Thrusmaster MFD - How to...?

Whiskeybravo

I'm away from my sim PC for a few days so can't check the controls options in DCS. I'm thinking about getting a set of the TM MFD panels but was wondering how you program the buttons. I don't recall seeing OSB1, OSB2...…. etc in the DCS options pages so am I just mis-remembering it or is it a simple case of assigning MFD OSB1 to DCS OSB1 in the appropriate aircraft settings?

Thanks for any advice,

WB.

The A-10C has commands for the OSB, and the F/A-18C as well. I can't remember, but I think the A-10C automatically assigns the commands to the Cougar MFDs. The Hornet doesn't though.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The Hornet MFDs have too many extra buttons. The A-10 and Av-8 auto-assign everything, since the TM's and ingame mfds match.

Well you just saved me some money , disappointment and auto-asskicking ! Was thinking off getting these for Hornet . Thanks ! :(

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Well you just saved me some money , disappointment and auto-asskicking ! Was thinking off getting these for Hornet . Thanks ! :(

I have three MFDs and don't have any issues.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Huh?

Hornet MFD's have less buttons. The two upper MFD's don't have the rocker switches in the corners, and the bottom knobs are not very useful in game anyway, so you are free to assign those four rocker switches per MFD to something else.

I don't think there are built-in profiles for Thrustmaster MFD's, at least there were none when I did the mapping, but all the controls are there in DCS, you just assign the buttons. (Search for "Left MDI, Right MDI, Centre MDI")

Of course there are 3 MFD's in the Hornet, while there are two MFD's in Thrustmaster box, but you can even buy two kits and connect three MFD's to your PC at once. Or just map one MFD with key modifier, and switch between controlling each MFD with a single buttton.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks for replies , will check further...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks for all the replies. I realise the MFDs would be slightly different for the F18 but with 5 buttons along each side they match that way as far as OSBs are concerned. Also, I'm hoping the rocker switches on the TM MFDs will be mappable to the BRT & CONT knobs in game.

I've pulled the trigger on the MFDs anyway so I'll report back with how I get on.

Cheers,

WB.

It works. In A10C it works out of the box. In FA18 you have to map it yourself *and* you need to buy one extra pair since FA18 has three MFDs.

Also, when you manually map it via in-game Controller setup keep this post in mind:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3506953&postcount=8

Z8bIFFl.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

TM MFDs work fine with Hornets...I'd suggest finding someone and splitting a set to save money...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

It works. In A10C it works out of the box. In FA18 you have to map it yourself *and* you need to buy one extra pair since FA18 has three MFDs.

Also, when you manually map it via in-game Controller setup keep this post in mind:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3506953&postcount=8

Z8bIFFl.jpg

Thanks for that link !

I never said they didn't work. I said they don't match or autoassign like in some of the others. You can still use them, you just have to set it yourself.

As for buttons, I thought the hornets had six or more to a side while the others have five? -edit actually no... Supers maybe? Or something else maybe?

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use this...

IMG_20181213_221905896.thumb.jpg.618faeeeb7a04ee3342cdef72bbada98.jpg

IMG_20181129_205608255.thumb.jpg.4d7068b60123258f62dd108cc83e6d86.jpg

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

I use 3 MFDs with the Hornet, but even with 2 MFDs, you can use a modifier to map one of your MFDs to the AMPCD. For example, if you assign the pinky button on your stick as a modifier in DCS Options, then holding down the pinky button while pressing one of the OSBs will give you a different assignment than just pressing the OSBs. You don't need programming software to do this; you can do this natively in DCS.

I use 3 MFDs with the Hornet, but even with 2 MFDs, you can use a modifier to map one of your MFDs to the AMPCD. For example, if you assign the pinky button on your stick as a modifier in DCS Options, then holding down the pinky button while pressing one of the OSBs will give you a different assignment than just pressing the OSBs. You don't need programming software to do this; you can do this natively in DCS.

That´s how I used them till the day I bought the 3rd one.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 1 month later...

Hi Hansangb:

Quick note: My MDI PB's (Left, Right and, AMPC) map and correspond exactly to my Three Cougar F16 MFD PB's (i.e.: Left MDI PB 1 --> JOY_BTN1, etc.). I see from the above, there is a variant in the MDI PB to JOY_BTN mapping (i.e.: Left MDI PB 1-->JOY_BTN16). That's completely different from my F/A18 Control dropdown Setting's display. What gives - Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Hi Hansangb:

Quick note: My MDI PB's (Left, Right and, AMPC) map and correspond exactly to my Three Cougar F16 MFD PB's (i.e.: Left MDI PB 1 --> JOY_BTN1, etc.). I see from the above, there is a variant in the MDI PB to JOY_BTN mapping (i.e.: Left MDI PB 1-->JOY_BTN16). That's completely different from my F/A18 Control dropdown Setting's display. What gives - Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Yeah, the OSB numbers on the MFDs don't map to the ones in the game. You just have to adjust it manually. Cougar OSB16 --> Hornet PB1, Cougar OSB17 --> Hornet PB2

So you have to map it like this:

K0SpIDe.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hansangb:

Sorry I'm just getting back. Life got in the way and I've been flying my desk at work. I've remapped my DDIs and AMPCD and they are working as desired. Now I have to redo my .lua script since my MFDs are once again blurry after updating DCS tonight. My modest Hornet pit is still a work in progress and I've got a long road ahead. But thanks again. Without your assistance I would never have figured out how to map my MFD buttons. Kinda like trying break the Enigma code.

Best regards,

Mike "Mad Max"

i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz 4.01, 32 Gb Cosair Vengence RAM, Z170A Gaming Pro MOBO, ASUS (2x) Nvidia GTX 970’s 4Gb OC Edition, DELL U3415W 34” Curved Screen Monitor, LG IPS LED 32” Monitor (1920x1080), ASUS VT207 19.5” Touch Screen Monitor, MIMO UM-760C (Capacitive) 7” USB Touch Screen Monitor, Samsung Galaxy TAB A 10.1” Touch Screen Android Tablet, TM Cougar HOTAS & TM Warthog HOTAS (using Warthog FCS & Cougar TQS w/ TUSBA TQS R2), TM Rudder Pedals & SIMPED-Vario Rudder Pedals w/RUSBA R2. (using TM Rudder), TM Cougar MFD’s (3x) , Viper Gear ICP V1.7, Track IR 5, Corsair VOID RGB SE 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless Headset, Andre’s Gametrix Jet Seat W-908, BMS U5, DCS World (Multiple Modules and Theaters) , BMS, X-Plane, MSFSX, P3D, YAME, HELIOS, TM Target GUI, Voice Attack, Vaicom, VMT, Simshaker Wings & Simshaker for Aviators, Buttkicker Gamer 2. Air Force Playseat.

Glad it helped! And spring training just started so it's all good! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 10 months later...

I suppose this thread is old., but I got two sets of MFD's.

Main two autobinds for the left and right screen in the Hornet no problem, then manually mapped the third MFD, and I use the fourth MFD as a button box by my side mounted stick, one of it's main uses is recenter HMD, labels, kneeboard functions, f10 map, and back to pit, as well as hornet specifics like swithing between barometric and rad-alt, course line and AP heading buttons.

I honestly use my fourth MFD just as much as any of the others.

Only finagling that might need doing is the game autobinds these to the "wrong" mfd you can swap the name of the files DCS generate for bindings under "saved games\dcs\inputs\ etcetc.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.