Crash to desktop

bigian

Ah well, bit the bullet and bought f18c and the Persian gulf so that plus the mirage, us 33, spitfire, mustang and Hawk should keep me busy for the next decade. My five year old tired pc has given up and just crashes to desktop repeatedly now even with graphics at low. My question to the community I’ve been with for as long as the Warthog arrived is...

Do I buy a better graphics card or is the CPU not up to it and instead buy a new box which I can’t afford right now and can’t afford to fly real world either as my flight school shut up shop.

Spec is

Intel core i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz

8 GB RAM

Windows 7

Geoforce GTX 670

Warthog hotas, trackIR, saitek combat pedals

I know, you’re all laughing And falling off of your seats

Can’t afford it now but would love your thoughts and suggestions on the rig I need

Thanks

Ian

As cost is an issue , i think a 1060 would get you there .another 8 gig ram would be helpful too . My setup is modest , but works fine at 1080p .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

SvSmokey thanks for the prompt reply, are you saying that I could add a geaforce 1060 card to the existing system? And the 8 gig of ram. That would be incredible to keep me going in the short term. Pardon my ignorance does such a card require its own power supply and lastly is it reasonably easy to fit?

Thanks again

Ian

1000-series cards are very power-efficient . Prolly use less than your 670 . You can check specs online for power consumption . Prolly have to use motherboard video while you download Nvidea drivers and control panel . Beyond this , i am not qualified to say , particularly as i have no idea what motherboard you are using . If you can supply motherboard number , i would be happy to research further .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Quick search online suggests 1060 is a direct replacement for 670 , uses less power . I would recommend the 6gb .

Kinda got caught up in all the graphics card thing , but we never really addressed the CTD . Have you tried cleanup/repair , deleting fxo/metashaders ? Anything been updated lately ? (Drivers , Windows , DCS) . Does it crash in singleplayer ?

Edited by Svsmokey

Thanks so much for taking the time over this. I upgraded dcs to most up to date version before loading the gulf map and f18c. Yes it’s crashing in single player. I can check the motherboard number tomorrow. What’s fxo you mention deleting? I’m sure the shaders are off with the graphics at low.

Typically C:\users\ your name\Saved Games\DCS\FXO

and same \Metashaders

May be 2 metashaders . Delete both and Fxo .

DCS will rebuild these files when next you start it . Will take a few minutes .

This may fix the crashing .

Also , recommend downloading free Skatezilla GUI . You can find it in these forums under English>DCS World Topics>Mods and Apps>DCS Mods . Use it to run "Repair" and "Cleanup" .

This may also help with crashing , and will prove very useful down the road .

Don't worry about motherboard as cards are direct replacement .

Edited by Svsmokey

Typically C:\users\ your name\Saved Games\DCS\FXO

and same \Metashaders

May be 2 metashaders . Delete both and Fxo .

DCS will rebuild these files when next you start it . Will take a few minutes .

This may fix the crashing .

Also , recommend downloading free Skatezilla GUI . You can find it in these forums under English>DCS World Topics>Mods and Apps>DCS Mods . Use it to run "Repair" and "Cleanup" .

This may also help with crashing , and will prove very useful down the road .

Don't worry about motherboard as cards are direct replacement .

Svsmokey,

I’ve deleted files as you directed, installed Skatezilla and the 1060 6GB card is almost ordered.

Many thanks for the support so far

Ian

Svsmokey's advice seems sound - I am running a 1060 card and it works well.

I would also +1 his comment about another 8gb of RAM. Crucial.com has a scanner that will look at your system and give you a list of memory guaranteed compatible with your current hardware - best to buy a matched pair of memory modules (e.g. 2x4gb rather than 1x8gb) to fit (depending on their recommendation)

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Do you have a ram pagefile enabled ? It should be setup for twice your ram , or in windows auto . Are you running DCS stable or open beta ? How about your hard drive . Is it completely full or do you have plenty of room left ? Sure wish someone with more expertise would chime in here .