Control Profile Request to DEVs

Could we slip an "Off" and "ON" option in addition to the current "toggle" binding for the "Guns Safety Lever".

Of secondary importance, Could we slip an "Off" and "ON" option in addition to the current "toggle" binding for the "Fuel Tank Pressure".

In this time frame when control profiles are being changed, I think it's a good time to put this contentious issue to rest. Offs and Ons Please. I beg of you.

I am not running the beta at present so I have no idea whether this is being contemplated or accomplished as of yet.

My profile is so perfect and the Spits are wonderful other than those other 2 actual flaws.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Cams appear to be turned by the tang in the bottom cam protruding. This turns the cams which lines up the pins on them to enter into the buttons allowing them to travel inward and activate the trigger. When the cams are in the right position the buttons will not go in and the button can be pushed into place.

The button simply holds the cams from lining up.

It is not spring loaded or momentary.

The bottom cam can be turned in both directions to allow locking and unlocking of the safe button.

I am thinking the cam pops the button back up in one direction by a cam type action and opens the slot for the button to be pushed in effectively misaligning the pins and button holes and keeping the guns "safe". The cams are spring loaded back to center and the bottom one controls the top one for the button purposes and to line up the pins with the holes in the buttons.

Critical no. Conjecture. Yes. It sounds good if you say it fast.

My point is I should be able to "feel" that button up and it should be reliably guns free and safe when down. You can't "feel" a momentary spring loaded button but I can "feel" an off and on switch. Since ramp starts, runway starts and air starts begin with a default with different gun safe. I think a runway start should be guns safe but it defaults to guns free.

Regardless, I promise to do my pre-fights better so I can toggle things back proper but I get a little grumpy when I forget. it's all my bad. Carry on.

https://smnzone-scalemodellingno.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/gallery/br-hurricaneexplored/12-ar-fig-2-pneumatic-twin-gun-firing-button.jpg

Edited by DeepDrummer
bad link fixed

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

Of course we already should know this from the manual. Pic attached. Note where the arrow for # 5 is pointing.

Now that we have decided that people can update their DCS profiles manually instead of being forced to do so, can we ensure we are advised which modules have changed and when as they are posted?

If I took the profile now, it would wipe my own with no changes to the available key bindings. No?

That should be enough official confirmation that it is modelled wrong. I patiently await notice of the new Spitfire Key Binding availability to repair that one contentious switch. (and the one that comes on with the throttle needs a method other than mouse to shut it off). I will shut up now. I have done my part.

391885308_gunsafety.jpg.9a4081463732e60cf79fc7f3a4388c43.jpg

Many control-objects (the things you can bind to your controller's switches/keyboard keys) have per default only toggles to bind. They are basically setup for binding with keyboard key presses.

Most however can be modded for either an On/Off switch on your controller, or separate On and Off buttons. For the Spitfire these are defined in

'..\DCS\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX\joystick\default.lua'

and per default for the Gun Safety Switch look like this:

{ down = device_commands.Button_2, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.safety'), category = _('Stick')},

This can be modded in 2 ways.

{ down = device_commands.Button_1, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Gun Safety Switch On'), category = _('Stick')},

{ down = device_commands.Button_1, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Gun Safety Switch Off'), category = _('Stick')},

{ down = device_commands.Button_1, up = device_commands.Button_1, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Gun Safety Switch On/Off'), category = _('Stick')},

You will note that the 'device_command.Button' was changed to '1' from '2'. This was discovered through experience from other aircraft and testing.

In Case 1. only 'value_down' is used. 'value_down' refers to the state of the button/switch/key being in the asserted (pressed) state. If your were to bind this control to a key on your keyboard, when pressing and holding that key, the Gun Safety Switch would be set to Off. If you then released the key, the Gun Safety Switch would be set to On. So using these control-objects only make sense if your are binding to two buttons on your controller; one for On and one for Off.

In Case 2. I've combined these controls, by adding 'value_up', which refers to the un-asserted state of a switch. If you bind this control to a switch on your controller, it will allow you to use the switch for toggling the Gun Safety Switch On and Off.

Understanding controller switches:

Controller switches work like light switches. When you flick them in one direction, they complete an electronic circuit; in the other direction and they break an electronic circuit. This plays a significant role in how you must configure controller-switches in DCS, for DCS ONLY reads open circuits (switches in their 'Off' state), if the switch is bound to a control-object with 'value_up' defined.

In this description, we will assume your controller-switch is bound to the default control-object, and the Gun Safety Switch in the cockpit is set to On (you cannot fire guns or canons - safety is on).

When you flick the controller-switch to the asserted (closed circuit) position, DCS would toggle the Gun Safety Switch to Off and you can fire guns and canons. If you then flick the controller-switch to the un-asserted position, nothing will change, bc DCS has no definition for what to do with the switch in the un-asserted state. If you then flick the switch a third time (again to the asserted position) DCS will toggle the Gun Safety Switch to On again, and you cannot fire guns and canons.

Now lets bind your controller-switch to the Case 2. controller-object, and have the controller-switch start in the un-asserted state. When you flick your controller switch, the Gun Safety Switch gets turn off and you can fire. When you flick your controller-switch to the un-asserted state, the Gun Safety Switch gets turn on and you cannot fire.

Note: in the default control-object definition we see that the object name is 'Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.safety', but you will not find this in your control settings. This is because the Spitfire uses a text database for defining these text strings. In my modified objects I have used fixed texts to overcome this. These fixed texts will appear as in these modded objects in your control settings.

That's the whole magic behind controls and settings. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks Captain for your consideration.

I am using Thrustmaster Target. Assigning on and off are as simple as a drag and drop.

I could probably do that in parallel and allow DCS to control the actions of one switch but it would be with reluctance for sure. Things can get out of hand for me that way.

Would that be yet another thing I would have to redo every time there is an update?

All I am asking is for a factory stock keybind to turn the gunsight on and off.

Maybe ED can paste your code into theirs and assign a key to it..

It could even be a hidden keybind (there are enough of those anyway).

I completely refuse to edit the code of the company who received my money in order to make a non functioning simulated switch operate properly.

ED edits the code to accommodate a key press which turns this item on and a different key press (not a toggle) to turn it off and then advise what that key press is.

I then dial that keypress into my target script as in the pic attached.

If they could find it in their heart to supply a key press for the switch on their throttle to turn it off, that would be the icing on the cake.

I keep reading that if they have definitive proof of something, they will act on it.

The proof is there. Act on it.

I will give your idea a go.

This is quite stressful.

Can you imagine? I have to change lines in their code. Unbelievable.

Thanks Captain. When my heart rate comes back down, I'll take another look.

throt.thumb.png.49b8867431713e1f93d2840d0fe26b91.png

We won't talk about the fuel tank pressure on and off. *sigh*

Here is what it is stock:

-- Gun Sight Master Switch

{ down = device_commands.Button_18, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.gun_sight_master_1'), category = _('Gunsight')},

{ down = device_commands.Button_18, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.gun_sight_master_0'), category = _('Gunsight')},

{ down = device_commands.Button_19, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.gun_sight_master'), category = _('Gunsight')},

I'll mess with button 19 I guess.

I think Orso follows the "help yourself..." motto and so do I.

I have made many additions to the default.lua's of the various aircraft because I have been flying most of them from their beginnings and over the years I've come to the conclusion that this is not a priority for ED, or they don't have the resources to do it, or both.

I used to solve the issue mostly with TARGET as long as I used the TMWH stick, but I TARGET does not work with my VPC stick and DSD button box. So I do it in default.lua. And there are cases where you have to do it in default.lua because there are no separate ON an OFF command options in the stock file and you have to use info from clickabledata.lua to synthesize a new command.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

This is my code for the gun sight master:

{down = device_commands.Button_18, up = device_commands.Button_18, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Gun Sight Master 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Gunsight')},

and these are my other additions for the Spit:

{down = device_commands.Button_9, up = device_commands.Button_9, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Mixture Control 2-Pos. IDLE CUTOFF/RUN'), category = _('Engine Controls')},
{down = device_commands.Button_33, up = device_commands.Button_33, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Radiator Flap 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = device_commands.Button_35, up = device_commands.Button_35, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Pitot Heating 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = device_commands.Button_43, up = device_commands.Button_43, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Fuel Pump 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Engine Controls')},
{down = device_commands.Button_45, up = device_commands.Button_45, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Carburator Air Control 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Engine Controls')},
{down = device_commands.Button_37, up = device_commands.Button_37, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Main Fuel Cock 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Engine Controls')},
{down = device_commands.Button_7, up = device_commands.Button_7, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Nav. Lights 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Front Dash')},
{down = device_commands.Button_15, up = device_commands.Button_15, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Magneto 1 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Engine Controls')},
{down = device_commands.Button_17, up = device_commands.Button_17, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Magneto 2 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Engine Controls')},
{down = device_commands.Button_33, up = device_commands.Button_33, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Tank Pressurizer 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = device_commands.Button_16, up = device_commands.Button_16, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Gun Sight Tint Screen 2-Pos. ON/OFF'), category = _('Gunsight')},

The command "Mixture Control 2-Pos. IDLE CUTOFF/RUN" works with the cut-off switch in the WH throttle.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

ok wrong section. I'll probably end up with the prop on the tail. Working....

-- Safety Lever

{ down = device_commands.Button_18, up = device_commands.Button_18, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.safety'), category = _('Stick')},

Trying that.

Thanks guys. I am trying. It is quite frustrating.

The sim won't let me assign anything to the thrustmaster combined for gun safety so there we sit.

I'll give it another 10 min before I get the sledge hammer out.

No luck with this. Same toggle behavior.

{ down = device_commands.Button_1, up = device_commands.Button_1, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Gun Safety Switch On/Off'), category = _('Stick')},

I took my own target controls back out to ensure and had no action then.

*restoring things and never looking back*

I'd fly the mustang but then there's this "toggle" on the gear. *sigh*

That's enough for today. Thanks for trying. I really am the worlds worst at this sort of thing.

I looked through the default keyboard lua file and I can see the difficulties to getting that done. I have edited my sheets and controls to use a momentary push button for the safety only.

It's going to bug me every time.

A momentary push button is a "toggle"

A switch, lever, tang, really should have an off and on.

The Pilot could feel the gun safety indicator and the tang that put it in and out of safe mode. We cannot. I bought and then stopped flying the p-51 because it had a "toggle" on the gear.

I am pretty sure the mustang didn't have it's gear on a momentary push button or a mouse in the cockpit other than the ones that eat cheese.

Maybe they will get the P-47 correct.

I agree with you philosophically, but such is life. I tried around a bit, and this code line works for the guns safety:

{down = device_commands.Button_1, up = device_commands.Button_1, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Guns Safety Lever 2-Pos FIRE/SAFE'), category = _('Stick')},

I assigned the new command "Guns Safety Lever 2-Pos FIRE/SAFE" to Boat Switch Forward (JOY_BTN9) on my WH throttle.

Even after overriding the cockpit switch with a keyboard command, the switch still operates correctly.

You might not have messed with the default.lua before; so some advice:

1. Changes to the default.lua are recognized when you start DCS world. So you should get out of DCS world before you make these changes.

2. Use the free Notepad++ for editing the file.

3. Do not overwrite stock lines but add your lines to the file.

4. Added lines must be between this line at the top of the file:

keyCommands = {

and this line near the end of the file:

},

I recommend you insert them just below the line

keyCommands = {

5. If you don't like the name "Guns Safety Lever 2-Pos FIRE/SAFE" you can change it; but it must be unique!

The new command "Guns Safety Lever 2-Pos FIRE/SAFE" will appear in Options / Controls. Bind it to the switch of your choice.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

8<

All I am asking is for a factory stock keybind to turn the gunsight on and off.

8<

These are keybinds:

attachment.php?attachmentid=196460&stc=1&d=1540222173

All those things under the columns Keyboard, Joystick, and Throttle, are the BINDS I've set for my configuration to operate all those things found under the Action columns in the Category 'Stick'.

DCS does have a set of default values for some controllers, including the TM Warthog Throttle. But to expect ED to tailor the default settings to your personal taste....

Reading through your posts since yesterday, I have to assume I do not know what you are trying to do. You previously talked about turning Gun Safety on and off with your controller, and then bemoan about keyboard settings.

Unless you define specifically what you are trying to do, I cannot help you, sorry.

1103291802_SpitfireSimStickBinds.thumb.jpg.adcb890c23440b69722b04099c84b005.jpg

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Yes. The keyboard field is greyed out.

I want to insert a keyboard bind for on and one for off on two separate lines one of which turns the gun safety on (like the real plane. off and on and not specifically as a custom request from me). I need to be doing my editing in the keyboard default lua I think maybe. Probably messing with the icommand instead of the device command in the keyboard lua instead of the device.lua and assigning one line to 0 and one line to one which may allow me to insert a key bind for off and on and then assign those to the off and on of my switch.

If having an off and an on option for a switch that should have an off and an on is a request for a change just for me then that is pretty sad indeed. Might as well put everything on a toggle.

I am going to use what LeCuvier has suggested but I will apply that logic somehow to the keyboard.lua to an off and an on 0 1 lines.

I should be able to add a keybind (which I will use to program my controller via Target)and that is what I needed to know. Thank you for taking the time.

It is all helping. The bottom line is I could not have done this without you.

It is not there yet but I see the light I think. I'll let you know but I have to take a break every now and then to let the hair I pull out grow back.

Pullng your hair out = frustration in my part of the world.

These are keybinds:

Wow, I never would have imagined.

I understood that you wanted to use a maintained ON/OFF switch for the gun safety lever. That's what I provided. If you want to use the keyboard instead, you might just as well use the existing toggle command. Yes, the FIRE/SAFE command option I provided can be separated into two distinct commands that can be bound to keys. Make up your mind what you really want and tell us.

By the way, any mod that's meant to be used from the keyboard must be added to the "default.lua" under "...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX\keyboard". Then the leyboard field won't be greyed out.

LeCuvier

If there is no existing icommand, I cannot add one., Is that correct?

I understood that you wanted to use a maintained ON/OFF switch for the gun safety lever. That's what I provided. If you want to use the keyboard instead, you might just as well use the existing toggle command. Yes, the FIRE/SAFE command option I provided can be separated into two distinct commands that can be bound to keys. Make up your mind what you really want and tell us.

By the way, any mod that's meant to be used from the keyboard must be added to the "default.lua" under "...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX\keyboard". Then the leyboard field won't be greyed out.

Entering the exact line in both the default.lua still returns a greyed out keyboard section.

I DID figure that out and tried it. It needs an icommand in the keyboard section does it not?

You know what? Let's just close this thread.

The stress of figuring this out is bad enough without the B.S. demeaning remarks received from some. I'm out. Enjoy your day.

If there is no existing icommand, I cannot add one., Is that correct?

correct, iCommands are hardcoded in the system. You cannot create custom ones.

LeCuvier

These are keybinds:

Wow, I never would have imagined.

Yes, because you stated that you want DCS to provide you with a keybind, but keybinds are what you define.

I tried to clarify that the things you bind your keys etc to are the control-objects, but...

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

These 2 commands work with keyboard keys if you add them to "...Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX\keyboard\default.lua", or with a pair of buttons or an ON/OFF/ON toggle if you add them to "...Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX\joystick\default.lua".

{down = device_commands.Button_1, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Guns Safety Lever FIRE'), category = _('Stick')},
{down = device_commands.Button_1, cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAPONS, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Guns Safety Lever SAFE'), category = _('Stick')},

LeCuvier

...It needs an icommand in the keyboard section does it not?...

Not at all.

LeCuvier