Caged and uncaged

sven3d3

I think for the AIM120 the uncage sets from visual mode to normal. But I'm also lost between all those HOJ/LOFT/NORM/VISUAL/FLOOD usage.....

HOJ = home on jam, it'll basically home in on someone jamming - either they keep jamming and they get hit by a missile, or they stop jamming and you can shoot normally/know their range.

LOFT = the missile flies a lofted trajectory (it'll use its energy to gain altitude, where the air's thinner, there's less drag and it can conserve energy), should in theory arrive at the target with more energy/have more range.

VISUAL = Mad dog, it'll lock onto anything it can see in front of it and try to kill it (regardless of IFF)

FLOOD = your plane will direct a big chunk of constant radar energy out the front of the plane (using a device that looks like an airhorn, not the normal radar) and the missile will home on anything that is reflecting that energy

Thanks for the explanation! Basically I know what that meant, but I'm just lost about how to use/ activate those... Because some have to be selected through stores page, other only activate when uncaging, others are automatic it seems (if lock is broken seems to go in flood if I'm understood correctly).

For example is it wise to stay in LOFT at closer range, or should I click on norm in the stores page? What happens if I lock a target but don't hit uncage for the AIM120: it stays in visual on the hud but have a normal behaviour or is it a true maddog launch until active seeker sees the target I'm locking?

Is the manual updated for all that stuff by the way? Lot of questions with all those updates :p

Edited by Oldfox

Thanks for the explanation! Basically I know what that meant, but I'm just lost about how to use/ activate those... Because some have to be selected through stores page, other only activate when uncaging, others are automatic it seems (if lock is broken seems to go in flood if I'm understood correctly).

For example is it wise to stay in LOFT at closer range, or should I click on norm in the stores page? What happens if I lock a target but don't hit uncage for the AIM120: it stays in visual on the hud but have a normal behaviour or is it a true maddog launch until active seeker sees the target I'm locking?

Is the manual updated for all that stuff by the way? Lot of questions with all those updates :p

It's normally better to take it out of loft when you're close in, otherwise I find the missile pulls so much lead that it loses track sometimes - you can switch out of LOFT by pressing cage/uncage (and that'll put it back to normal).

The AIM-120 should go out of visual mode when you lock (try cage/uncaging again if it's still saying visual).

Flood should just be the default for the AIM-7 when you don't have anything locked.

As far as I can remember, you don't need to touch the stores page to toggle any of these - cage/uncage toggles them (or undesignate to go back to flood mode).

Thanks for the answers! I am referring to the different ACM modes. I don't understand for example this text from the manual: "This rectangle represents the auto acquisition scan pattern and can be slewed using the TDC controller when uncaged." And this: "At Early Access release, WACQ will include caged mode, but uncaged mode will come later into the Early Access process". What is caged and uncaged mode in this (page 112-113).

My native language isn't english so that can be part of my misunderstanding also.

My understanding is that WACQ mode as it's implemented right now is scanning a fixed rectangle ahead of you, but sometime down the road we will be able to slew that rectangle around with the TDC, essentially being an off boresight way of scanning for your target within visual range.