Beta vrs Stable

DeepDrummer

If Beta servers were only available on Tuesdays for 24 hours per week people may just flock to the stable servers and we could all get back to populated servers.

Stable should only be updated monthly with solid updates.

A month of solid uninterrupted play time couldn't be all that bad could it?

It's like the whole things stalls when there is a flaw in the beta which although a flaw in a beta is perfectly normal,

The model which only allows only a certain number of beta testers works well in some franchises.

That would reduce the number of false alarms drastically and ED could focus on real problems.

I have been guilty of a false alarm or 2. Someone had to spend time to find it could not be reproduced. It was a controller problem which is super common.

My application to beta test should be revoked.

Flip it around somehow. Play the Stable./ Test on the Beta.

This needs to be turned around.

It's just all the whining when the "Beta" breaks.

After 35 years of heavily beta testing, I am done with all that. (and my SSD is kind of full).

I was kind of hoping to find a few Stable Spitfire servers on something other than the Normandy map is all.

Nothing is critical. I am happy enough making missions and practicing. Just some thoughts.

One pays for the experience and then one finds you can't have the experience unless you are willing to play the buggy Beta game.

While I am here, an ingame VOIP system is sorely needed.

TS, Discord, Skype, SRS. How many back doors must we open? sheesh.

Ok. I am done.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Not much to disagree with here-but I'm sure someone will find a way :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

if you say you can wait a month for a stable update, surely you can wait 2 weeks for a beta patch.

historically, egregious issues have been hotfixed in less time than that.

you real solution here is to go and make some regular flying buddies because even on beta a lot of servers (including bs) are vacated until a few players choose to seed it.

Edited by probad

The servers aren't run by ED and the server owners choose to run the best MP experience - often that's the Beta because it has the newest module releases in it and gets bug fixes first. When the F14 releases, do you think people will be happy to wait a month before playing it in multiplayer?

what he means is a return to the old days of software devving, where you keep mum about it while its in -closed- beta -- the tomcat wouldnt be announced as released or be available for purchase until stable release is ready.

if the software business started and ended with just writing good programs, that would be okay, but the reality is that it's a business first, and so i think this matter is greater than one of simply "better beta testing."

public beta testing aka early access has become an integral part of modern marketing models and that is the superseding consideration.

Edited by probad

The versions are not an issue. As mentioned, ED doesn't run the servers, the playerbase does. Meet a server's requirements or don't play on it, just that simple. If you have an issue with how a server is being run (which is what this boils down to) take it up with them, neither ED nor anyone here cares or can do anything about it.

The ONLY way to avoid this basic scenario (whether versions or mods) is company run servers and no private servers, which isn't going to happen. This basic scenario affects literally EVERY GAME with private servers. Meet their requirements, or don't. Your choice. Not anybody else's problem.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
if you say you can wait a month for a stable update, surely you can wait 2 weeks for a beta patch.

historically, egregious issues have been hotfixed in less time than that.

you real solution here is to go and make some regular flying buddies because even on beta a lot of servers (including bs) are vacated until a few players choose to seed it.

As I stated my SSD is pretty full. I had to get rid of something.

Even if folks would state what version they are posting about in forums it would help.

I made the post in response to the controller problems happening in the Beta.

That part obviously was not ready for the stable and I am simply saying wait until it has been done properly and I will add ED please notify us of any additions to the binding list.

I would gladly reset to default to add a field but we need to know when that is available so we don't reset to default and lose bindings for no new additional fields.

I.E. if they ever add Gear up and gear down to the P-51 or Gun safe off and On for the Spitfire.

Someone posts something and often they are talking about the beta but don't say so it causes confusion.

Then and only then would I reset that aircraft to default and redo all my bindings which would still be better than having to edit input mods every update.

I agree finding folks to play with would be good but I operate at opposite ends of the clock to pings close to me. I know how someone with a bad ping can slow others down so I respectively don't mess that up for folks. Someday there will be a server near me or perhaps I will make one in the future.

I also need a ton of dogfighting practice.

I thought 30 + years of flight simming would be relevant but man was I wrong.

I have to find some reading material about dog fighting techniques such as what do I do when my opponent does a certain move. I admit, I have no idea in this area.

"Oh no, he is doing a split S, what do I do now?" as an example.

I have to learn to not be just a target first.

I did try MP twice. The last time, it was only myself in a Spitfire and an F15 pulled up on my wing.

Why an F15 would be in the same MP session as an F15 is beyond me but I have to admit it was the coolest thing ever to know there was a human piloting that.

I know one person that plays MP personally but he is in the city likely with a far better ping than my tin can and string. BS is a bit higher of a ping than I would personally find acceptable. Darn.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

If I read it all correctly, the Beta is the popular way to go. Since I have only room for one, the last fiasco in Beta would have caused me to rage quit without question.

I have beta tested things since 95.

Often the inefficiencies of Betas can really overwork one's machine and more so one's patience.

We sure whipped "Chicago" into Win95 due to open Beta testing and I certainly see the value of it. After 23 years of Beta testing, I'd rather stay out of the Betas personally.

I used the DCS Beta quite a bit for a while and did my due diligence reporting some items which never seem to get rectified before it goes to the Stable.

I am not suggesting anyone keep mum on anything.

Forget I said anything. Carry on with your buggy Betas and send your "do it my way or don't do it at all" comments into the trash.

I flew Beta until a control assignment fiasco a couple of months ago , at which time i switched to stable , and thus avoided the last control binding debacle . I may consider Beta again if MP is ever fixed , but would prefer to stay on stable if i can find a low-ping server running it . (Or maybe play MP only during merge periods)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hehe that makes crashing to desktop and having your control bindings meddled with sound much more exciting than it actually is lol.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It is a pain in the arse, that is for sure. I have the beta client for playing MP (only caucasus map and the few modules I play in MP) while the rest of my modules, all maps, campaigns and most of my time I spend it on the stable client.

I'd like to play on stable only, but unfortunately most of the populated MP servers are on the beta client, so even if I don't like it, I have to accept it.

By the way, I'd wait 2 more weeks to play the Cat on MP if it arrives free of bugs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
I flew Beta until a control assignment fiasco a couple of months ago , at which time i switched to stable , and thus avoided the last control binding debacle . I may consider Beta again if MP is ever fixed , but would prefer to stay on stable if i can find a low-ping server running it . (Or maybe play MP only during merge periods)

That was when I removed it. It scared me to death.

I re-installed it yesterday after a thorough cleaning of files.

I had the saved games folder saved in 4 different places. that took a fair bit of room.

I am now Down to 93 GB. free.

What should I consider the minimum?

I can't buy another drive for a while yet but it is in the long range plan.

what he means is a return to the old days of software devving, where you keep mum about it while its in -closed- beta -- the tomcat wouldnt be announced as released or be available for purchase until stable release is ready.

if the software business started and ended with just writing good programs, that would be okay, but the reality is that it's a business first, and so i think this matter is greater than one of simply "better beta testing."

public beta testing aka early access has become an integral part of modern marketing models and that is the superseding consideration.

From what i remember, those old days, constant evolution softwares weren'T as populated, before we bought the games at the stores, patch wasn't that often, people were selling softwares pretty completed, and people were being patient to wait for it and didn'T had any choices, no way a company would had spend lots of money to print/produce boxes, produces CD's, DVD's or diskets way back then, shipping to all the stores, for an unfinished product, then redo all the process a few months after for the final product, then Internet came with softwares selling without the need of buying in physical stores, just click download and voilà, so all goes more and more into betas as no need to release a physical copy much anymore. Now many games goes with lots of DLC etc... those are two different eras.

One, of completed sofwares, low updates, upgrades, DLC's or in store content should i say, patient customers, to a, fashion of betas, alphas due to impatient customers, easy accessible downloading content with a click of a mouse, no need to produce physical copies, find stores to sale them to, there'S a bug? Well Hotfix.

In other words, the customers, us, are to blame, how arrasing were we witht he Hornet, arassing ED when it'll comes out, asking every months, every days? Did we managed to leave them slowly finish it or did we put pressure on them to release it as much as possible as it as early access? How pressure is coming on Heatblur for the F-14? Asking 100's times per days on the forums, on their Facebook or on ED's Facebook, when it'll come out? Are custumers willing to wait another 10 months for it to comes finished?

I personaly got use with all this and live with it, being flying DCS since 2009, and i ratehr have 2 versions and try out the new stuff than only a stable version and got to wait, i guess this comes from my many years of playing MMORPG that has lots of constant upgrades, DLC's and suffer bugs, so i got used to it in DCS.

As as OP mentioned, an ingame voice system, oh god, please, NO! Not a single game i've seen with open voice system ended up good, unless a full module working like those mentionned, TS, Discord etc that you could create channels or limit who can goes in etc.. cuz with open voice system, you always have that kid frustrated coming in and bash at people, whine etc... Or those you don'T wanna hear.

At least with external voice system, you limit the peope talking to only those really willing to, and make them join a server. I remember so much on Oculus in Marvel's Powers United, stucked to listen to those 6 years old kids joining, which i could barely understand and had to wait a few minutes in order to mute them, not to mention on Console, which more than often in games, lsot fo times turns into verbal fights, or if i'm willing to fly in peace and quiet, i simply don't join any voice chat app and fly in piece and quiet...

So for ingame chat voice, it would need a really decent module, i wouldn't much interested to join Virtual Online Aerobatics, and having eveyone talking at the same time on the same channel, with 8 people flying in formation talking to each others, then two elsewhere fighting cuz a showoff trying to impress people, flew a bit too closse to the ground and crashed into someone on the parking jusst finished his start-up and has to start all over again...

Again, that is my perspective and i do understand and respect the OP's wishes.

Edited by Doum76