OT: Photos from Biggin Hill airshow 2nd/3rd June

Just a random selection of shots (about 2.5Mb's worth) from the weekend which have been hacked about a bit with Picassa's crude editing.

The line up was probably more interesting than my selection shows, with a good attempt at an RAF combat role display as the show's set piece, and up to 10 WW1 aircraft in the air at once (not very photogenic, but very impressive to witness). But me and my Pentax K100D made quite mess of many shots. The guys with their massive Canon lenses probably got some better results. Still, throwing away the lousy shots is a lot cheaper now than in my film days. :-)

http://www.andrew.mcp.dsl.pipex.com/bh07/bh07.htm

Andrew McP

PS. Working nights I wasn't sure I'd get there, but in the end I went and enjoyed Saturday enough to go again on Sunday for a few hours (it's only an hour away by public transport). My only disappointment was not getting wet... you get much better photos in damp conditions. :-) And of course I'd have swapped everything I saw for the sight of a single Su-27, but it's been a few years, sadly, since Biggin had a visit from a Flanker.

• Like 1

Interesting shots there. is Biggin Hill the place with the bucanner that wasn't allowed to take off? They ran it down the runway a few times then put it away. I've heard of the place and think I might have been but I can't picture it.

If I have it certainly didn't have anything as dramatic as your pictures. I didn't think any UK airshows used live ordnance either.

Probably the 2 greatest fighter planes of all time :thumbup: :

ef1.JPG

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Interesting shots there. is Biggin Hill the place with the bucanner that wasn't allowed to take off? They ran it down the runway a few times then put it away.

Not at Biggin. I think there's a Spitfire based there, but otherwise it's a small commercial airport. You might be thinking about one of the Vulcan projects, and I believe that aircraft may actually make it into the sky this year. If it does it'll be superb.

I didn't think any UK airshows used live ordnance either.

They don't, these were planted on the ground and fired off at the appropriate moment. I was quite amazed when the first one went back, and even more amazed when another went off and the pressure wave swept across the crowd. I believe this demonstration of airforce operations is going to be shown at several UK airshows this year. Hopefully they'll tweak it a little, because although it's a great idea, it doesn't quite work as a whole. 10 out of 10 for effort though.

Andrew McP

Nice shots! I've never seen the Red Arrows' date=' but it looks like they put on a great show.[/quote']

The Reds are never anything less than very impressive indeed. However it's so easy to take good pictures of their displays that it always feels like taking candy from a baby. No challenge at all. :-)

I also like the Heritage/Legacy flight shot with the Typhoon and Spitfire.

The surpising thing was that the Eurofighter is quieter at low speed than the Spitfire. Which is just as well, because the Spitfire makes one of the best noises on the planet.

There are plenty more (and many better) pictures appearing here...

http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=10

...which looks like a good resource for anyone interested in the UK airshow scene.

Andrew McP

you've come up with some great 'moody' shots of the reds there!

A polarizing filter and the "I'm feeling lucky" button in Picassa have a lot to answer for. :-) Some of those shots are a little over the top, but I've always been a fan of clouds, and the man-made ones can be just as dramatic as the real thing.

Andrew McP

Not at Biggin. I think there's a Spitfire based there, but otherwise it's a small commercial airport. You might be thinking about one of the Vulcan projects, and I believe that aircraft may actually make it into the sky this year. If it does it'll be superb.

They don't, these were planted on the ground and fired off at the appropriate moment. I was quite amazed when the first one went back, and even more amazed when another went off and the pressure wave swept across the crowd. I believe this demonstration of airforce operations is going to be shown at several UK airshows this year. Hopefully they'll tweak it a little, because although it's a great idea, it doesn't quite work as a whole. 10 out of 10 for effort though.

Andrew McP

No it was definitley a bucaneer. Is Biggin the place where upon entry to the Airport you must cross the end of the runway by car, and there is a set of traffic lights to stop traffic when aircraft take off/land?

I will never forget seeing this paint scheme before:

yn0wwu.jpg

though it is no proof that it was the same 'show as a plane can easily move from place to place as we all know :D

Nice shots! I've never seen the Red Arrows' date=' but it looks like they put on a great show. I also like the Heritage/Legacy flight shot with the Typhoon and Spitfire.[/quote']

red arrows > blue angels, thunder birds, whatever the Russians are called

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]