Pixel Density: Odyssey vs. Rift

obious

Hi All,

After a 5 year hiatus, I've returned to the world of DCS and have jumped straight in at the deep end.

I'm running a i7 3930k OC'd to 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM and a recently purchased 1080ti to replace the GTX680 that was top of the range back when the PC was built.

Long story short, I bought an Oculus Rift to go along with the 1080ti and I honestly can say the immersion is amazing, I really doubt I'll ever be going back to using a screen for DCS. However, after trappin' the F-18 on an LG 34" Ultrawide which I've been running with a native resolution of 3440x1440, I'm a little dissappointed by the resolution (or lack thereof) of the Rift.

I know the Ti is outputting effectively two monitors when using the Rift but for me, the lack of clarity is a small but nagging issue. I've been thinking about trading in my Rift for a Samsung Odyssey (I've heard Waggs uses one) as the resolution is a little better. I'm currently running a PD of 1.6 but the question is, if I switch to the Odyssey, will it be any clearer?

Thanks!

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I am sure there are some that have done just that, gone from the Rift to the Odyssey and can maybe better describe how they feel it improved.

But do understand with current generation of VR, resolution is an issue with all of them.

I myself elected to just stick with my Rift, as I really like it overall but I do use it in other games like Touch supported games.

I am holding out for that big improvement, as in a full second generation product.

I have been using mine since Jan 2017, and have not done any gaming on my monitor since.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

While I am dissappointed Oculus has not yet announced a Rift CV2, I think they are probably taking the right approach. They will do so when they have the technology to really make a difference, both in visuals and just as important in performance in being able to run those visuals.

Their Half Dome tech is looking pretty exciting, with Varifocal Lenses, Foveated Rendering, Eye Tracking and so on. But sounds like it is still a bit of a ways off.

I think folks will really struggle with the new Pimax offerings whenever they do become available, to do what we do here with it. But we shall see.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have an Odyssey but would recommend the pimax 5k+

CaptainX, how is the Odyssey? I’ve head multiple reports of people both not liking it and others claiming it’s ‘better’ than the Rift

Also, how are people measuring FPS when using the Rift/VR? Fraps?

Edited by obious

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

CaptainX, how is the Odyssey? I’ve head multiple reports of people both not liking it and others claiming it’s ‘better’ than the Rift

Also, how are people measuring FPS when using the Rift/VR? Fraps?

I just use the in game fps counter.

Don B

I just use the in game fps counter.

But how? I've mapped the trigger to a button on my HOTAS stick but it won't appear in the Rift when I press the button. Does it only appear in the Rift mirror on the monitor?

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

But how? I've mapped the trigger to a button on my HOTAS stick but it won't appear in the Rift when I press the button. Does it only appear in the Rift mirror on the monitor?

Mapping fps counter to a button does not work in DCS for some reason, even though it allows you to do so.

CTRL + Pause/Break will display the fps counter.

It will display in the Rift.

Don B

The Odyssey is more clear than the Rift there is no question about it. Its not as comfortable and has a smaller sweetspot but ive gone from having a hard time reading anything in the Huey to reading everything.

Pixel density, well of course you cant run the same but you got more physical pixels which is better anyway. Their ASW tech is also top notch (close to 0 ghosting/distortion) so you can do 45fps and have it feel great.

Ill be bying the Pimax 5k for its FOV later but might keep the Odyssey depending on the software side of Pimax. I could never go back to the Rift or Vive.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

The Odyssey is more clear than the Rift there is no question about it. Its not as comfortable and has a smaller sweetspot but ive gone from having a hard time reading anything in the Huey to reading everything.

Pixel density, well of course you cant run the same but you got more physical pixels which is better anyway. Their ASW tech is also top notch (close to 0 ghosting/distortion) so you can do 45fps and have it feel great.

Ill be bying the Pimax 5k for its FOV later but might keep the Odyssey depending on the software side of Pimax. I could never go back to the Rift or Vive.

Awesome, thanks trigen, that’s what I wanted to know. How was the setup? I only ask as the Rift failed to register the sensors on a dedicated USB PCIE board I bought; ended up using the Mobo usb slots

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I have both, i use to go back to the rift because the asw was superior. Well WMR asw is far superior now its amazing. Not only better resolution, but the contrast and colors are way better on the samsung.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I have an Odyssey but would recommend the pimax 5k+

The Pimax 5K isn't even out yet. I had the Pimax 4K. It was, by far, the most poorly engineered, assembled, and supported piece of equipment I've ever purchased. I hope Pimax has gotten their act together but there is nothing I've seen to date that indicates it.

BTW. The Odyssey is pretty sweet.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Ok, so I think I’ve finally understood pixel density but I’m struggling to understand how that relates to performance, specially when comparing the Rift vs. the Odyssey.

Let’s say that I’m currently able to run around 35-45fps with a PD of 2.0 on my Rift. Due to the Odyssey’s higher default resolution, I’ve calculated that I’m able to get the same resolution on the Odyssey by setting the PD to 1.5. Question is, how would this impact performance and how would this actually look since the Odyssey has physically more pixels but the resolution is ‘technically’ the same? I’m guessing FPS would stay the same but I should see an improvement in clearity/resolution despite the total number of pixels being rendered on both headsets is the same?

Cheers

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

The difference between the Rift at a PD of 2 versus the Odyssey at a PD of 1.5 is very minimal. FPS will be nearly identical and the resolution of the Odyssey is slightly higher but the focal point of that resolution is more narrow. As others noted, the lettering on the cockpit gauges is a bit clearer and the colors are ever so slightly richer with the Odyssey. The level of detail when looking around is almost exactly the same. In short, if I was flying by instruments all the time, I would prefer the Odyssey and if I wanted to view the scenery and look at the ocean and the cities, I would prefer the Rift. The Rift is better supported though for DCSW and for the end user, has less problems and possible glitches

Disagree, wmr has better asw and the hand controllers work in the sim now. Big difference with colors compared to rift and much better night presentation in the odyssey

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I have both and much prefer the Rift. I agree the Odyssey does look better, but it is not comfortable, has poor sound vs Rift and a small sweet spot to get the resolution perfect. Also, when moving quickly like a quick roll or dogfight, the Odyssey is blurry (double vision thing) while the Rift is more smooth. I guess that is the ASW on Rift working better than Odyssey's solution.

I have both and much prefer the Rift. I agree the Odyssey does look better, but it is not comfortable, has poor sound vs Rift and a small sweet spot to get the resolution perfect. Also, when moving quickly like a quick roll or dogfight, the Odyssey is blurry (double vision thing) while the Rift is more smooth. I guess that is the ASW on Rift working better than Odyssey's solution.

Have you edited the settings file (mixed reality in steam) to turn it on cause its not on by default? I've tested throwing my head around like a mofo and you only get some distortion around edges, practicly no ghosting. If you drop below 45-50 you will get massive judder though

Awesome, thanks trigen, that’s what I wanted to know. How was the setup? I only ask as the Rift failed to register the sensors on a dedicated USB PCIE board I bought; ended up using the Mobo usb slots

Had no issues and it only uses one slot + the one for your USB Bluetooth stick so 2 in all. Need to get your own 4.0 compatible but they are cheap. Gotta mention that the controllers suck battery so get rechargeables

Apart from the rest depending on what you are doing and flying time be prepared for some modding though. I usually fly for about an hour at a time and not moving my head to much as I'm a heli (and mostly civilian) pilot mainly. Sometimes I need to lift it up to let my forehead get some relief. They really should have done better on that. So if ur flying a long time take that into consideration.

So I’ve just spent the last 4 hours trying to get the Odyssey to work. I’ve installed a PCIE USB3 cars in my pc as the motherbaord’s USB ports weren’t compatible. I’ve set everything up via WMR and installed steamVR only to be told that steamVR can’t start when I try and launch it.

I can use the headset in WMR (can walk around the Windows VR Home) but whatever I do, I can’t launch SteamVR. I’ve tried uninstallling, reinstalling and nothing works. Anyone got any ideas? This is so frustrating.

Thanks!

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I have both the HTC Vive (first Gen) and the Samsung Odyssey. I now exclusively use the Samsung Odyssey just for DCS and sims in my home build cockpit.

I setup the Odyssey without the controllers on purpose and set as a seating only and I have never had any issues with it. The clarity is far better than the Vive first Gen and it is smooth graphics with a NVidia 1080GTX, Intel i7-6850K at 3.6GHZ no overclocking. PC has 64GB ram but DCS doesn't need that much.

I love the Odyssey so much for DCS and simming that I pulled apart my 3 TV setup in my sim.

So I’ve just spent the last 4 hours trying to get the Odyssey to work. I’ve installed a PCIE USB3 cars in my pc as the motherbaord’s USB ports weren’t compatible. I’ve set everything up via WMR and installed steamVR only to be told that steamVR can’t start when I try and launch it.

I can use the headset in WMR (can walk around the Windows VR Home) but whatever I do, I can’t launch SteamVR. I’ve tried uninstallling, reinstalling and nothing works. Anyone got any ideas? This is so frustrating.

Thanks!

Open up WMR first. Then, open steam and start Steam VR. Steam VR will open over the WMR screen. After that is when you can launch DCS either Steam or non Steam version. I use non-Steam DCS version with the Odyssey.

Also, dont use the controllers for the Odyssey if you're just going to Sim.

Thanks!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Open up WMR first. Then, open steam and start Steam VR. Steam VR will open over the WMR screen. After that is when you can launch DCS either Steam or non Steam version. I use non-Steam DCS version with the Odyssey.

Also, dont use the controllers for the Odyssey if you're just going to Sim.

Thanks. I tired that but DCS just launches in normal full screen monitor mode, despite the VR option still being ticked under settings.

Edited by obious

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Have you installed windows mixed reality In steam? Search for it in the store

Yes you need to install the steam windows reality version also.\

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||