Anyone using an OLED?

I've been using a 58-inch 4k TV in DCS for four years now. It seems that OLEDs are universally recognized as having better picture quality compared to LED/LCDs, but I've been wondering how that applies to DCS?

Have any of you upgraded from a large LED/LCD to an OLED? Is it really that much of an improvement?

I've been using a 58-inch 4k TV in DCS for four years now. It seems that OLEDs are universally recognized as having better picture quality compared to LED/LCDs, but I've been wondering how that applies to DCS?

Have any of you upgraded from a large LED/LCD to an OLED? Is it really that much of an improvement?

I wouldn't mind trying one myself, but the co$t is just nuts!

It costs even more than the screen itself, because if you want the absolute best picture quality, you're gonna be running a 4K screen at the highest graphics settings, and that means you'll need the almightiest of video cards, forged from cosmic-energy infused Unobtainium in the fires of hell by the Devil himself.

That sort of thing tends to get a little expensive.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

the almightiest of video cards, forged from cosmic-energy infused Unobtainium in the fires of hell by the Devil himself.

A single 1080 Ti will do the job very well. It will give you Ultra 60fps 4K on any game these days especially DCS

The concern I would have about using an OLED for gaming is they can suffer from burn-in compared with LCDs.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

...and that means you'll need the almightiest of video cards, forged from cosmic-energy infused Unobtainium in the fires of hell by the Devil himself.AD

No wonder the only way I can get rid of my old cards is to cast them into the fires from whence they came!

A single 1080 Ti will do the job very well. It will give you Ultra 60fps 4K on any game these days especially DCS

The concern I would have about using an OLED for gaming is they can suffer from burn-in compared with LCDs.

Strange, my 1080ti just manages to to keep 60Hz, sometimes dropping below that, with HIGH/Extreme settings.

I highly doubt my system would give the same FPS if I switched from 2560x1440 to 3840x1800.

So somewhere between the lines definitions of HIGH or Extreme must differ.

With HIGH/EXTREME I mean, all sliders to the right, MSAA2x + SSAA1.5x ( works now with latest patch ), extreme visibility, 1024 cockp. res, effects etc. all ON to make it look great. That way it hovers around 60fps in dense areas and as usual goes way up over the desert or vast empty areas.

No, I dont think the 1080ti is capable of running DCS with this todays patchlevel at 4k at 60fps at highest settings.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I used a 55" LG OLED for PC gaming last year. Burn in was noticeable after a time, you just can't get away from it with a Win OS, you'll have to be on the desktop/etc long enough over time for burn in to happen.

Switched to an LG Nano Cell 65" instead, been running it all day, like 20 hours a day probably, on a PC desktop and for some gaming, and no burn in at all, still works like new after 6 months now. It's the best option IMO for using a TV for PC gaming until the nVidia 65" Gsync screens become available in a few months, and those will be 3x the cost I'm sure of the LG Nano Cell tvs, if not more.

OLED looked great for PC gaming, and great at everything else too. Still use it for Netflix, best TV under $2000 is the LG Oled 55" IMO, so long as you aren't using it for PC gaming (burn in risk).

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

DCS does NOT give you ultra 60fps or whatever you call it with a 1080 Ti on a 4k TV period. Very bad advice !!!

You have just Vsync option with an OLED TV and your frames will drop very often in 4K. Lots of trees, low level, etc ... The FPS will dip down below 60 and with no Gsync n Freesync you will get massive stutters.

You could disable all the bells n whistles in the graphic options or set your fps target to 30 but that would be the next bad advice.

8700k, 32gb ram, 1080 ti here. Believe me, been there, done that. Ultra settings will give you the full range when it comes to fps. More than 100 down to almost 30 if you fill your screen with trees, cities, shadows, other aircrafts, etc.

You need Gsync or Freesync to max out graphics, then you won't notice the frame drops.

I use the Samsung in my sig. It's "Q"LED not OLED. But that's what I went with because of the burn in issue. Colors and blacks look better than any TV I've owned. I've owned several 4k LEDs but never OLED. So I can't fairly compare.

Native 4k content from a PC or 4K disc player looks stunning. Screenshots and Youtube videos don't really do it justice. You have to see the native content on a good display. I was able to pick up a 4k disc player on Ebay for less $100.

And for the record, with the rig in my sig and the latest DCS patch and Nvidia 399 drivers I can max everything EXCEPT MSAA and SSAA and keep a smooth 60 fps at 4K. Low level over cities can definitely cause frame rate drops. Which map, mirrors, time of day (shadows), weather, fog, dust, AI objects on airfields, AI aircraft, also play a big factor and are good for stress tests for tuning graphics and finding bottlenecks. I was able to recently turn on global cockpit illumination with the latest builds and drivers, so there is definitely optimization happening somewhere. Cockpits look real good at night in moonlight with dimmed internal lights. Persian Gulf map is coming along nicely. Normandy, not so much, still stuttery compared to other maps.

In general after having played on a big screen for 2+ years, I highly recommend it. As we go into the shopping season and you're considering upgrades a big screen 4k should be a priority. Prices have really come down and quality keeps going up. Big screen TrackIR combo is very immersive. You can also talk wife and family into it because of movies, shows, and Netflix, etc. I keep mine on a cart so I can roll it in front of the couch, bed, or sim chair.

• 1 month later...

I swiped our LG OLED 55" from the lounge while my wife was out today, and I have to say that the picture was stunning. With HDR mode set on the HDMI channel, the dynamic range was epic.

My i6700K + 1080ti rig ran it at 4K/60 fps on the PG map with no stutters with most sliders maxed. I just wish I could afford one for my dedicated sim set up!

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Just got my new iPhone Xs with OLED and I am amazed, black is black again, it's REAL pitch dark black.

So yeah, OLED looks nice, but the burn in thing might still be an issue if you run a PC 24/7 like some/me do.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X