Decrease Joystick Deadzone

Crash *

Hello Gentlemen!

Is it possible to decrease the little Deadzone? I have to move my MS FFB2 a few mm to get ANY response on the Gazelle. Would be nice if i had the option to eliminate that Deadzone completley.

Greetings to the team!

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

Found an old thread about the Deadzone problem.

There was no solution found mounth ago.

But a user lowerd both Saturations on the Axis an put a little bit negative Curvature (-5 for me). The setting will mask the Deadzone and gives a good feeling (for me) .

In an Documentation the instructor alwas told his students : "DONT TOUCH THE STICK". Cause the need of moving the stick very little. :smartass:

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

Yes less input is more control, especially in the Gazelle. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 2 weeks later...

This ridiculous deadzone has been around since some updates ago. Not sure why this hasn’t been adressed so far. The Gazelle is unflyable without adding saturation and/or curvature which should NOT be necessary in the first place.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

;3671659']This ridiculous deadzone has been around since some updates ago. Not sure why this hasn’t been adressed so far. The Gazelle is unflyable without adding saturation and/or curvature which should NOT be necessary in the first place.

The deadzone being referred to is hardwired into the FFB2, there's no removing it without adding a second board for the input.

Outside trying to mitigate this issue with the ffb2 there's no need to add curves to the gazelle, nor is there any other deadzone.

Sadist_Cain is correct, also please be aware that most "ordinary joysticks" have a programmed "dead zone" * built into them which makes it difficult to fully control the Gazelle.

We both kinda converged at the same place with joystick input.

Some observations with joystick input.

Great write up about FFB joysticks here

Going over to a third party USB interface is the best option, I now use a Leo Bodnar USB interface and the Gazelle is pretty darn good although for physical reasons I do use some saturation even with a 250mm extension. :)

* the characteristic is more of a magnetic attraction to the center of control voltage when the stick is bought back to mechanical center and a kinda hold off until the stick is moved enough away from center.

<edit>

From the developer

Edited by FragBum
Add link to Pats response re dead zone in controls

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The deadzone being referred to is hardwired into the FFB2, there's no removing it without adding a second board for the input.

I have made a custom cyclic with hall effect precision sensors. The pitch and roll axis have absolutely no deadzone. Every other module have full control around the center without having to fight build-in deadzone. Needless to say I fly all modules without any saturation, curves or extra deadzone. The Gazelle is the only module which is effected with this behaviour which wasn’t there since some updates ago. This is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Edited by Razorback[NL]

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

;3671829']I have made a custom cyclic with hall effect precision sensors. The pitch and roll axis have absolutely no deadzone. Every other module have full control around the center without having to fight build-in deadzone. Needless to say I fly all modules without any saturation' date=' curves or extra deadzone. The Gazelle is the only module which is effected with this behaviour which wasn’t there since some updates ago. This is a software issue, not a hardware issue.[/quote']

Okay this is interesting and maybe a glitch of some sort however I don't experience it.

In another thread User having what might be the same issue which could be unrelated to "joystick" issues..

• 8 months later...

I just noticed that deadzone as well - but only in the Gazelle. No other module has it. So it's definately not an FFB2 issue. A fix wouldn't be great - it's absolutely mandatory, especially since this chopper is extremely sensitive on the controls.

Ctrl+Enter display shows that the stick movement avtually is recognized, but the Cyclic doesn't react to it until the position indicator (circle) moves that far away from the center cross it actually doesn't even touch any of it's axes anymore which is a significant input already.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dear PC-Team,

your are working on many issues these days and i hope you will remind this issue with the little deadzone as well.

Thanks.

Do you have un checked the FFB in specials?

No. Cause i have a FFB Stick.

• 1 month later...