Hornet AOA Indexer lights (nose wheel)

ChuckJäger

Not sure if this is a bug or a wish list item but the AOA lights on the nose wheel don't seem to be working. Would be great to have for all of the virtual LSO's out there. Forgive me if this has already been addressed.... I haven't seen it.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

The indexer lights are much too dim, just like the 2 position lights on each wing. You can barely even see them from any reasonable distance zoomed out. They really need to be brightened so you can actually see those lights from even 1 mile away without having to be super zoomed in on the airplane.

IIRC You could see them pretty well on the flight deck. Also - if I'm not mistaken they flash when the hornet is using auto land.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Onspeed is supposed to be amber, they work but are very hard to see. Onspeed is best judged by looking at the aircraft attitude, I have cued our training film up to the onspeed section:

https://youtu.be/BbMw4PcvMyY?t=3m41s

Apparently they're abolutely impossible to see as your video just proves. The colour as well as the brightness/intensity has to be fixed.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Regardless of the color you just can't see the lights at a reasonable zoom level. You have to zoom in like you're looking through binoculars to see a shining light, that behavior just isn't correct at the moment.

Yeah, very true. What I usually do if I'm trying to help somebody down, is that I use the F2 external view to take a look at their aircraft and see if they have trimmed up or not. Obviously though, this isn't always an option, and not that realistic.

So that's usually like tenth of a pixel (if not totally zoomed in) which is white instead of light gray. Explains why I never have been able to see it. It should be amber like the real thing and actually have that light effect just like strobes, position lights etc.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It should be amber colored, but as mentioned, LSOs determine on-speed by the stabs level with the canopy as the indexer lights (especially amber and green) are surprisingly difficult to see in real life during the day. Even at night, when the lights are easily determined, on-speed is judged by the indexer lights being in a straight line with the LAU lights. Believe it or not, the indexer lights are somewhat of a secondary cue to the aircraft's energy state.

Currently like I said earlier you can't even see the position lights from anything farther than what seems to be ~150 feet. The 2 position/navigation lights on each wing are much brighter than the AoA indexer lights, and while both should be visible the position lights should be so bright at night that you can't miss them.

Here's a video of DCS just after Dusk to demonstrate how broken the current exterior lights are. You can see the position/nav lights pop in at 0:15, when you should be able to seem them clearly the entire time:

https://streamable.com/etoww

Real night examples of how bright the position lights are:

1.)

2.)

3.)

Edited by Razgriz
  • Like 1