Very puzzling behaviour in DCS from peripherals...

So I popped a thread in the Thrustmaster section with regards to DCS not recognising my throttle section. However I believe now that the issue is not localised to any specific hardware and DCS is doing something really odd.

Last night I was able to use my HOTAS Warthog and Pro Flight rudder pedals just fine. Load up the sim today to find that my joystick isn't functioning, test the axis in controls and it's completely dead (T.A.R.G.E.T recognises both devices fine).

So I reboot, full HOTAS control restored. Do an instant action mission in the Viggen and land (rocket strafe mission) and realise my rudder isn't working at all. Axis is dead in controls.

I alt tab to desktop and load up the control panel for the saitek pedals and find it non-responsive, neither the rudder or toe break axis are responding. I quit DCS and the very moment I do that the rudders come back to life.

This is so confusing, it's not restricted to one piece of hardware and seems to disable them in game at random. Anyone ever come across this issue before? It's really tiring having to troubleshoot and restart DCS/reboot to get things working just to fly.

Sounds like its intermittent. I know its basic but have you taken a good look at the cables? I've had similar issues historically, spent way too much time on software when it was a bad connection.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

The cables are fine. All the equipment works fine, cables are in good condition they don't get bent and are quite tidy at the back of the system. It just seems to switch from one peripheral to another seemingly at random and shuts it down while DCS is running, hence when I quit DCS just a while ago the rudder pedals instantly became usable again.

If it was intermittent because of a cable fault you'd expect it to cut in and out while playing?

Just a thought, and I have no idea if this is true or not as I'm not very good when it comes to hardware wizardry...

Could it be that when the system is under load - with DCS running, that it can't power all the peripherals and thus is shutting one off until it's not under load again?

Is there a way to test this?

EDIT: I should add that this is the same system config I've had for years so it would be odd to be having issues now unless my PSU is on the fritz.

Edited by 159th_LoneWolf

Should not, but could be if you where not using a peripheral for a while the power management feature for USB devices power it off, and then something weird happens when you actually want to use it again.

It really shouldn't do this though even if it was on.

Windows updates for instance is notorious for enabling this feature after you disable them.

This can be set through the usual power management settings.

on w10 just type "edit power" into the start menu search field and click "change advanced power settings" and it will be the option under USB settings.

Also I recommend powered hubs for usb devices as much as possible.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

The number one reason for a usb device to function oddly is a power issue.

For control devices like joysticks etc there is nowhere near enough data bandwidth to run into issues on that front and using a hub with an AC/DC power adapter sort out the power issue

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

The number one reason for a usb device to function oddly is a power issue.

For control devices like joysticks etc there is nowhere near enough data bandwidth to run into issues on that front and using a hub with an AC/DC power adapter sort out the power issue

True, but more likely reasons is that the latest update from ED randomly assigned rudder/pitch to all USB devices causing erratic behavior in the game. So I'd check overlapping assignment first.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have encountered similar issues related to USB power settings in the past. In addition to the more well known Windows power/energy settings, also go in device manager scroll to your USB hubs and open their properties, you'll find ANOTHER set of energy conservation commands in there, make sure they're unchecked.

Occasionally Windows decides to 'sleep' a device usually requiring a reboot. Not guaranteed to be your problem, but it was the case with my very similar issue.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2