Flight Stick (Bodnar BU0826A) Wakes PC from sleep!

Greetings everyone,

I have converted my TM HOTAS Cougar from the crappy stock electronics to the excellent Leo Bodnar BU0836A USB control circuit.

The Cougar still uses potentiometers for a variety of radar-related control axes, usually on the throttle.

The dang thing keeps waking up my computer! I have my PC set up so that after 10 minutes, the screeen turns off. The Cougar wakes it up because of pot noise :)

So, how do I stop this from happening without messing up anything else? In Windows 10 Device Manager, the Cougar now shows up as HID-compliant game controller. When my PC turns the screen off after a while, nudging the stick (or any axis or button on it) wakes up the PC. The option "allow this device to wake the computer" is permanently greyed out, and un-selected, but any input from the Cougar (including pot noise) wakes up the PC.

I like my monitor to stay off at night, but it always comes back on due to small amounts of pot noise from the Cougar.

Any ideas?

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey
typos

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Any reason why you can't just hit the power button at night?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Any reason why you can't just hit the power button at night?

'Cause sometimes I like to fall asleep watching a vid or two (or just listening to the sound). So, 'pooter stays fired up, but monitor backlight turns off.

Anyway, my Cougar had a bad throttle pot. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem anymore, I replaced it with one of the other ones from the stick (pitch/roll axis pots) left over from when I converted the stick to Hall effect sensors. It was the throttle pot jitter/wander that kept waking up my PC.

Problem gone. Still, I wish I could disable Waking through the game controller! Device Manager won't let me.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Is it connected directly or through a hub?

Plugged into a motherboard rear USB port.

Kit:

I turn off my computer every night. Why wear it out doing nothing?

It doesn't really wear out, just the fan bearings. I have my vid card fans set up to stop with no load on the card.

When the plain-bearing fans crap out on me, I just replace them with dual ball bearing ones. With the PC at idle, they can run slowly for 10 years no problem :)

AD

Kit:

'Cause sometimes I like to fall asleep watching a vid or two (or just listening to the sound). So, 'pooter stays fired up, but monitor backlight turns off.

Anyway, my Cougar had a bad throttle pot. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem anymore, I replaced it with one of the other ones from the stick (pitch/roll axis pots) left over from when I converted the stick to Hall effect sensors. It was the throttle pot jitter/wander that kept waking up my PC.

Problem gone. Still, I wish I could disable Waking through the game controller! Device Manager won't let me.

AD

Ah makes sense. I guess i would have brute forced solved it with

shutdown /f /t 14440

:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1