Thank you

Pizzicato

I don't know how this is going to come across, but I just want to say a huge, genuine, and unreserved "Thank you!" to everyone involved with DCS World.

I've been obsessed with military aviation ever since I was a kid, and I've obsessive played pretty much anything that looked even vaguely like a flight sim ever since the early 1980's. I never dreamed 35 years ago that I'd ever get to experience anything like DCS in my lifetime.

More recently - and more personally - I've reached a strange point in my life where I've struggled with mental health issues. I spent the whole of last year suffering badly with depression and anxiety, and spent the early months of this year struggling with suicidal thoughts. I eventually got to the point where I did something I'd always sworn I'd never do, and started taking anti-anxiety and anti-depression drugs to help get me through the day.

It's been incredibly difficult and grim.

I'm off the medication now, but I'm still finding life a serious struggle at the moment.

Tonight, however, I took the Hornet out for a spin. I've been flying it since Day One, but something really clicked tonight. I did the late-dusk "Free Flight" quick mission over Nevada, and I was there. I was flying in VR with the Warthog, MFG rudders, and Monstertech table mounts and it all just clicked. It's incredibly hard to articulate, but it all just felt so convincing and immersive and real.

The immersion of VR.

The play of the sunset around the cockpit.

The perfect material response from the PBR.

The firm, tangible response of the cockpit switches.

The shadows lengthening across the mountains.

The civilian vehicles making their way through the perfectly lit towns and cities.

Just for an hour or so in the dying twilight over the Nevada desert I was happy and at peace in a way that I haven't been in over a year and a half. I can't begin to put into words what that means to me.

Maybe it's sad, embarrassing, stupid or lame.

Maybe some of you will shake your heads, say WTF and laugh at me.

Whatever.

It's all good.

The important thing is that DCS really moved me tonight. Just for an hour or so, it changed my life. Seriously. It changed my life.

I'm back in the real world now, but I'm so grateful for what I just enjoyed.

So whatever anyone else thinks of me, I just want to say a huge "Thanks" to ED and the DCS crew. You genuinely made a difference to someone's life tonight, and it's not often you ever get to say that. I hope that means something to you guys.

Please feel free to share this with the team.

Matt

Edited by Pizzicato

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Nice one Pizzicato,

I too very much enjoy coming home and go on a relaxing flight in DCS on screen or in VR or if I want to let off some steam, setup a battle.:) It still blows me away what we can do now in this sims.

The tech is just cRazy cool...

I'm quite sure everyone at ED very much likes to hear these types of stories coming from the community, it's part of what helps them drive this sim forward.

Keep your chin up Pizzicato:thumbup:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Oh hello no. Its strong, very strong. You have admitted there is a problem, and you have the guts to do so, and take up the fight, which is a really tough one. Doesnt matter if counting ants or flying DCS makes you happy, as long as there is something that makes you happy.

Now abuse it and fly Matt, fly :thumbup:.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Cheers Pizzicato, that is one courageous post.

I also want to wholeheartedly express my agreement with this:

I don't know how this is going to come across, but I just want to say a huge, genuine, and unreserved "Thank you!" to everyone involved with DCS World.

It truly is a great work. Aint nothing like it.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

No one here will say it´s stupid.

I, and i´m sure allmost all in this forum, admit that DCS World is the best you can have in military flight sim. My last "Click" moment..with the Mi-8 over Dubai. In VR. AWESOME!

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

Me neither,.. Wait. :thumbup:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3234473&postcount=1

:D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hi Pizzicato, its good you wrote that post, nice to know about other peoples experience, hope you find the strength everyday to keep on going, never give up, there is always something that fills our heart or mind, we just have to find it. In my case DCS World is my anti-stress drug, I don't need to medicate myself when I am diagnosed with stress or anxiety I simply take a sessions of DCS. New modules and Campaigns mean for me new goals and endless hours of anti-stress medicine :)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

WOW! Been flying sims since 1979...(Text Based). Also suffering from anxiety and depression!!:badmood:

Spent thousands on FSX and P3D...chasing the Dragon!

Matt how do you spell PROZAK?...F L Y I N G. A series of "F's" in life, such as family...friends...fig newtons...etc.!

DCS excels any expectations I thought existed and reveals my inner child dreaming of flight. Keep flying...hang on and splendid skies...

Truly, Greg

What a nice summary of how DCS (and its fidelity) moves most of us.

It's an incredible experience, and when it is able to pull you away from real life for a while and immerse you in something greater, then something magical has been achieved.

That said, we all need these magic moments in our lives now and then. It's fantastic when such a beautiful hobby is able to do that for us!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Wonderful post, Pizzicato!

Just for an hour or so in the dying twilight over the Nevada desert I was happy and at peace in a way that I haven't been in over a year and a half. I can't begin to put into words what that means to me.

One of Marcel Proust's central ideas was that love, youth, health, prosperity etc etc can come and go, but Art stays with us till the end, Art is the true salvation. Art in a general sense of the term - not just painting and sculpture, but pursuits that may appear trivial and pointless to an outside onlooker while being dear and deeply involving to us. History of aviation with all its facets (including the DCS masterpiece) is a fantastic example too. Enjoy and "keep on painting"!:smilewink: