TEWS and SU27 v Mig29

Hi All,

This may be an old question but the search feature doesn't appear to be working for the forums ...

Anyway the story goes, I was happily flying along at 40000k ft in the 169th server, set up for a max range HOJ attack (AWACS range and hostile declared) when all of a sudden I get a beep beep beep on the TEWS, a 29 symbol appeared on the TEWS display locking me at my 3 o’clock close . I immediately go into a hi G diving spiral decent looking for ET smoke trails (panicking actually), and manage to get visual on the "bogie" once passing through about 8000ft. Lock him up in bore site mode and bingo it's a friendly SU-27, argh!

So why does the F-15C TEWs display Migs-29s and Su27/33 as 29s?

Because they use the same radar.

Carefull by saying the "SAME". You know as well as I do despite being based on the migs radar, the one on the SU has a larger antenna and a better signal processor. Sometimes these little factors have huge large impacts.

The migs had poor range and target descrimination, but the SU has a much larger range, even if in their initial versions could not multi engage.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Carefull by saying the "SAME". You know as well as I do despite being based on the migs radar, the one on the SU has a larger antenna and a better signal processor. Sometimes these little factors have huge large impacts.

Let's just say that their signal looks the same. So, from a pure receiver's view they are the same.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

This is kinda OT, but how much does this apply to lockon (not just the radar... the entire article.) :huh: I always thought the Su-27 was better.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

The migs had poor range and target descrimination, but the SU has a much larger range, even if in their initial versions could not multi engage.

Yup, and it's modelled that way in LO/FC. Yesterday, I could not detect a single SU27 level and head on until 75 km. He (the SU27 playmate) was able to see and lock me below 100 km

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

Apparently, however, the MiG-29A at least had look-down shoot-down 'on paper only' ... in other words 'look down' search apparently worked very poorly, ie. you'd see the plane visually most of the time before it'd get picked up by the radar. And this isn't modeled in LO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

So why does the F-15C TEWs display Migs-29s and Su27/33 as 29s?

The N019(MiG-29) and N001(Su-27) radars are of the same design and share some 75-80% components.

The biggest difference between them is that the N001 radar has a larger antenna(some 1075 mm versus only 700 mm of the N019) that partly helps it to focus its beam better(isn't dispersed as quickly) and partly allows it to pick up weaker return signals(over larger distances), which in turn means overall better range performance. However, the similarities between the two sets mean that the "signature" as picked up by your RWR is similar and it cannot be distinguished - i.e. a given signal strength could mean a MiG-29 at close range or an Su-27 further away.......I guess the choice to use the "29" label is because the former is percieved as the bigger threat.

JJ

There is a way to tell them appart. Usualy both migs and SU's tend to lock at the same distance because in both situations they will be sharing the same missiles and tactics, even if the R-77 is slightly less ranged I have observed that they are all launched at similar ranges BVR (due to the tactical game of AHR VS SARH). Thus if you get locked by a mig and its launching at you, its signal strength will look much weaker and further away than a Su when doing the same, unless they are glued onto your 6 wich in that case it wont matter knowing who that is.

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals