BelgianF-16 accidentally shot on the ground

Suchacz

:doh:

Hot Shots movie live, or was Mr. Bean there on the visit? :D

...on the sadder side, two men were injured :(

"A maintenance worker accidentally fired a 20mm Vulcan cannon from an F-16 jet he was working on at Belgium’s Florennes Air Force Base earlier this week, destroying another F-16 while damaging another aircraft nearby, according to Scramble Magazine"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/14/belgian-mechanic-accidentally-destroys-f-16-fighter-jet-cannon/

Edited by Suchacz

And to add insult to injury, they seem to opt for the F-35 (I guess F-35A) for the replacement of their F-16s. Sad times.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

They won't be having the best reputation around the hangars for sure.I wonder how they got injured though, the cannon was firing away from their location.

I believe I read it was damage to the ears (to what extent?) by the loudness of the shots.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

:doh:

Hot Shots movie live, or was Mr. Bean there on the visit? :D

...on the sadder side, two men were injured :(

"A maintenance worker accidentally fired a 20mm Vulcan cannon from an F-16 jet he was working on at Belgium’s Florennes Air Force Base earlier this week, destroying another F-16 while damaging another aircraft nearby, according to Scramble Magazine"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/14/belgian-mechanic-accidentally-destroys-f-16-fighter-jet-cannon/

I read this news last week.. pretty jaw dropping :doh:

I know, where people work, errors are made.. but really.... these guy's (not just the guy in the cockpit, but also his colleagues) must have ignored multiple warnings and bypassed multiple safeties. Could have turned out much worse than it did.

A case of beyond incompetence, or very bad training/lead.

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hey, A kills a kill.

Hmm... good point.. guess this rectifies everything :D

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

And to add insult to injury, they seem to opt for the F-35 (I guess F-35A) for the replacement of their F-16s. Sad times.

How is that adding an insult to injury? What is their other options? I heard they were looking at Eurofighter, Rafale or Uprgraded Viper.

The last round was between Eurofighter and F-35, as Dassault didn't submit a proposal to the tender, but did a proposal directly to the government.

A very important aspect was interoperability with teh Dutch Airforce with which Belgium closely works together for advantages of scale.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]