Mysterious Viggen HUD waypoint circle?

Brisky

As said in the manuals and in the training mission, a small circle should appear on the HUD over an Mx waypoint to visually show it's position.

But this little circle isn't always there for me. Sometimes it shows up, and most of the times it doesn't. And when it doesn't, I can for the life of me not figure out how to get it to show up.

I'd kind of like to harness the power of this little circle, as it sounds incredibly usefull for visually updating target waypoints for things that don't show up on the radar screen all that much.

So am I just stupid and there a few things that I missed in the manual, or?

Perhaps you are referring to the circle that indicates the target location? ... it shows up only on ANF mode and only for Mx target-points, not for way-points.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The waypoint doesnt have to be M-point, it can be any type of waypoint. The ring disappears in many modes when you set trigger unsafe. It is also never displayed at the same time as the flight path vector or the steering order indication (because its the same symbol but used differently). Without knowing what types of mode and weapons you are talking about its not easy to help.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Oh, no, That actually totally makes sense for me now!

I'm trying to do this with the BK90, but with that the HUD shows the standard nav symbology with the flight path indicator, so it doesn't show up.

So, is there any way I can get the waypoint indicator to show up whilst carrying BK90's? Because there are scenarios where it's a huge pain to use the radar to update target waypoints. :I

Not that I know of. The Bk90 where sort of a afterthought on the Viggen. It seems to have been updating through radar or just no update that was the two ways it was intended to be delivered. You can however use the HUD indication to correct visually by using radar (A1) and make fixes only in bearing (left right with radar stick) til the symbology is over the target.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

After hours of trying, it seems like the BK-90 was intended to be used without updates.

Waypoints updated via the ground radar just seem to be nowhere near accurate enough to land a weapon near the target, whereas a manually entered waypoint over a known target's position is always spot-on.

After a quick bit of reading up, it seems like it makes sense that the BK was an afterthought, though.

It was said to be underdeveloped, and most Swedes didn't exactly buy the excuse of "Don't worry, it's a sub-munitions dispenser not a cluster bomb!", as the Swedish weren't a huge fan of cluster-bombs as they were notorious for leaving behind unexploded ordnance that, given that Sweden is a neutral country, would, if ever being used, end up on Swedish soil.

Thanks for the help, though!

Edited by Brisky