How to use 3-position switch on HOTAS for three aircraft modes?

Hello everyone,

I have a HOTAS Cougar with a 3-position (SPDT, on-off-on) switch on the throttle called the Dogfight switch. I want to use the switch to select BVR, NAV, and WVR modes on the Su-27 and MiG-29 modules, but since the center position is off, it doesn't generate a button-press function like the other two positions so I can't map it to NAV mode.

I'm using a Leo Bodnar USB interface board with my Cougar, so it's no longer programmable.

Any ideas? I've read on here that I can modify a .LUA file to do this, so I don't have to run Joy2Key or something like that. I'm pretty sure someone has done this already and it isn't even that hard. I just don't know how :)

Thanks!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

It's not hard depending on if you have any programing/scripting experience or not. If modifying LUA scripts is not for you, joy2key and other programs that can do this outside of DCS. For example, AutoHotKey allows you to create simple macros that allow you to map three unique functions to On-off-On SPDT swtiches:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2884956&postcount=224

Considering the latest keyboard bindings issue, I may just bite the bullet and create AutoHotKey macros that give keyboard commands when switches are thrown.

But for LUA script modification techniques See:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2893725&postcount=104

The above link has examples of how it can be done via LUA script and has a great example of maping Master Arm when it's up, SAFE when its OFF and TRAIN when its ON (using SPDT switch)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2894628#post2894628

This one goes into it a bit more

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's not hard depending on if you have any programing/scripting experience or not. If modifying LUA scripts is not for you, joy2key and other programs that can do this outside of DCS. For example, AutoHotKey allows you to create simple macros that allow you to map three unique functions to On-off-On SPDT swtiches:

This one goes into it a bit more

Awesome, thanks so much for posting this, Imma use Joy2Key for now because it does work well. I'll probably look into this again eventually, I really can't believe that a sim of this caliber doesn't have functions like this built right into the software itself. Lots of flight sticks & throttles (homebuilt or otherwise) have SPDT switches, and it seems obvious to me that Mode switches will have a center position that should activate a Safe mode or Nav mode when centered, releasing the mode it used to be in (cancel function, like releasing a button that was held down).

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Awesome, thanks so much for posting this, Imma use Joy2Key for now because it does work well. I'll probably look into this again eventually, I really can't believe that a sim of this caliber doesn't have functions like this built right into the software itself. Lots of flight sticks & throttles (homebuilt or otherwise) have SPDT switches, and it seems obvious to me that Mode switches will have a center position that should activate a Safe mode or Nav mode when centered, releasing the mode it used to be in (cancel function, like releasing a button that was held down).

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Well, to be fair, it is supported. A10 flaps, auto/pilot for example. Some 3rd party devs have implemented it, and others haven't. For those who haven't implemented it ,you can modify the lua yourself.

But I agree that ED should make it mandatory and easier to program from within the game setup. I think that's what the whole keyboard binding kerfuffle was all about (I'm speculating)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1