"Cobra-Resistant" MiG-29?

Aluminum Donkey

probably not the best example, but

(high volume warning, the guy decided to randomly yell as much as he can on the mic)

Bulgarian MiG-29A

also from the newsletter:

"A true model of the MiG-29 flight control system that allows you to perform the "cobra" and other "out of the envelope" maneuvers."

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3653951&postcount=163

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

And they say the F-16 is complicated designation system :D

Yeah :)

Alfa, how about the sub-variants?

There is a 9.12A and a 9.12B right?

Yes those are export versions - 9.12A is the warsaw pact version, while 9.12B is the one for other nations.

SE, 9.13 or 9.13s export version?

9.13 is the updated version(Fulcrum C) without N019M/R-77 - no export version of that.

9.13S is the MiG-29S - MiG-29SE for export.

Peru's SMT, is it base on the 9.19?

Don't know about that one - sorry.

Isn't the 9.41 the KR and 9.47 the KUBR?

Yes and no - 9.41 is the new single seat MiG-29K and 9.47 is the two-seat MiG-29KUB. When Russia adopted these, they added the "R" for "Russia" denoting that the aircraft had been "domesticated" with all-Russian equipment(no third party elements as for the Indian version).

Another one off aircraft that was interesting was the Sniper Mig-29.

Yes that was the Romanian upgrade(IIRC made with assistance from an Israeli company).

JJ

probably not the best example, but

(high volume warning, the guy decided to randomly yell as much as he can on the mic)

Bulgarian MiG-29A

That one, at least, is an example of what we can already do in the sim.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Alfa, how about the sub-variants? There is a 9.12A and a 9.12B right?

Those are export variants of the 9.12 - 9.12A is for the WP countries, 9.12B is for the rest.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Wohoo, this is fun :)

I'm not sure what actual AoA I achieved, but the fuselage was definitely at 90 degrees to the horizon. It's all more sudden than the Su-33, and it recovers much quicker and without input, rather than "hanging" for a bit at the extreme AoA.

Just a note, Damper off doesn't seem to be required to cobra. Only stick deflection limiter override. Having said that, it's also a hoot to fly with Damper off!

The other thing I notice about this plane is that the rudder authority is something else. You can almost sideslip-cobra!

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Just a little observation... Even with the pitch damper turned off, the MiG-29 is really resistant to the Cobra maneuver... Anyone else noticing that?

I can get a good snappy pitch-up at around 400-450 km/h, but even yanking the stick back all the way, it 'quits' at about 45 degrees AoA or a bit more. There isn't a sharp snap to vertical (90 deg. AoA or more) like there is with the Flanker.

Is this right?

Could it possibly be the "Pitch kicker"?, I tried to do a Cobra and the stick kept resetting itself to neutral about once every second, even though I held full deflection,

I found this in a MiG29 flight manual online :-

"The pitch kicker is designed to prevent inadvertent stalls by moving the control stick forward of neutral when either pich rate or AOA, or a combination of both, reaches the critical value. The computer triggers solenoid valves to operate the hydraulic actuators, which cause the taileron to assume an aircraft nose-down deflection and the control stick to move forward. Thus the pilot is immediately made aware of an approaching stall condition of the aircraft. A force of 17 kp, in addition to normal control forces, applied on the stick can override the pitch kicker.

"

Ive no idea how you would override it though in the sim if it is the culprit.

I guess you did no want to read the rest of the thread.

Press y for the stick deflector override

Press and hold LALT+9 for more than 3 seconds to turn damper off

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

No need to be sorry, you did nothing wrong. Just several post before mention all of this.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 5 months later...

without dampers been touched:

1- air brake on.

2- 2 seconds after. Throttle to idle and pull joystick all the way up for 1/2 - 2 seconds.

3- Full throttle with afterburner and barrel roll while you put the 29 back into horizontal, airbrake off.

4- vertical scanning on and kill this bad boy is on your 12 now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]