How much?!?!?!

brettt777

The reality is that only two people can say what a fair price is. The buyer and the seller. Takes two to tango. If the buyer thinks the price is unfairly high, he doesn't buy it. Even if someone else thinks the price is too low, that doesn't mean the other buyer is wrong. For me, right now, $70 isn't a big deal. For some folks, it is. Neither of us is right or worng about the pricing.

I will say they are reaching the upper limit of what I'm willing to pay for a module unless it includes compelling content. The F-14 is not a must but for me, but the campaigns and multiplayer pushed it over the hump. Having said that, the price is a concern for others that I would fly with. A lower price would have meant more sales thus more of my friends to fly with. If it was any higher some guys may not have bought it, and that would have meant I wouldn't buy it.

Going forward, modules like the F16 or Strike Eagle will need to be significantly cheaper for me to consider tbem. $70 isn't bad for a module I really want (F-4 please) but for a module I'm not really into it's just not going to happen without some other compelling add on.

Edited by BottledViolence

I think considering how much time and effort they put into it that it is certainly well worth that price. I'm sure they probably exceed military sim standards at this point. I've done a lot of programming and the physics & math involved alone is a pain, plus integrating that into so many other functions and modules and coming out with something that resembles the real thing, super difficult.

I think DCS is the only sim where I've dumped multiple thousands into it, but in the end it is worth it if you're after the best sim experience anywhere. I'm just glad someone else also has the passion and talent to bring this type of thing to the public. Thanks guys!

Just picked up a 2080 Ti to replace my SLI 970 GTX's just to make sure the F-14A/B module runs well. Running a Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz on all cores, 16 GB DDR4, and have DCS installed on a 240GB Optane module to make sure it loads quickly. I'm not entirely sure it will be enough though. Hopefully I'll be replacing my Oculus Rift with the PiMax 8K soon. Been waiting to fly the F-14 since I was a kid back in the 80's, might as well do it right (or try my best).

Devs: Have you tested the F-14 on an 8K PiMax yet with a 2080 Ti? Are you able to maintain roughly more than 100 fps+ with the highest settings? Maybe DCS World going to the Vulkan API would help as well, it made a *massive* difference (80%+) in Doom (2016) for me on the 2080 Ti, not a huge difference on the 970's for some reason.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work. Can't wait! Ahh!!!

I think considering how much time and effort they put into it that it is certainly well worth that price. I'm sure they probably exceed military sim standards at this point. I've done a lot of programming and the physics & math involved alone is a pain, plus integrating that into so many other functions and modules and coming out with something that resembles the real thing, super difficult.

I think DCS is the only sim where I've dumped multiple thousands into it, but in the end it is worth it if you're after the best sim experience anywhere. I'm just glad someone else also has the passion and talent to bring this type of thing to the public. Thanks guys!

Just picked up a 2080 Ti to replace my SLI 970 GTX's just to make sure the F-14A/B module runs well. Running a Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz on all cores, 16 GB DDR4, and have DCS installed on a 240GB Optane module to make sure it loads quickly. I'm not entirely sure it will be enough though. Hopefully I'll be replacing my Oculus Rift with the PiMax 8K soon. Been waiting to fly the F-14 since I was a kid back in the 80's, might as well do it right (or try my best).

Devs: Have you tested the F-14 on an 8K PiMax yet with a 2080 Ti? Are you able to maintain roughly more than 100 fps+ with the highest settings? Maybe DCS World going to the Vulkan API would help as well, it made a *massive* difference (80%+) in Doom (2016) for me on the 2080 Ti, not a huge difference on the 970's for some reason.

Please not even in the same race as me.

System: AMD Phenom IIx4 965 cpu, 12 gig of DDR3 ram, AMD Radeon HD 7970 gpu, Thrustmaster T-flight hotas with no TrackIR (my pc would melt with it i think anyway)

Fear my 30fps (everything on Low, do miss 1.5 it did run "ok" on that).

Still got the F-14 though, i wont be doing any MP or campaigns with her but i can fly...and it's not to bad once you get high enough.

This product is under priced...I have to find the scratch to replace my track IR so I ain’t complaining but in the abstract it’s worth twice.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

This product is under priced...I have to find the scratch to replace my track IR so I ain’t complaining but in the abstract it’s worth twice.

To keep yourself happy. Buy two and give one to a friend. There you go..........twice.

Buzz

Be happy you never got into FSX... I have about 6000 wrapped up into that sim that I no longer play...

Oh god... Don't remind me :cry:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Be happy you never got into FSX... I have about 6000 wrapped up into that sim that I no longer play...

Never moved to p3d? V4 the 64 bit is very nice.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

The reality is that only two people can say what a fair price is. The buyer and the seller. Takes two to tango. If the buyer thinks the price is unfairly high, he doesn't buy it. Even if someone else thinks the price is too low, that doesn't mean the other buyer is wrong. For me, right now, $70 isn't a big deal. For some folks, it is. Neither of us is right or worng about the pricing.

I will say they are reaching the upper limit of what I'm willing to pay for a module unless it includes compelling content. The F-14 is not a must but for me, but the campaigns and multiplayer pushed it over the hump. Having said that, the price is a concern for others that I would fly with. A lower price would have meant more sales thus more of my friends to fly with. If it was any higher some guys may not have bought it, and that would have meant I wouldn't buy it.

Going forward, modules like the F16 or Strike Eagle will need to be significantly cheaper for me to consider tbem. $70 isn't bad for a module I really want (F-4 please) but for a module I'm not really into it's just not going to happen without some other compelling add on.

Wait for a sale then if it’s not a module you’re crazy about having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

You’ll be very CPU limited on DCS running at 4.0ghz with a 2080Ti. My CPU at 4.7ghz is a bottleneck to my 1080Ti. Just a heads up to keep an eye on that, you may want to bump that up as soon as reasonably possible.

Also, there’s no shot in hell of achieving those FPS in the 8K (nor the Rift or any other Gen 1 HMD...you’re currently lucky to get 30-45FPS in the Rift in the more demanding MP servers, with a top rig). Watch the Swiviver YouTube review playing DCS below, you’ll be lucky to get 30-40FPS with bare bones setting in SP (he says “often less than 30”), expect about half of that in MP. That’s with the current code though, Vulkan would help...though probably not to the extent of 100FPS. You’ll need to be reasonable on these expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Not all aircraft are for everybody... my interest in DCS is the "high fidelity" because it's the closest I will ever get to flying the real thing; so for me the type of aircraft does not matter; will I use it sometimes or not at all does not matter; knowing that I can pull any of them out of the hangar and re-master them anytime I want is what gives me my fix. Do cigarette smokers complain about the price of a carton of cigarette? you bet your ass but will they stop smoking because of it? HELL NO. It's like saying "Marlboro is 2 dollars more than Camel therefore I won't buy Marlboro"... good for you but somebody else will.

Not all aircraft are for everybody... my interest in DCS is the "high fidelity" because it's the closest I will ever get to flying the real thing; so for me the type of aircraft does not matter; will I use it sometimes or not at all does not matter; knowing that I can pull any of them out of the hangar and re-master them anytime I want is what gives me my fix.

That's the same with me. Most often I am much more into the experience of PFM flight than delivering any weapons. With DCS, I get great joy from doing the very basic - that is, take offs, patterns, and landings (and those landings I actual do enjoy the most).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I've been flying the Aerosoft Tomcat in FSX because that's where my Tacpack license is.

So yeah...yeah...

6000 dollars? How's that?

Had a lot of joy from Aerosoft F-14X for FSX, but eventually got a bit tired as:

- naturally it isn't combat oriented;

- low altittude flights over Manhattan and such heavily urbanized areas caused some pontual stutters;

- the Aerosoft F-14 although very good in general, lacked some avionics features, i.e. AIM-9 Sidewinder employment modes - "universal arcadish" point and shoot feature, no SCAN modes whatsoever etc.

But regarding things like TACAN, and AWG-9 radar modes and functions was very detailed though.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

One aspect people missed is that much of the value in the module comes from the core platform itself. If you cannot employ the aircraft in meaningful scenarios and against other players after you (hopefully) learn it eventually, the gaming experience is not there. It's something I'd like ED to address but it seems the focus nowadays is getting new sales and revenue by pushing out more and more modules.

Actually if you look at DCS today you can see that ED has done a splendid job with performance and visuals, much more than what people usually give any credit for. It's the combined arms, multiplayer, mission editor and dynamic campaign aspects where they need more work to be able to provide competitive value for computer gamers.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

It's the combined arms, multiplayer, mission editor and dynamic campaign aspects where they need more work to be able to provide competitive value for computer gamers.

I agree, but ED are working on it. Wags has mentioned single player and multiplayer dynamic campaigns many times in interviews etc when discussing the future of DCS. So I think they understand where they need to go. Remember they have just spent a LOT of money updating things to 2.5, remaking Caucasus, and generally improving the core of the sim which they don't get any direct money from so I don't fault them putting some of their coders to work on high profile modules like the F-18 and the upcoming F-16 for a while. Its a reality that its the aircraft and the places you can fly them that will bring a lot of people to the sim in the first place. The F-18 will bring around changes to the core sim as well, updated thermal imaging rendering, AG radar technology etc etc which are definitely building blocks that will be useful going forwards. On top of that we have Vulkan API integration which will hopefully make better use of the available hardware we have and make massive dynamic campaign scenarios more viable from a performance standpoint then maybe they are now. But anyway, just my 2 cents.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yep in the same boat here! I also moved over to X-Plane for GA flying but barely use it at all now. Only flying I do is in VR with DCS and IL2 - but the sim-rig is back in driving sim setup at the moment to get some laps in before the F-14 gets released and I don't drive another lap for ages! Figure I have plenty of time for racing till it finally gets released :music_whistling:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]