Getting started

CG_Justin

Hi all, I'm new here and have not flown DCS. I fly a couple different WW2 sims, but I've been interested in trying jets in DCS. Primarily, I want to get my rear end handed to me online. Is FC3 good starter pack for a newbie? Are there many populated servers where I can fly online?

Thanks in advance for advice!

"It has been a...challenging, mating season for Bird Person . . ." ~ Bird Person

yeah, fc3 is fine. most of the populated servers will be on the open beta branch.

get tacview to review your flights and learn exactly what happened. modern air combat relies more on your mental picture than the sight picture due to the distances involved.

Edited by probad

MAC will replace FC3 before the end of the year. There will be an upgrade option if you already have FC3.

You can buy FC3 aircraft individually if you want to save money right now, but the upgrade options might be limited. (You can always gift the aircraft to friends if you don't need them.)

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Hi all, I'm new here and have not flown DCS. ... Primarily, I want to get my rear end handed to me online. Is FC3 good starter pack for a newbie? Are there many populated servers where I can fly online?

Yes and yes ... :)

However, since FC3 is so near to being replaced by MAC, may I suggest that you first learn the free module Su-25T ? It doesnt allow for Air to air combat (except against helicopters :) ), but you will learn basic flying (landing, navigation, maneouvering with precision) and the skills will build towards what the FC3 or MAC aircrafts require.

You will enjoy Multiplayer much more if you at least learn on your own the basic navigation, landing and armament procedures .. I learned many years ago using these videos as a guide, they are not perfect but will teach you the basics:

aZT878Rylhw

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for all the tips! I got the sim installed yesterday but have not yet fired it up. I am also watching the videos recommended by Rudel. I will give the Frogfoot some hours before I dive into multiplayer. Can someone explain the differences between MAC and FC3? Is it worth buying FC3 now, or wait for MAC?

Thanks again for the help!

"It has been a...challenging, mating season for Bird Person . . ." ~ Bird Person

Can someone explain the differences between MAC and FC3?

From what I've read, MAC includes all of FC3 ... plus the following:

1) non-clickeable versions of the following aircrafts:

- F-86F

- MiG-15

- F-5E

- MiG-21

- L-39ZA

2) portions of the following Maps:

- Nevada

- Persian Gulf

Is it worth buying FC3 now, or wait for MAC?

Impossible to say, as we dont yet know what MAC's price will be, nor do we know how much the upgrade from FC3 will cost.

That's why I suggested to wait a bit, as MAC it's suposed to be release during the summer, so two more months at the most.

In the meantime you can learn a lot from the Su-25T, as it has a huge variety of armament and delivery modes.

In the event that you get to fully master this aircraft in less than two months, you can still play with the free clickable TF-51 Mustang, to experience first hand how much more inmersive the clickable aircrafts really are .. BTW you really need a form of headtracking to really apreciate the clickable planes.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...
Are you sure about this? i dont seem to have any other maps besides Caucasus :(.

Did you got MAC already?