Pop-up points not working

rainyday

Pop-up points are not working for me. They are added - but are exactly the same as target point. Here's my procedure:

>Load cartridge

>REF/LOLA IN - 9099 - LS/SKU

>TAKT IN - 9 - B3

>TAKT IN - 300110 - B3

Result is that I have pop up point added (U3) - but it's in the same location as target waypoint (M3).

Caucasus map, single player, stable version. I've seen no other mentions about it which makes me doubt my procedures - but I've tried different variations, read through the manual many times and the pop up points have been working ok for me few months back.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Northwest in this occasion.

Erm ... I think the right way would be to approach from the south east, if you enter 300110.

Read the manual here, it says:

"Popup waypoints are set by a heading (in degrees) and distance (in kilometres) from the pop-up point to the target point. The input is entered by pressing the waypoint button corresponding to the target waypoint."

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

From what direction do you approach the target?

Erm ... I think the right way would be to approach from the south east, if you enter 300110.

Oh sorry - I misunderstood RagnarDa's question. I approach from whatever direction my previous waypoint is no matter the Pop Up point - because Pop Up Point = Target Point for me. They are in the exact same location. It's like it doesn't calculate the distance to the Pop Up point at all.

There is a "lenient" switching logic from pop up point to target point where it only needed to be closer to the target than the popup point. I probably at one point figured it would be better to have it this way since you'd dont want to be chasing the popup point when in high speed ingress to the target. I guess this confuses people who want to have the pop up point on the other side of the target, so I changed it now to be like any ordinary waypoint switching (<3km and +/- 90 degrees). I am not sure this is the problem you are having rainyday, maybe you could provide a track?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

There is a "lenient" switching logic from pop up point to target point where it only needed to be closer to the target than the popup point. I probably at one point figured it would be better to have it this way since you'd dont want to be chasing the popup point when in high speed ingress to the target. I guess this confuses people who want to have the pop up point on the other side of the target, so I changed it now to be like any ordinary waypoint switching (<3km and +/- 90 degrees). I am not sure this is the problem you are having rainyday, maybe you could provide a track?

I think he just came from the wrond direction induced by his mis-understanding ... IMHO :D

Having a Pop-up point BEHIND a target sounds like nonsens to me. Time for AAA to wake up and make their job in case they missed the first run :smartass:

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

I think he just came from the wrond direction induced by his mis-understanding ... IMHO :D

Having a Pop-up point BEHIND a target sounds like nonsens to me. Time for AAA to wake up and make their job in case they missed the first run :smartass:

I'm just struggling to get my point across as it seems... :cry: The direction is irrelevant. I've tried different numbers. I've tried 350, 330, 300, 175, 90, 45 and 30. I get that if I try to make a pop up point at the another side of the target point is silly - but I didn't read about any limitations of the pop up points anywhere so I've been testing different variations. But still, it's besides the point.

What I'm saying is that when I make a target point and a pop up point - and switch between them, NOTHING changes. Distance, steering orders, hud, everything is identical whether I have chosen U or M waypoint. They are the same. They both direct me directly to the target point.

Tracks are not working for me sorry - planes are always doing something else that they were actually doing....

Here's a pic of one of the missions I've tried working with. Waypoint 2 ingress, 3 is target point, trying to make pop up point roughly on the lake, inputting 175070. Am I missing something crucial here?

popup.thumb.jpg.b473d5bc1002ff52127a26069d0c0dc9.jpg

Pop-up points not working

Are you following the commands on the HUD? The caret on the radar screen-compass will point towards the target.

Btw, direction 175 seems to be the correct heading in your picture.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Are you following the commands on the HUD? The caret on the radar screen-compass will point towards the target.

Btw, direction 175 seems to be the correct heading in your picture.

So only the hud should point towards pop up points? I take it I won't get a distance either - other than the distance bar in the hud? Or does that just show distance to the target waypoint also?

Still does not sound like the behaviour I'm getting - but I'll test some more. Thanks for your help!

Lähetetty minun EVA-L09 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

So only the hud should point towards pop up points? I take it I won't get a distance either - other than the distance bar in the hud? Or does that just show distance to the target waypoint also?

Still does not sound like the behaviour I'm getting - but I'll test some more. Thanks for your help!

Correct, only HUD shows direction to popup point, and distance is only shown in HUD.

I had a go with it yesterday, and works as described in manual.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Correct, only HUD shows direction to popup point, and distance is only shown in HUD.

I had a go with it yesterday, and works as described in manual.

Thanks, you must be right. Always learning something new about this plane...

• 3 years later...

I wanted to bump this thread as it seems this exact issue has returned, the pop-up point and the target waypoint associated with it appear to be colocated.

In this example I have a target waypoint (M3) at Sukhumi, I defined a pop-up point in TAKT as 293200 and 293100 (target point 293° and 20 km and 10 km from the pop-up point respectively), U3 appears, but in both cases, the course and distance indicator are identical for both the target point and the pop-up point, as the 2 correspond to the same location.

EDIT: This is actually correct behaviour, RTFM on my end, I'll get a track of me actually flying to them, where I'm seeing them colocated, it might however just be user error on my end (which I suspect is the case).

AJS_37_pop_point_colocated.trk

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

According to manual RC2 - and according to my understanding - the steering orders (bearing & distance) should be as follows:
ADI: U point and M point
HUD: U point and M point
CI: M point only(!)

I made a track where you can see my inputs right before take-off:
 - TAKT
 - IN
 - B2 (which is M2 because it has a time-on-target TOT defined via the mission editor)
 - OUT
 - AKT POS

After lift-off and reaching 400km/h, the waypoint B1 is selected automatically, showing the steering orders on CI, ADI, HUD.
When passing B1, the next waypoint U2 is selected automatically, showing the steering orders on ADI, HUD.
After passing U2, the M2 target point is selected automatically, showing the steering orders on CI, ADI, HUD.

Viggen_PupUp-Point_working_on_HUD_and_ADI_as_intended.trk

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

I wanted to bump this thread as it seems this exact issue has returned, the pop-up point and the target waypoint associated with it appear to be colocated.

In this example I have a target waypoint (M3) at Sukhumi, I defined a pop-up point in TAKT as 293200 and 293100 (target point 293° and 20 km and 10 km from the pop-up point respectively), U3 appears, but in both cases, the course and distance indicator are identical for both the target point and the pop-up point, as the 2 correspond to the same location.

AJS_37_pop_point_colocated.trk 89.49 kB · 1 download

This is accurate and working as expected.
You only get steering orders on the HUD and ADI/FLI. The distance indicator and the HSI bug shows distance and heading to the target itself, not the popup point.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

@TOViper @MYSE1234Thank-you both or your input, RTFM issue on my end, I'll get a track of me actually flying to the point because I swear I've recently been having issues with the pop-up point being colocated, but I'm worried it might also be user error on my end. I'll see if I can get a track.

EDIT: Yep, user error on my end :doh:

Sorry guys.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.