Blurry Night Vision Goggles

Gault05

The vision on the goggles are blurred when using at night to start and maintain the Hornet cockpit systems. The only way to even clear some of the effect is to zoom in all the way, but I don't really want to do that. Is this fixable, a real-life equivalent, or does it need to be corrected be ED?

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai

i believe its a focal length thing... nvg cannot focus that close. use flashlight... get your battery on and spool up your interior lights.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

So apparently we don't have the auto focusing NVGs for some reason

Because they're not used in reality either...

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

They most definitely are.

Not on fast jets. Focus set to infinity in the bay and no pilot I’ve ever known has adjusted it in in use. You look under the Google’s to view the cockpit displays, not through them.

PVS-14 are rather old, and quite poor monocular NVDs for ground types. The binocular NVDs we give fast jet aircrew are considerably better (and more expensive), although a bit less hardy. We’re slowly moving away from clip on NVDs to systems integrated into the helmet as well. And they don’t even have a option to be focused.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Not on fast jets. Focus set to infinity in the bay and no pilot I’ve ever known has adjusted it in in use. You look under the Google’s to view the cockpit displays, not through them.

PVS-14 are rather old, and quite poor monocular NVDs for ground types. The binocular NVDs we give fast jet aircrew are considerably better (and more expensive), although a bit less hardy. We’re slowly moving away from clip on NVDs to systems integrated into the helmet as well. And they don’t even have a option to be focused.

Well we have auto focusing NVGs on CF-18's you can read the instruments and see the outside. It has a leaky green filter to allow the green light from the nvg mode of the internal lights to be seen.

Other than the fact that 14’s are monocular, there is no difference in the clarity as compared to PVS15’s or similar nvg’s after extensive use of both.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Well we have auto focusing NVGs on CF-18's

Could you share the make/model of these NoDs? I have never seen anything suitable for operational flying use that incorporates autofocus so I would be interested to read up.

When you are looking through the canopy how does it know if you want to focus on the building/target/ect three miles away or the smashed bug on the windscreen you hit during takeoff?

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

So apparently we don't have the auto focusing NVGs for some reason , seems like a waste to have the nvg capable cockpit and it's useless, NVGs used to be awesome until they updated em can't stand em now.

autofocus don't exist in that gen of NVG's

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

You can focus on objects a few inches away with PVS-14s. Don't see why we shouldn't be able to in game, depending on the device used.

Anybody know what NVDs hornet pilots use?

you have to do it MANUALLY

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Other than the fact that 14’s are monocular, there is no difference in the clarity as compared to PVS15’s or similar nvg’s after extensive use of both.

exactly. the PVS-14s refers to the housing. what matters is what tube you have in there. And it can vary a lot.

I currently use a OMNI VII tube in a mum-14

Edited by FZG_Immel

exactly. the PVS-14s refers to the housing. what matters is what tube you have in there. And it can vary a lot.

I currently use a OMNI VII tube in a mum-14

The only point I’m making is that the difference between the two in clarity is not noticeable. The biggest thing is that the 15’s are dual. It’s not a big deal really.

As far as people complaining about focusing in on the instruments, it’s already been mentioned but I’ll repeat it...in reality you are looking beneath the nods to view instruments, not through the nvg’s themselves

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Could you share the make/model of these NoDs? I have never seen anything suitable for operational flying use that incorporates autofocus so I would be interested to read up.

When you are looking through the canopy how does it know if you want to focus on the building/target/ect three miles away or the smashed bug on the windscreen you hit during takeoff?

Sorry but I can't say the model but they are fully FAA compliant.

Sorry but I can't say the model but they are fully FAA compliant.

I guess I'm not sure why the FAA would be concerned with what Canada does with their military aircraft does but okay.

This thread comes up over and over with someone claiming autofocus NVGs that let you look right through them at the gauges and can somehow focus through a canopy at distant objects without causing massive focus issues/eye strain/latency/ect are being used. Then the members of the community who currently or in the past have used NoDs to earn a living explain their side. But never once has anyone provided any documentation showing operational use of such autofocus goggles.

Not that any of this matters anyway, since our vintage F18 would have been using NoDs that operate just as Eddie and Sniper have already described. I'm not trying to be a jerk by calling you out Ace, I just wish we could definitively answer this question so as to have a thread to link to when this comes up (again).

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I guess I'm not sure why the FAA would be concerned with what Canada does with their military aircraft does but okay.

This thread comes up over and over with someone claiming autofocus NVGs that let you look right through them at the gauges and can somehow focus through a canopy at distant objects without causing massive focus issues/eye strain/latency/ect are being used. Then the members of the community who currently or in the past have used NoDs to earn a living explain their side. But never once has anyone provided any documentation showing operational use of such autofocus goggles.

Not that any of this matters anyway, since our vintage F18 would have been using NoDs that operate just as Eddie and Sniper have already described. I'm not trying to be a jerk by calling you out Ace, I just wish we could definitively answer this question so as to have a thread to link to when this comes up (again).

I'm fine with having things as in real life. Having said that I have a request as a VR user:

Is it possible to have an "offset option" in the UI so as too move the NVG slightly up, so there is actually some room to look below the googles as some poster already said? Right now at least in VR the NVG takes the whole FOV, requireing turning it on and off constantly. Only with some room below would be more than enough to read some gauges or DDIs.

PD: I'm talking about the A10C NVG here, perhaps they are implemented different in the hornet... I will check that today.