Ryzen or Intel

Are you on budget? If yes then go with Ryzen. If not, Intel will be better, not by much, but it will be.

We may see a big difference though when the game switches to Vulkan API (and hopefully more cores will be utilized).

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Are you on budget? If yes then go with Ryzen. If not, Intel will be better, not by much, but it will be.

We may see a big difference though when the game switches to Vulkan API (and hopefully more cores will be utilized).

That's why I think a 9900k should be the minimum you get if you go Intel, otherwise you'll fall behind AMD eight core, even with AMD's lower IPC and lower clocks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd go with a 2700x Ryzen unless money is absolutely no issue. The price difference correlates in no way to the little more IPC the 9900k got.

Unless you play at a low LOD and 1080p, there is not much difference between 4.4G and 5.2G. As long as you can saturade the GPU it's sufficient CPU power.

I'd make the math and see what you can save and where to put that money elsewhere. maybe this way you can actually smoothen it out more effective than slamming the highest GHz at it. To my mind comes 32GB, 3200MHz or better, NVMe, good PSU, Gsync screen, etc... many ways to spend some extra coins :) Most of them have more effect than the missing MHz from 4.4 to 5.x

..and yes, if mine broke I'd buy an 2700x or 2950x threadripper but 100% no more Intel

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

That's why I think a 9900k should be the minimum you get if you go Intel, otherwise you'll fall behind AMD eight core, even with AMD's lower IPC and lower clocks.

9900k minimum? No, that's too much. I would say any modern 6 core would do. The 8 core is for future margin only. Granted Intel will have the advantage, but at the moment for anyone on a budget doesn't have to plonk that much premium into their systems.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

depends on circumstances. A year ago it was clearly Ryzen, as for same money as an 4 core I7 you could have an 8 core.

When the 8700K launched it leveled things up. Some saw the single threaded advantage the way to go, others like me saw that as a limitation of old DX11 games that didnt matter for the future anyway if they ran fine on both manufacturers now.

With the introduction of the 9900K the choice lies in budget. People with deep pockets should go with 9900K, on the other hand people who are on a budget and still want to go high end should go Ryzen 2700 (the 9900K gets 12-20% more performance but costs 80% more).

next year the balance will shift back to AMD as they are gunning for top spot with the 3000 Series Ryzen but will be priced at around 300-350$ maybe even cheaper due to new manufacturing process. I dont know what intel will do then. They dont have margin to lower their prices much due to manufacture costs of monolithic 14nm CPU's VS Ryzens 7nm multi chip CPu's.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

I don't think anyone can give you a reasonable answer to your question at the moment, because nobody knows, how DCS will perform with Vulcan. We'll see, when it's ready and until then everything is speculation.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

It's a very safe bet that Intel will always be faster...but that of course comes at a cost. 8700K is faster that 2700X...9900K will of course be pricey but it will also be the best gaming CPU money can buy ATM...it all comes down to wether or not your on a budget...I personally am not when it comes to my Sim hobby so I plan to get the best when it's available

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

It's a very safe bet that Intel will always be faster...but that of course comes at a cost. 8700K is faster that 2700X...9900K will of course be pricey but it will also be the best gaming CPU money can buy ATM...it all comes down to wether or not your on a budget...I personally am not when it comes to my Sim hobby so I plan to get the best when it's available

I am with you there, I have the i9 9900k on pre-order.

I blame it on VR...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am with you there, I have the i9 9900k on pre-order.

I blame it on VR...

HAHA yeah....I'm definitely getting at 2080Ti in the next couple of months and strongly debating selling my 8700K and getting a 9900K with them announcing support for Z370 MOBOs...I know I won't get much of anything now as far as a bump but thinking ahead to Vulkan API I want my system to fly...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

you can add as many cores as you want, but for 90% of all software, especially games, clock speed is king.

The Vulkan API will help spread that load amongst more cores.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

HAHA yeah....I'm definitely getting at 2080Ti in the next couple of months and strongly debating selling my 8700K and getting a 9900K with them announcing support for Z370 MOBOs...I know I won't get much of anything now as far as a bump but thinking ahead to Vulkan API I want my system to fly...

Yeah I also have a EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra on pre-order as well.

Dang this VR!

:doh:

Don B

Yeah I also have a EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra on pre-order as well.

Dang this VR!

:doh:

Get with the PROGRAM DBurne!!! It's a way of life! Either you commit or you don't! :D:D:joystick::pilotfly:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Get with the PROGRAM DBurne!!! It's a way of life! Either you commit or you don't! :D:D:joystick::pilotfly:

Lol, this time I am more than committed I think! Either that or maybe I should be committed one !

:helpsmilie:

Don B

9900k minimum? No, that's too much. I would say any modern 6 core would do. The 8 core is for future margin only. Granted Intel will have the advantage, but at the moment for anyone on a budget doesn't have to plonk that much premium into their systems.

I wouldn't go any lower than 8 cores if you're buying a new processor on an Intel platform. I would go with Ryzen if on a budget. But go Intel if you want the absolute fastest now, and guaranteed to perform well for many years down the road.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would hold off personally.. getting my 8700k when they first came out was a pretty tedious task and retail prices went from $389 to $419 (USD) and you had to watch retailers like a hawk to snag one before hardware scalpers tried to list them for $500-600.

I've got all 6 cores running @ 4.9ghz currently without delid on like 1.25 volts using an AIO cooler and barely breach 75C while stress testing (I keep my house pretty chilly admittedly). I'm glad I CAN upgrade to a 9th gen processor later without gutting my entire system if I want to but there really is no need for it right this moment. Wait til the newness wears off and maybe we'll be lucky and see some price drops next year. If the 9th gen CPU's weren't compatible with my z370 board personally I wouldn't be thinking about one in the future at all. It took me 6 generations to buy a new intel CPU and frankly I was GPU limited @3440x1440 as well as in VR which I'm trying snag a 2080Ti at retail price.

With soldered TIM the 9th gen K processors may be cooler and as a result easier to OC, but still, 8th gen intels should easily get us through the next 5 years if we want them too. I'll grab one if the prices ever drop.

If one were building an entirely new build I'd say the choice lies between the 2700x or a 9th gen intel chip, but for people already rocking a system that games well I'd say don't rush if gaming performance is all you want, especially if interested in VR or high resolutions which tend to limit you at the GPU anyway. We don't even know what differences we'll see with the vulkan api, or when ED will implement it.

To comment on the OP - if you got deep pockets build dat intel rig. I've been an intel fan since my first i7 kicked the crap out of the performance of any amd rig I ever built, but I have to say I'm impressed with what the 2700x offers and wouldn't scoff at someone's selection of it for a gaming rig.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Lol, this time I am more than committed I think! Either that or maybe I should be committed one !

:helpsmilie:

I'm going to start a business where I produce fake computer build receipts that total what you told your spouse it cost! LOL.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm going to start a business where I produce fake computer build receipts that total what you told your spouse it cost! LOL.

done that LoL !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

the answer is yes because Vulkan is more efficient using hardware although the margin of gain is unknown at this time

My PC specs below: