Airport Landing Lights ?

4eyes

I am learning the DCS 2.5 Su-25T. I am coming from Xplane 11. I don't see any daytime landing Lights , Beacon Lights, or Tower Lights on any of the Airports. How do I turn them on? I am 67 years old, and I need all the help I can get spotting the Airports.

Thanks,

Dave

I am coming from Xplane 11.

Expect a huge let down/downgrade in terms of any type of ground lighting in DCS. DCS just currently/permanently has terrible object/ground lighting. Not anywhere close to what you are used too. I wish they/ED felt it mattered to improve them but doesn't seem to be on any list to be improved.

Expect a huge let down/downgrade in terms of any type of ground lighting in DCS. DCS just currently/permanently has terrible object/ground lighting. Not anywhere close to what you are used too. I wish they/ED felt it mattered to improve them but doesn't seem to be on any list to be improved.

DCS has been developing airports for how many years?

I find this hard to believe. :(

Its down to priorities, and right now there are other issues which have priority.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Runway lights system completely wrong . They are lit when tower gives permission to land . after landing they are turned off . This happens with carrier too

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

DCS has been developing airports for how many years?

I find this hard to believe. :(

DCS is not a civil aviation sim. It's 99.9% focused on 'very realistic combat aircraft with fully simulated systems'. ATC, 'civil traffic', etc is very tacked on at this point. It's a combat sim first and foremost. It is not FSX or Xplane.

@Torso

Then you aren't looking very close, because they've mentioned repeatedly they are overhauling ATC for both airports and carriers, especially the last few months.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

@Torso

Then you aren't looking very close, because they've mentioned repeatedly they are overhauling ATC for both airports and carriers, especially the last few months.

Oh I am very aware of what has been said. I keep up. I also know what to expect because I keep up. I just don't think their current engine allows for some of the things that would improve those areas lacking. It just was not designed with certain things in mind or even considered as important when it was created...like object lighting, ground/night lighting..etc.

DCS is not a civil aviation sim. It's 99.9% focused on 'very realistic combat aircraft with fully simulated systems'. ATC, 'civil traffic', etc is very tacked on at this point. It's a combat sim first and foremost. It is not FSX or Xplane.

That does not matter , it is a FLIGHT SIMULATOR.

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

no sense at all. combat planes also need runway lights and proper atc . you have fully detailed combat plane but you can not see the runway or contacting with a dumb atc

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I was under the impression that DCS was a Flight Simulator. A basic Flight Simulator should have Airport and Tower Lights. Even a Beacon light. Enemy aircraft approaching? Then turn them off.

An individual should have the right to fly any military aircraft in "peace time". With airport lights. In times of peace, real Military Airfields have lights and beacons on.

Is this a Flight Simulator or just another first person shoot-em up and bomb bomb?

@Torso

And still, in the military aviation airports I was (and still am) working on at least the Beacon on the Tower was turned on as long as the Airport was „Open“ and his control zone active.

vCVW-17 / VF-74

I was under the impression that DCS was a Flight Simulator.

I've always been under the impression that a certain well-known competitor was a flight simulator. Yet it models propeller airflow over the wings/fuselage completely wrong while taxiing, a fact that has AFAIK been acknowledged by the developers. So what exactly is your point?

Every major sim has its shortcomings and omissions. Just deal with it and get on with your life.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Your thread will probably be deleted/closed since it compares DCS to another game. But, I agree with the lighting being lacking, it's something they have adjusted but can't seem to get right, maybe a limitation of the engine?

It's being done in the other Flight Simulators. Why not DCS?:(

It's being done in the other Flight Simulators. Why not DCS?:(

Because those in charge of DCS dev did not think anyone would actually ever try or want to fly at night in DCS. So, they did not take into consideration what would make night time env actually useful, let alone just 'correct'. As a result, their engine cannot handle night time lighting and other aspects that actually make it functional. This is why they are just using textures in place of lights. All the lit up ground at night is just different colored textures. This is why when a object is directly under a light at an airport, the object does not get lit up. There is no light, it is just bright textures, which cannot have an effect on surrounding objects.

When the DCS engine was being designed they simply did not envision users actually wanting to fly at night when you can fly at the golden screenshot times of Sunset and Sunrise. Maybe on the next iteration of the DCS engine someone with pull at ED will actually influence it's direction to actually be able to do night time decently and make an effort to catch up to others in the genre. I been on this issue since I 1st launched DCS so many years ago. I hope one day they can do it.

Because those in charge of DCS dev did not think anyone would actually ever try or want to fly at night in DCS. So, they did not take into consideration what would make night time env actually useful, let alone just 'correct'. As a result, their engine cannot handle night time lighting and other aspects that actually make it functional. This is why they are just using textures in place of lights. All the lit up ground at night is just different colored textures. This is why when a object is directly under a light at an airport, the object does not get lit up. There is no light, it is just bright textures, which cannot have an effect on surrounding objects.

When the DCS engine was being designed they simply did not envision users actually wanting to fly at night when you can fly at the golden screenshot times of Sunset and Sunrise. Maybe on the next iteration of the DCS engine someone with pull at ED will actually influence it's direction to actually be able to do night time decently and make an effort to catch up to others in the genre. I been on this issue since I 1st launched DCS so many years ago. I hope one day they can do it.

You make a lot of assumptions as to the developers intent here with little to no actual facts to back it up. The lack of working ramp lights is known to the devs and will be worked on. ALL the light sources in the sim need reworking since going over to PBR and this is a non-trivial thing.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

You make a lot of assumptions as to the developers intent here with little to no actual facts to back it up. The lack of working ramp lights is known to the devs and will be worked on. ALL the light sources in the sim need reworking since going over to PBR and this is a non-trivial thing.

Actually, the sim env itself is the 'facts' that back it up. Also, the statements made previously by ED staff that they just can't do it. The engine itself is the issue. It just cannot do what other engines of the genre can do when it comes to night lighting/env. Those engines were designed with night lighting as a consideration when they were being created. DCS's was not, and any 'fixes' are retro attempts to address that which was overlooked when it was designed. Do you think the guys at ED that handle env dev are also tasked with plane module dev? A guy who does asset modelling or texture art for assets or planes system modelling most likely is not the env dev team. So, since we see so little work done on the env, what do you think they are spending their time doing? I mean we have had blue fog in the sim for how many months now? The env team is too busy to fix that low hanging fruit? I think those kind of issues and how they get addressed or don't as is the case speak volumes to ability or focus of the team in charge of DCS world env.

Let's do some simple math. Lets say, ED has just 1 employee that handles DCS's env. Lets assume they are a full time employee working 40hrs a week(in software..ha, I tend to see more but we will keep it to 40hrs) and not splitting their time on other DCS related jobs. That is 160hrs dev time a month.. Do you think we see any results of that time? What are the tangible visible results of that time per month? I just don't see it myself. Which means what?

Edited by Torso

So, since we see so little work done on the env, what do you think they are spending their time doing?

Now, I do see the point of some lighting issues being somewhat intrinsic to the engine and rather hard to tackle, but still I can't quite agree with the implication that this year saw little work on the environment.

I can't quite agree with the implication that this year saw little work on the environment.

Other than the initial passes to address the lack of moonlighting when 2.5 was pushed out, which only happened because they were getting railed for it, and changing the fog from yellow to blue, what env work have we seen in the last 6 months? Please, point some of this work out.

Of course. There have been, for example, quite some additions to the Persian Gulf map including more airfields and additional assets in the city.

Uhh, this is not at all what we are talking about. We are talking about the world env, meaning Sun, Earth, Sea, Moon, Sky, Stars, LIGHTING(as is being discussed here)..etc. Not the models using or affected by them, though their behaviors on the models matters. Model assets are not an issue for ED, other than the time it takes to push them out. Proper airport or carrier or city or object lighting is not the same as a model asset dropped onto a map.

Edited by Torso