Destructible trees

amalahama

+1

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Not a priority at this stage but sure I agree... It really kills your mood when trying to strafe for a unit in the woods and it doesn't get a scratch because a tree withstood all your rockets.

I wonder how feasible this would be in regards to game performance...

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Even tough our CPUs and graphic card are getting stronger those days, there is always a cost to everything that you need to calculate to keep a constant framerate. This is all about what the game engine does.

Let's take an engine like Crytek with a fully destructible environment where even the leaves react to physic. I don't know if you guys played Far Cry 5, but get into a firefight in a wooden area and see how every bullet has an effect on its environment. It is completely CRAZY. BUT what happen is that you are fighting in a very small area of the map, so all the CPU / GPU concentrate their effort right there.

In the case of DCS, we are mostly always seeing kilometers around ...so having that calculation processing would be impossible with the current hardware available (but watch this in like 10 years from now ;) )

DCS has pretty good framerate and looks, but they have no choice to choose to leave out things like dynamic lightning, fully destructible environment and advance physic on the ground. They do this to keep the game running smoothly, while having a very detailed flight physic in place.

So it is all about choice... it will come one day for sure, when the hardware will permit it. With the modern game engine, the physic and the visual effect are easy to do ...really ...but all chosen features have a cost and there is a CPU/GPU budget.

+1. Considering we already test for collision, it's a tad more expensive, but i'd like to know how much in real terms.

I don't particularly like hitting trees and seeing the tree left as the survivor. It's personal ;)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Even tough our CPUs and graphic card are getting stronger those days, there is always a cost to everything that you need to calculate to keep a constant framerate. This is all about what the game engine does.

Let's take an engine like Crytek with a fully destructible environment where even the leaves react to physic. I don't know if you guys played Far Cry 5, but get into a firefight in a wooden area and see how every bullet has an effect on its environment. It is completely CRAZY. BUT what happen is that you are fighting in a very small area of the map, so all the CPU / GPU concentrate their effort right there.

In the case of DCS, we are mostly always seeing kilometers around ...so having that calculation processing would be impossible with the current hardware available (but watch this in like 10 years from now ;) )

DCS has pretty good framerate and looks, but they have no choice to choose to leave out things like dynamic lightning, fully destructible environment and advance physic on the ground. They do this to keep the game running smoothly, while having a very detailed flight physic in place.

So it is all about choice... it will come one day for sure, when the hardware will permit it. With the modern game engine, the physic and the visual effect are easy to do ...really ...but all chosen features have a cost and there is a CPU/GPU budget.

C'mon, it won't be the first game featuring this...

Or just change the collision mesh a little, so its only the trunk that stops stuff. Just to keep the same system in place, but tweak it a little.

Im guessing they are all instanced, so change one mesh, and all trees of that type is changed.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

It wouldn't be nearly as impossible as you make it seem, difficult and time consumer sure but we definitely have more than enough hardware power to do it with todays computers. You'd do what every other game does, create a relatively small area immediately around the player and only those objects can be destroyed. But like you mentioned we're talking about kilometers worth of destruction, so you'd have to be much smarter with how you implement it. So the aircraft would have a small bubble of destruction around it so if you crash or run into something it creates dynamic damage, then you could give individual weapons this same model. If a weapon gets X feet away from object Y then the presumed destruction can start it's calculations. an obvious oversimplification as in real life it would be a highly complex and time consuming problem to solve and we would probably notice a relative drop in performance but I don't think the game would be unplayable overnight if properly implemented. If ED dedicated time and resources to the problem it could be solved, the main issue is whether or not this really is that high of a priority. ED would probably also need to rework and optimize the rest of their engine to accommodate such a computationally intensive feature. Their recently announced WW2 damaged model seems to be the first step in this direction if you ask me.

TL/DR: DCS wasn't designed with destruction in mind, creating a dynamic destruction engine is do-able with todays DCS but would require a lot of work and game engine optimization. In other words it's simply not worth the enormous effort it would likely take.

Edited by moco
adding context and summarizing my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

On a mission where you are using a helicopter and your targets are grounded, the trees are your friends and the houses too. They protect me but sometimes they are an obstacle, I wish I could launch two missiles to open a gap in the middle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

• 4 years later...