VNSL landings nearly impossible

Nealius

38 minutes ago, Draken35 said:

I got used to the 800ft (NAVAIR 00-80T-111)  because of carrier ops. Is 1000 standard for airfield ops or just for Cherry Point MCAS?

Just for Cherry , every airfield has their own rules for overhead pattern alts. Nellis for example the pattern is at 3500 ft amsl, 1800 ft agl. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those rules can be waived for Navy (and I assume Marine) aircraft so that they can perform the carrier break. I have not found any Navy documents explaining the procedure for an overhead break with higher pattern altitudes. 

I would assume that if an airfield has a specific pattern altitude you have to comply with it. Logically your downwind leg may extend a little bit and the descent rate from the 180 to the 90 would be steeper if it's a higher alt. For a 1000 ft pattern the 180 to 90 section would be done with a 5 degree FPA.  

The procedures for the higher pattern alt are described in the USMC FSG. 

Former/current Navy pilots say they are allowed to do the carrier pattern with ATC permission regardless of airfield's published pattern. Obviously if they don't get ATC permission they have to do the standard pattern. 

• Thanks 1