage is high, I'd suspect network drivers issues IF it's not this:

Try transfering a large file between your drives. IF you see heavy CPU usage in this scenario i'd suspect sata controller drivers causing issues.

Also might be worth checking chipset drivers. Worth going through device manager and make sure windows didn't install generic drivers for some reason on these components over your manufacturer's drivers. Sometimes it's worth digging up drivers via the manufacturer of the motherboard component rather than the manufacturer of the motherboard. If there's anything going on there there are probably topics to be found for it on google that might lead you to a better driver version.

Had to do a lot of this with my 2500k as it got older and stopped getting driver updates, Windows 10 can be picky about drivers, and sometimes windows updates break them all together. I even remember having to manually extract drivers from an 8.1 install package to calm my system down before I finally upgraded. It was hangups in various games that eventually pointed me to faulty drivers hogging up my CPU.

Good luck with the PSU monitoring. If there's anything wrong there EVGA should hook you up. I'm just tossing ideas into the bucket at this point.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

I mean, I don't get it. You buy 2 new 2080ti's and still stick to that CPU and it's X99 chipset.

I`d get me a 9900k in your case, you need very cycle of the CPU, to drive those cards imho.

At least get a good CPU cooler to prevent your CPU from throttling.

Also, MSI_util_v2.exe needs to be run again after each NV driver update or change of config in general. Better recheck your IRQ settings from time to time. It is not a permanent setting.

You have too many open ends to find the culprit from what I understand from troubleshooting. Limit your varibles and go from there.

1. Disable everything in Bios you dont need. Your chipset is notoriously known for USB conflicts and lockups. Tho with the newest Bios and drivers that "should" be fixed. Still, I would disbale all WLAN, BT, COM, IR, etc.. that you dont need. Then recheck IRQs with MSI tool.

2. Take 1 card out, physically. make it easier and exclude it 100%. Less IRQ and PCIe trouble, less PSU stress, less heat.

3. 1 Monitor

once that runs as it should add 1 after the other.

That's how I would go at it, if I had that much time.

In the end, you need a faster CPU, even if you then run x8x8 only

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Just wanted to say that i have the pimax 4k vr headset.

It also happen to me that I can play for example 40 minutes - 2houres and then all of a sudden i get the VR loading screen og that I kind of have a blackout/loading screen for 2-5 seconds.

Some times this only take 2-5 seconds, other times it take like 10 minutes before i get my ordinary fps back.

I notised that it happen more often in missions with many scripts, and especially when a player die and respawn in the mirage 2000.

So in case you want to troubleshoot your self, then maybe think about when your lag happen, what happened in the mission, did anyone in Multiplayer spawn or select another plane ?

Also i have a 1080gtx card and run with like 35 fps.

( i guess that is 30-35fps pr eye, since my game run perfect except for the lag spikes.... so that is arround 60 fps i by the way think are hardware locked for my VR headset. ).

I also tried with a 1080ti card, and i only had 2 fps more than with my 1080gtx card. So that tell me its a hardware limit.

( by the way my vr headset do not require 90fps to show vr and i have 0 motion sickness. the pimax 4k i would say is about double as good as ocolus and vive regarding image quality, and in early 2019 the pimax 8k and 5k+ will be avaliable.)

I also notised that if someone host a multiplayer and i play in VR and the uses internet speed is kind of slow or is a tiny bit unstable then i also have the issue sometimes.

In singleplayer i cant remember i had any fps lag or anything playing in vr.

By the way i notised that my game run more smooth when i have a vr average fps of more than 30... typical when im airborn it have like 35-40fps pr eye... and in non vr i have like 120+ fps.

The think that really kill vr fps, are the view distance, and the detail of the forest near you.. Also turn off "vsync".

I have a ryzen 1800x ( 8 cores 16 treats, 16gb ddr 4 ram, 1080gtx, 3xssd windows 10 64bit ) and pimax 4k vr headset.

Anyway, try to notise what happen when your game get lagspikes and what happen.

I mean, I don't get it.

Admittedly a CPU upgrade would've been my choice before a GPU upgrade coming from pascal Titans and x99 chipset. and if you've got the luxury of money to spend also have to agree with the choice of a 300 chipset+9900K over x299 very strongly. And the guidance I've offered is mostly in a desire of ruling out the possibility of running into the same issues on newer and expensive hardware due to something like too much resolution. Pinpoint a driver issue that has no real solution or pinpoint a bottleneck, and there's a bit more certainty there.

That being said, I also get your reasoning if you were determined to get new gpu's anyway with the way stock has been. If you have to re-cooperate the bankroll, a decent AIO cooler now would at least be able to follow you to the new build when you get there, and most are able to fit a variety of intel sockets.

Glad Bitmaster also mentioned msi_util. Downloaded and ran it myself and that's actually really useful for troubleshooting. IRQ conflicts are a definite possibility, and I'm kind of embarassed that it's not already a part of my troubleshooting routines.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Thanks, I intend to upgrade the rest of the system as well. I ordered the cards b/c they were available and of course I'll try one out in the system as is to see what it does.

I'll make some changes in the BIOS and leave off what I'm not using. Just reduces variables. I did read that you have to reset the MSI tool when drivers change, but I didn't check it with other config changes. I was planning to physically remove a card to see what that does next.

Thanks for your reply!

• 1 month later...

Just posting an update to this so that it may help others in the future. After all of the experimentation and looking at CPU usage and affinity ect ect. The issue doesn't appear to have been related to the CPU or a bottle neck at all.

Rather, I had HyperV installed on my system and a virtual machine that I occasionally used for some specific software. It would appear that the virtual adapter and or the virtual switch was causing my issues. I found some other threads where network utilization was causing pretty much the same symptoms I described.

Uninstalling HyperV seems to have eliminated the issue. I've gone five days of heavy usage with multiple reboots and no further symptom. I hope that was the end of that particular gremlin. I can't use my VM any longer but I didn't use it much anyway.